Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Bears LG James Brown?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: The Bears LG James Brown? Reply with quote

http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2013/3/26/4145846/nfl-free-agent-draft-chicago-bears-can-james-brown-starting-left-guard

With the 79th pick in the 3rd Round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Chicago Bears select, James Brown, offensive tackle, Troy...

That's a good pick by Phil Emery, as it fills a need and can also be considered best player available.

ESPN guru Mel Kiper Jr. had Brown ranked #54 on his Big Board. His NFL Network contemporary, Mike Mayock, had Brown as a top 5 offensive tackle at one point, in fact most scouts were pegging Brown with a 3rd round grade, and a top 100 prospect.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange situation. Kiper was higher on him than most - but still odd that he went undrafted. Have to believe there were character/background issues on the kid that hurt his stock and took him off of a few teams boards.

I'm hoping that the new coaching staff gets a chance to work with him - and who knows, maybe they've seen enough tape to think that they have an answer at one of the guard spots.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
DaMike

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has he shown enough in practice to be handed that job? I sure hope we bring in a FA or high draft pick.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
Strange situation. Kiper was higher on him than most - but still odd that he went undrafted. Have to believe there were character/background issues on the kid that hurt his stock and took him off of a few teams boards.

There were fears that he was going to sing "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," "I Got a Bag of My Own," or "Stoned to the Bone."

One thing they knew for sure, being a player's coach, Lovie did not have the backbone to sing "Papa Don't Take No Mess" and keep James on the straight and narrow. Therefore, it was all a risk/reward proposition. Cool
G08

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was removed from a lot of teams' draftboards for marijuana use.

He admitted as such.

That being said, I think he played 'okay' at the end of last season. Still left a lot to be desired but I think he has raw tools with which Kromer can work.
RidiculousJames

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say he was slightly below average in his games last season. But that's not to say he can't get up and try again, it's a man's man's man's world out there and if he feels good about it then we might have a brand new bag at LG. If he's the starter, I'll be begging please, please, please for him to do well.
2014 Adopt-a-Bear: S #45 Brock Vereen
Tackles: 34 || Interceptions: 1 || Forced Fumbles: 1
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So at the moment for guard depth the Bears have 2 former OT's converted to OG that have little NFL experience in general.

Now while Carimi and Brown could develop into solid guards they are at the moment GIANT question marks.

It will be interesting to see if they sign a free agent at guard before the draft.
JPeppers90

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
So at the moment for guard depth the Bears have 2 former OT's converted to OG that have little NFL experience in general.

Now while Carimi and Brown could develop into solid guards they are at the moment GIANT question marks.

It will be interesting to see if they sign a free agent at guard before the draft.

If that's our plan we are in a world of trouble, but i don't think that's what we do.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me if Brown was a prospect in this year’s draft I think we would all be viewing him as a potential 4th round pick because he fits the mold of the type of interior Olinemen that Aaron Kromer has developed with the Saints…he is a former college LT with the body type to play on the interior…he has the pass blocking skills & length to short set in Kromer’s scheme…he has the athletic ability to get out in front of the skill position players in the screen game which is key to the WCO that Trestman is going to install and that Kromer made such a dangerous weapon in NO…

What we don’t know is does Kromer have time to clean his technique up and make him a better run blocker in time to play in between experienced vets like Bushrod & Garza…I personally think he could be a starter for us because of his skill set…but I don’t really like the idea of going into opening week with him as our only option to start at LG…for me if we could sign a guy like Slauson for vet min then have an open competition for the LG spot with the best man winning out.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel Kiper is an idiot.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:

I'm hoping that the new coaching staff gets a chance to work with him - and who knows, maybe they've seen enough tape to think that they have an answer at one of the guard spots.
No character, no issues. There are guys that unaccountably fall underneath the radar every year for no reason, Brown was last year's. Bad luck for him, good luck for the Bears.
MonserinNC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont understand some of you guys, everybody was happy about an undrafted steal. Then when we actually are going to use him, you dont like him becuase he was undrafted?? Haha

BrotherlyLove wrote:
Cutler isn't sexy enough to be compared to sexy rexy, let's get real

Darrelle Revis wrote:
TEBOWSANITYMANIA
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
Mel Kiper is an idiot.

NFL.com had him as a second round pick. NFP had him as a third. Kippers rating wasn't that different from other prominent sites.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
DABEARSLCF04

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the kid some time lol. He was only a rookie this last year was he not?

Adopt a Bear.... Ka'Deem Carey.... HB.... Arizona
28 att for 130 yards 4.6avg. HALL OF FAME!
IronMike84

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
Mel Kiper is an idiot.

NFL.com had him as a second round pick. NFP had him as a third. Kippers rating wasn't that different from other prominent sites.

He still sucks.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: