Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Start of Free Agency 2.0
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
TiberiusRising


Joined: 03 Jan 2008
Posts: 8505
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blog.sfgate.com/raiders/2013/05/20/woodson-would-be-really-big-thing-to-go-back-to-oakland/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5490
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dessie wrote:
Baggabonez wrote:
JTagg7754 wrote:
Signing Woodson will give the fans more false hope. He won't help this team too much. We still have too many front 7 problems.


+1

Spot on. The best way to improve the team and the defense is to improve the offense and keep this putrid defense off the field by signing another FA WR like Edwards or Lloyd and adding eventual salary cap casualties TE Gresham (who was horrible in 2012 but will have similar Meyers type numbers) and LG Incognito. Wilson, who will eventually take over this season, will need weapons, outlet/dump off targets, and improved protection to keep him upright, extend drives and most important keep the defense off the field, where they will be the most effective.


We have just invested a #12 pick on a Cb and who else would be better placed to guide the rookie than a former NFL defensive player of the year. C-Wood also has a championship ring his experience would be invaluable to our young roster. He has played a variety of roles in Green Bay and I am sure we would limit his snaps. For the right price, I really can't see the problem.


Limited snaps on a near vet minimum would be a great deal and an excellent way to implement CWood! However, the sentiment around here suggests many would like to have CWood for celebratory purposes regardless of production.
_________________
Raiders 2014 Draft (check out my draft review tell me what you think)
Mancrush 2014: DE Clowney, WR Watkins, OT Robinson, LB Shazier, FS Brooks, TE ASJ, OG Jackson, WR Janis, OT Lucas, OT Tiny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPrestige92


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Posts: 5802
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.
_________________


的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CrapTakula


Moderator
Joined: 17 Jan 2007
Posts: 9186
Location: Gilead
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?
_________________


Bolansho Boro Begoz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 32195
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.
_________________

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Did somebody mention teens?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Baggabonez


Joined: 29 Apr 2010
Posts: 5490
Location: RaiderNation
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.


How many threads/replies are there about CWood's insignificant jersey number vs. Wilson's or Flynn's (or any other subject for that matter)? Which one will contribute to the Raiders success the most in 2013? Which one will be the most impactful? See the disconnect? Probably not.

Only in RaiderNation do we spend more time talking about the 3rd string QB and the jersey number of a has been then we do about the stellar performance of what looks like a 4th round steal.
_________________
Raiders 2014 Draft (check out my draft review tell me what you think)
Mancrush 2014: DE Clowney, WR Watkins, OT Robinson, LB Shazier, FS Brooks, TE ASJ, OG Jackson, WR Janis, OT Lucas, OT Tiny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BlackPrestige92


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Posts: 5802
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagga please be gentle when it hits the wire that CWood ain't a Raider....
_________________


的f Phil Jackson came back, still no coaching me, I知 uncoachable, I知 unsociable.
-Kendrick Lamar
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ch8878


Joined: 12 Mar 2012
Posts: 2620
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
Only in RaiderNation do we spend more time talking about the 3rd string QB and the jersey number of a has been then we do about the stellar performance of what looks like a 4th round steal.


Can't say I disagree with that statement, now if the injury prone players can GTFO I'll be much happier. Very Happy
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ZoomWaffle


Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Posts: 5350
Location: United Kingdom
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silver&Black88 wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.


+1

I think for some people it may be all about conjuring up happy memories of seasons past, but not for everyone. Yes, the idea of seeing WOODSON on the back of a Raiders jersey again sparks my interest because he was one of my favorite Raiders, but also because he happens to be better than any safety we have on the roster. I am not blinded by his celebrity, I know he is not the superstar he once was. he is like 36 or 37 and has declining physical attributes, but he is still instinctive, smart, and has coverage ability and ball skills that we lack in our defensive backfield. For me, I want better players on our roster. Woodson fits the bill. The fact that I have always wanted him back in S&B is just icing on the cake.
_________________


Silver&Black88 on the sig

La_Vader wrote:
I wouldn't trade Pryor for any prospect in this years draft. Quote me on that
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessie


Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 4405
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZoomWaffle wrote:
Silver&Black88 wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed a lot in GB. The celebrity purposes line of thought is completely off base.


+1

I think for some people it may be all about conjuring up happy memories of seasons past, but not for everyone. Yes, the idea of seeing WOODSON on the back of a Raiders jersey again sparks my interest because he was one of my favorite Raiders, but also because he happens to be better than any safety we have on the roster. I am not blinded by his celebrity, I know he is not the superstar he once was. he is like 36 or 37 and has declining physical attributes, but he is still instinctive, smart, and has coverage ability and ball skills that we lack in our defensive backfield. For me, I want better players on our roster. Woodson fits the bill. The fact that I have always wanted him back in S&B is just icing on the cake.


Totally agree. The whole celebrity thing is garbage.
_________________
bitty wrote:
I don't understand why everybody thinks Green Bay is the pinnacle of NFL franchises?
In my opinion they are a joke. In the last ten years there drafts sucked.
#clueless
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Silver&Black88


Joined: 24 Feb 2009
Posts: 32195
Location: Boston, MA
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggabonez wrote:
How many threads/replies are there about CWood's insignificant jersey number vs. Wilson's or Flynn's (or any other subject for that matter)? Which one will contribute to the Raiders success the most in 2013? Which one will be the most impactful? See the disconnect? Probably not.


The disconnect here is a result of you being so closed-minded. You do realize no one expects a pro bowl from him right? You do realize no one expects him to elevate our defense into a good one right? You're getting all up in arms about fans wanting a classic Raider back home, and able to assist our team. If thats you think thats wrong, then fine. But don't go around acting like you know everything and parade around like you're better than everyone else who wants him back.
_________________

ravens_rool28 wrote:
Did somebody mention teens?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22112
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed, but who cares. The whole 'mentor' thing is overblown. End of the day, these vets want to play and feel they should be. That's their priority. Look at Jerry Rice. The moment his role was reduced in Oakland, he starting whining. He wasn't 'mentoring' anyone nor did he want to.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
big_palooka


Joined: 30 Mar 2006
Posts: 22112
Location: ATL
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question I guess becomes how interested will Woodson be if he's not part of a winning team?

When the Raiders are out of playoff contention in early Oct. is he going to be putting in the work on and off the field?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
OakRaiders3828


Joined: 18 Aug 2007
Posts: 9878
Location: Pennsylvania
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing is bagga, this is a free agent thread, Wilson and Flynn are not free agents, however, Woodson is and the Raiders are interested. Therefore, discussion ensues and it's completely justified. There is quite a few threads about Wilson, Flynn and the QB position. In fact, one is titled "Tyler Wilson, QB" and a few others.
_________________
O A K L A N D R A I D E R S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dessie


Joined: 02 Feb 2006
Posts: 4405
PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_palooka wrote:
CrapTakula wrote:
BlackPrestige92 wrote:
^^ That's your interpretation brother. Some of us see a player who is still quite useful to have on a defense. Charles Woodson is still smart and capable. Sure, some of us do love CWood from back in the day but in no way do I think any of us want him here for celebrity reasons solely.

He's still valuable and he's perfect to have talking to DJ Hayden.


i love the idea of getting C-Wood back in silver and black. However, I've seen a lot of people talk about what a great mentor he'd be and from my memory, when he was in Oakland he was supposedly one of the "lazier" players in terms of studying film, practicing technique, etc. and he relied mostly on his tremendous physical gifts. Did this change in GB or am I way off on this?


It changed, but who cares. The whole 'mentor' thing is overblown. End of the day, these vets want to play and feel they should be. That's their priority. Look at Jerry Rice. The moment his role was reduced in Oakland, he starting whining. He wasn't 'mentoring' anyone nor did he want to.


That's Rice for you, there is numerous stories of vets being mentors, it also doesn't mean CWood isn't open to a mentoring role or that Reggie has seen his work ethic, film study etc and thinks that would be good for the younger players to learn off.

I'll trust Reggie on this one he seen him up close during his time at the Packers.
_________________
bitty wrote:
I don't understand why everybody thinks Green Bay is the pinnacle of NFL franchises?
In my opinion they are a joke. In the last ten years there drafts sucked.
#clueless
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Oakland Raiders All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 47 of 100

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group