Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Consolidated Mock Drafts Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:
not feeling the greene hype whatsoever. like picking up marlon brown as an undrafted free agent. Also like the williams and jefferson picks a lot. don't know chris harper, webster, collins, or any one else.

Why not? I love the kid. He might be my favorite non-rush LB in the draft. He has great coverage skills from his time at safety and can really take TE's out of the picture without having to devote a DB to them. He isnt a great blitzer, but he has a great burst on an a-gap rush that could be utilized. My favorite part about him his that his tackling technique is superb. He is not flashy at all but does his job well. Humble kid too.

I love Greene too. One of the few prospects this year that I really like, though I don't think he has a huge upside (i.e. he'll end up being a solid/steady pro but never a cornerstone of the LB corps). He does a lot of things well and has few glaring weaknessess to his game.

Eh, we have enough of those...

LB's who excel in coverage? Who?

He might not have a huge ceiling but his strength is where the Pats struggle badly.

LBs, relative to your statement. I haven't scouted LBs in this draft since we don't have a huge need. I'm not sure we need to use an early pick on a nickel LB though.

With the good possibility that Spikes will not return in 2014, I wouldn't think an early pick at LB is a luxury or a pure "nickel" type guy.

The Pats inability to cover TE's and receivers over the short-middle killed them last year - including in the AFCCG. An upgrade in nickel would be a big boost to the overall performance of the defense IMO.

And no, I don't think Adrian Wilson in a "nickel LB" type role is the solution.

Our issues with covering TEs have to do with scheme and gameplanning issues. I don't think it's so much that we can't. Doesn't change the fact that it is a problem. We usually don't cover TEs with LBs. Wilson can cover TEs, and we will use him there. He may not be able to keep up with the Grahams and Davis' (who can), but I think he'll be effective against Keller, Chandler and whoever the hell the Jets roll out there next year. Like I said before, we have an underrated drop back guy in Ninkovich as well.

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trade our first into the mid second and also pick up a mid-third round pick. Trade our second third round pick into a fourth and a fifth.

2a. Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virginia
2b. D.J. Hayden, CB, Houston
3. Montori Hughes, DT, Tennessee-Martin
4. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5. Braden Brown, OT, BYU
7a. Vince Williams, ILB, Florida State
7b. Nick Williams, WR/RB/KR/ST, Connecticut

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

I'm a cold-blooded dickens.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:
Trade our first into the mid second and also pick up a mid-third round pick. Trade our second third round pick into a fourth and a fifth.

4. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5. Braden Brown, OT, BYU

I'd be ecstatic with this turnout. Bailey is my top 3 favorite WR in this draft. I'm not sure Hayden makes it into the late 2nd anymore though. You don't see us drafting a S/additional DB?

Logan Ryan
Tackles:13 Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:3 INTs:1 Pick 6s:

Deadpulse Ink.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
rabbisson wrote:

4. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5. Braden Brown, OT, BYU

I'd be ecstatic with this turnout. Bailey is my top 3 favorite WR in this draft. I'm not sure Hayden makes it into the late 2nd anymore though. You don't see us drafting a S/additional DB?

We could with one of the sevenths, but I think that Ebner and Wilson still haven't written their full stories with the team.

Iggles wrote:
This guy gets it. Seriously, the ideas being espoused here need to get to 88 mph so they can go back to the 1950's.

Donut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rabbisson wrote:

4. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5. Braden Brown, OT, BYU

Wheaton not fall to the 2nd 2nd? was he taken before the first 2nd? i know how much you love his game and assume you'd try and get him and Bailey if possible.
rabbisson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
rabbisson wrote:

4. Josh Boyce, WR, TCU
5. Braden Brown, OT, BYU

Wheaton not fall to the 2nd 2nd? was he taken before the first 2nd? i know how much you love his game and assume you'd try and get him and Bailey if possible.

More that I don't think he'd fall to the third.

Iggles wrote:

goldfishwars

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a 7 round mock in the mock draft section, picking players from static positions (so no trades down, which I would absolutely advocate for us) and ended up with the following:

Round 1 - Pick 28:
Sylvester Williams, DT - North Carolina

He's explosively quick off the the snap. We need someone who can be a disruptive penetrator alongside our block swallower Vince.

Round 2 - Pick 61:
Markus Wheaton, WR - Oregon State

Was there at the bottom and will give us an athletic vertical threat on one side of the field, which will be nice to have given our other options at receiver.

Round 3 - Pick 93:
JJ Wilcox, SS - Georgia Southern

Under the radar Strong Safety who is good value here in a deep class of Safeties. He's big and physical as a run defender and impressive by showing good range in coverage during the Senior Bowl week.

Round 7 - Pick 221:
Mike Catapano, DE - Princeton

Rob Ninkovich like with his low athletic ceiling, but high IQ and great motor. Could develop as a rotational guy.

Round 7 - Pick 237:
Mark Harrison, WR - Rutgers

He's from Rutgers, kind of under performed there in terms of production - but gave many a glimpse of his potential with an impressive showing at the Combine. Moved exceptionally well for a man who is 6'3 and 221.
BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. KC - Luke Joekel, OT
2. JAC - Ziggy Ansah, DE
3. OAK - Eric Fisher, OT
*4. DET - Dee Milliner, CB
**5. ARI - Lane Johnson, OT
*6. ATL - Desmond Trufant, CB
*7. PHI - Dion Jordan, LB
8. BUF - Tavon Austin, WR
*9. DAL - Cordarrelle Patterson, WR
10. TEN - Star Lotulelei, DT
11. SD - DJ Fluker, OT
12. MIA - Margus Hunt, DE
13. TB - Sharrif Floyd, DT
14. CAR - Xavier Rhodes, CB
15. NO - Geno Smith, QB
16. STL - Kenny Vaccaro, S
17. PIT - Chance Warmack, OG
*18. NYJ - Barkevious Mingo, LB
19. NYG - Jonathan Cooper, OG
20. CHI - Arthur Brown, LB
21. CIN - Jarvis Jones, LB
22. STL - Sheldon Richardson, DT
23. MIN - DeAndre Hopkins, WR
24. IND - Jamar Taylor, CB
25. MIN - Manti Te'o, LB
26. GB - Tyler Eifert, TE
27. HOU - Datone Jones, DE
28. DEN - Kevin Minter, LB
**29. CLE - EJ Manuel, QB
***30. PHI - Matt Barkley, QB
31. SF - Jonathan Cyprien, S
32. BAL - Jon Bostic, LB

Patriots Mock:
1st Trade: Cleveland trades down from sixth overall to Atlanta, which is a team seeking a highly sought-after cornerback prospect in this years draft. Wanting to ensure they get EJ Manuel, Cleveland secures a trade with New England long before Philadelphia approaches with interest in the 29th pick.

2nd Trade: Now stationed at the thirtieth overall draft pick formerly held by Atlanta, New England is approached by Philadelphia after missing out on quarterback EJ Manuel to be able to select the next QB on their big board, Matt Barkley of USC. New England makes out like always, with a couple of trade downs and a handful of more value picks.

Day 2:
Second Round: New England acquires Philadelphia's 2014 first round draft pick and their 2013 second rounder (35th overall). In addition, New England acquires defensive tackle Phil Taylor, (former first round pick), from Cleveland along with their fourth round pick (104th overall) and the 30th overall pick in exchange for pick 29 and their third round pick (91st overall).

Pick 35: Tyrann Mathieu, CB
Pick 59: Marcus Davis, WR

Day 3:

Pick 104: Zaviar Gooden, LB
Pick 226: Levine Toilolo, OT
Pick 235: Brett Maher, K
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really don't like that mock BP

1) I'm a bigger fan of Mathieu than most people, but that's waaaay to early to take a player who is a pure slot corner when we're already paying one 4/16. There are better options there.

2) Marcus Davis and the Pats seems like a marriage destined to be a disaster. Apart from athleticism what does he have going for him?? He needs so much work, especially to contribute in our offense that has proven to require serious diligence to figure out. And we need a player who can contribute soon, not a second contract guy at best. Can't stand the idea.

3) Why do you think Toilolo is an offensive tackle? I'm a bigger fan of his at TE than most - keep him there if you're gonna draft him. No need to turn a good TE prospect into a mediocre left tackle at best. And honestly, if we want to go tackle and have a longer timeframe in mind like it would take to develop him, why not just grab an injured real tackle like Chris Faulk or Brennan Williams?

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
BP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:

1) I'm a bigger fan of Mathieu than most people, but that's waaaay to early to take a player who is a pure slot corner when we're already paying one 4/16. There are better options there.

2) Marcus Davis and the Pats seems like a marriage destined to be a disaster. Apart from athleticism what does he have going for him?? He needs so much work, especially to contribute in our offense that has proven to require serious diligence to figure out. And we need a player who can contribute soon, not a second contract guy at best. Can't stand the idea.

3) Why do you think Toilolo is an offensive tackle? I'm a bigger fan of his at TE than most - keep him there if you're gonna draft him. No need to turn a good TE prospect into a mediocre left tackle at best. And honestly, if we want to go tackle and have a longer timeframe in mind like it would take to develop him, why not just grab an injured real tackle like Chris Faulk or Brennan Williams?
First, I appreciate your feedback. Where we differ and what potentially makes the biggest difference in my mock is the view I hold that Tyrann Mathieu is an all around defensive back. That is, I view Mathieu as an outside corner just as much as I view him as a dominant slot corner. I'm aware Arrington is signed to a pretty hefty contract for what he gives, but there are still so many question marks in the secondary that adding a talent like Tyrann Mathieu makes sense.

Marcus Davis may be viewed by McDaniels as a poor mans Demaryius Thomas and with Brian Daboll back in the fold, I could legitimately understand it if the coaching staff thought they could mold Davis into a very good receiver by year 3.

With Levine Toilolo, I was torn whether ot label him as a project tackle (right or left) or tight end. I could see him being a hybrid of both quite honestly.

What you see is not a flashy haul of players and the results may be reminiscent of the Pats 2007 class in the limited number of picks made.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:

First, I appreciate your feedback. Where we differ and what potentially makes the biggest difference in my mock is the view I hold that Tyrann Mathieu is an all around defensive back. That is, I view Mathieu as an outside corner just as much as I view him as a dominant slot corner. I'm aware Arrington is signed to a pretty hefty contract for what he gives, but there are still so many question marks in the secondary that adding a talent like Tyrann Mathieu makes sense.

Marcus Davis may be viewed by McDaniels as a poor mans Demaryius Thomas and with Brian Daboll back in the fold, I could legitimately understand it if the coaching staff thought they could mold Davis into a very good receiver by year 3.

With Levine Toilolo, I was torn whether ot label him as a project tackle (right or left) or tight end. I could see him being a hybrid of both quite honestly.

What you see is not a flashy haul of players and the results may be reminiscent of the Pats 2007 class in the limited number of picks made.

The Pats made 9 picks in 2007. I think they'd probably like to take 6-7 this year.
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
1. KC - Luke Joekel, OT
2. JAC - Ziggy Ansah, DE
3. OAK - Eric Fisher, OT
11. SD - DJ Fluker, OT
15. NO - Geno Smith, QB
25. MIN - Manti Te'o, LB
32. BAL - Jon Bostic, LB

Patriots Mock:
1st Trade: Cleveland trades down from sixth overall to Atlanta, which is a team seeking a highly sought-after cornerback prospect in this years draft. Wanting to ensure they get EJ Manuel, Cleveland secures a trade with New England long before Philadelphia approaches with interest in the 29th pick.

2nd Trade: Now stationed at the thirtieth overall draft pick formerly held by Atlanta, New England is approached by Philadelphia after missing out on quarterback EJ Manuel to be able to select the next QB on their big board, Matt Barkley of USC. New England makes out like always, with a couple of trade downs and a handful of more value picks.

Day 2:
Second Round: New England acquires Philadelphia's 2014 first round draft pick and their 2013 second rounder (35th overall). In addition, New England acquires defensive tackle Phil Taylor, (former first round pick), from Cleveland along with their fourth round pick (104th overall) and the 30th overall pick in exchange for pick 29 and their third round pick (91st overall).

Day 3:

So we move down from 30 to 35 and get a 2014 1st Rounder?!?

We get a Phil Taylor for moving down 13 spots in the 3rd Round?!?

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
BP wrote:
1. KC - Luke Joekel, OT
2. JAC - Ziggy Ansah, DE
3. OAK - Eric Fisher, OT
11. SD - DJ Fluker, OT
15. NO - Geno Smith, QB
25. MIN - Manti Te'o, LB
32. BAL - Jon Bostic, LB

Patriots Mock:

Day 2:

Day 3:

I think he's suggesting the Pats drop from 29 to 30 and get Taylor, and flip their 3rd for a 4th

Neither trade makes any sense TBH
TomRalph

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
BP wrote:
1. KC - Luke Joekel, OT
2. JAC - Ziggy Ansah, DE
3. OAK - Eric Fisher, OT
11. SD - DJ Fluker, OT
15. NO - Geno Smith, QB
25. MIN - Manti Te'o, LB
32. BAL - Jon Bostic, LB

Patriots Mock:

Day 2:

Day 3:

I think he's suggesting the Pats drop from 29 to 30 and get Taylor, and flip their 3rd for a 4th

Yeah, I know, that drop from our 3rd to their 4th is not even a 'half-round' drop, it could still be considered a 3rd Round pick in essence, that is how insignificant the drop is. And the flip of 29 for 30 is so irrelevant, I didn't even mention it.

Adopt-a-Patriot '14: Danny Amendola Status: Being Severely Underutilised
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomRalph wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
TomRalph wrote:
BP wrote:
1. KC - Luke Joekel, OT
2. JAC - Ziggy Ansah, DE
3. OAK - Eric Fisher, OT
11. SD - DJ Fluker, OT
15. NO - Geno Smith, QB
25. MIN - Manti Te'o, LB
32. BAL - Jon Bostic, LB

Patriots Mock:

Day 2:

Day 3:

Yeah, I know, that drop from our 3rd to their 4th is not even a 'half-round' drop, it could still be considered a 3rd Round pick in essence, that is how insignificant the drop is. And the flip of 29 for 30 is so irrelevant, I didn't even mention it.

Yeah, a drop of 1 pick is usually had for a 5th or lower pick so I'm not sure why the Browns would give up so much. When Cleveland dropped 1 pick in 2006 so the Ravens could take Ngata, they gave up only a 6th.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: