Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Vince Young for back up?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Like Vince for our back up QB?
Yes
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 24

Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Don't forget we may have some read options in Trestman's playcalling, so he would also excel with that.

That is the only possibly reason you bring him hereÖand that isnít enough to have him as your backup because if Cutler does go down he canít throw the ball at a high enough level for us to win.

Who is your pick/hope for backup?

The way his market is looking right now I would make a run at Kevin Kolb...he clearly isn't starting material but as a backup in a scheme that is going to get the ball out of his hands quickly I think he could get it done as a spot starter.

He'd be a great backup - though I think that even in this market he is going to cost significantly more than we will have allocated for that position.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
Madmike90

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:
Don't forget we may have some read options in Trestman's playcalling, so he would also excel with that.

That is the only possibly reason you bring him hereÖand that isnít enough to have him as your backup because if Cutler does go down he canít throw the ball at a high enough level for us to win.

Who is your pick/hope for backup?

The way his market is looking right now I would make a run at Kevin Kolb...he clearly isn't starting material but as a backup in a scheme that is going to get the ball out of his hands quickly I think he could get it done as a spot starter.

He'd be a great backup - though I think that even in this market he is going to cost significantly more than we will have allocated for that position.

The long he stays out there the better and I haven't heard a peep about anyone showing interest in him...eventually he might have to take a vet min deal to just stay in the league then try and get something better next year.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to his Cleveland days, Trestman's backups have traditionally been journeymen who performed well when called upon.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Truthfully his mobility is the main reason. While Emery has done a great job of adding weapons and starting to repair the abysmal offensive line, I still do not believe we have a top 20 offense yet.

Our oline is still basically the same, just with one player added, and our best interior lineman injured. Without at least one more significant upgrade on the inside they are still a bottom tier line. Kromer will improve them, but schemes can only mask issues for so long and players like Webb, Carimi, Brown, Williams, etc will need more than one offseason to learn proper technique and develop continuity (especially if they have shifted positions).

Garza is still (as of now) our starting center and he has been mediocre at best the last few seasons.

Outside of Marshall and M Bennett we do not yet have a proven WR. Earl is a great 4 option and may become a solid 3, but Jeffery still has to stay healthy.

So if Cutler gets hurt VY could do designed runs, read options, and rollouts to get outside the pocket, and as he is not an accurate passer Trestman could teach him when to throw the ball away and protect the ball.

There are obviously better options for a back up QB, but I figured he would sign for the vet minimum he would be able to be productive in some manner even with the line as it is.
Bowler1215

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'd rather we draft someone in the mid to late rounds to compete for a back up job.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
How would you feel about having Young for a back up QB for a year or two? I personally think he would be a very cheap sign and he would be a decent back up QB. The guy has a great record and is very athletic.

He may not be someone you want to carry a team, but his win record shows he can do enough to win with a good defense, which Chicago has. Look at our win-loss record with Cutler out as well, I think he could fair much better, and even if the passing game isn't amazing with the guy, he gives an automatic boost to the run game.

How do you feel about it?
Nope.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowler1215 wrote:
No, I'd rather we draft someone in the mid to late rounds to compete for a back up job.

I'd rather we have someone capable of winning a couple of games ready to go when Cutler gets injured, and draft a QB to fill the 3rd spot.

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
Madmike90 wrote:
Sugashane wrote:

Truthfully his mobility is the main reason. While Emery has done a great job of adding weapons and starting to repair the abysmal offensive line, I still do not believe we have a top 20 offense yet.

Our oline is still basically the same, just with one player added, and our best interior lineman injured. Without at least one more significant upgrade on the inside they are still a bottom tier line. Kromer will improve them, but schemes can only mask issues for so long and players like Webb, Carimi, Brown, Williams, etc will need more than one offseason to learn proper technique and develop continuity (especially if they have shifted positions).

Garza is still (as of now) our starting center and he has been mediocre at best the last few seasons.

Outside of Marshall and M Bennett we do not yet have a proven WR. Earl is a great 4 option and may become a solid 3, but Jeffery still has to stay healthy.

So if Cutler gets hurt VY could do designed runs, read options, and rollouts to get outside the pocket, and as he is not an accurate passer Trestman could teach him when to throw the ball away and protect the ball.

There are obviously better options for a back up QB, but I figured he would sign for the vet minimum he would be able to be productive in some manner even with the line as it is.
Just getting our plays in on time will make the offense a lot better.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Bowler1215 wrote:

I'd rather we have someone capable of winning a couple of games ready to go when Cutler gets injured, and draft a QB to fill the 3rd spot.
We thought we had that with Campbell until he actually had to play. I fear that would be the case with Young as well.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:

Aint that the damn truth...

ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Vince Young for back up? Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

Aint that the damn truth...
If Jay actually has time to get to the line and act like a real QB people might be shocked. He finally got the power to change plays last year but rarely had time to do it. Now we are getting a guy from a league which makes them get plays in faster since there is less time between plays. THAT ability should transfer to the NFL without a hitch.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's a Cheesecake Factory near Halas Hall he'll never go to practice.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: