Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The Consolidated Mock Drafts Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: The Consolidated Mock Drafts Thread Reply with quote

This is a thread for mock drafts. You don't have to put them here, but IMO it makes sense. So I will.

Anyway, so here's the rules I followed when I did this last night:
*Trades are allowed, but pick trades must yield equal or worse value according to the draft value chart.
*Players can only be picked at or before their "ranking" on the CBS sports big board.

*Trade Mallett for Pick #68 and #101
*Trade Pick #29 to Steelers for Pick #48 and Pick #79
*Forfeit Pick #91 to Steelers to sign RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders

#48 DT Sylvester Williams
-Williams is a natural 3-technique penetrator, and would both excel in tandem with Wilfork and beef up an interior rush that has been anemic for years.

#59 LB Khaseem Greene
-Athletic, instinctive, and smart, Greene is a former safety who can play going forwards and backwards. With Brandon Spikes in a contract year, he will provide the team with flexibility to move Dont'a Hightower to MLB, as well as a presence on passing downs that can keep up with tight ends. Immediate special teams contributor.

#68 OLB Jamie Collins
-An explosive linebacker who is rough around the edges, Collins is the potential speed rusher to complement Chandler Jones' power. Hopefully he can contribute as a sub rusher as a rookie. A former defensive back, his athleticism means he can get on the field immediately in punt coverage.

#79 WR Chris Harper
-Harper is a big-bodied wide receiver who can beat the press and go up and get the ball. Brings a size presence to complement Amendola's quickness and Sanders' speed. Deceptive downfield ability as well. Chose over Da'Rick Rogers due to the latter's reported mental issues.

#101 FS Tony Jefferson
-Overlooked for some strange reason, Tony Jefferson is a potential NFL playmaker. Instinctive in coverage and all over the field, Jefferson could team up with Devin McCourty to make a formidable "2 FS" backfield. Backup option at safety if McCourty has to play CB during year 1.

#202 CB Kayvon Webster
-Extremely athletic corner who Coach Belichick visited at USF recently. Has the potential to be used in the nickel due to his combination of 4.3 speed and fluid hips, as well as to play on the outside. Needs coaching to play significant NFL snaps. Not a year 1 contributor on defense. Potential gunner with his blazing speed.

#221 LS Carson Tinker
-Consensus #1 long snapper in the class. Blue-chip long snapper. Tremendous upside at the long snapping position. Need I say more?

Priority UDFA DE Earl Okine
-Belichick loves his power left ends. Okine is a huge man with long arms who can set the edge extremely well against the run. Practice squad material.

Priority UDFA OG Manase Foketi
-Scar needs something to work with, and Foketi represents an intriguing future option at right guard if coached up. His combination of size and tackle-like athleticism makes him a great value in FA.

Priority UDFA OG Earl Watford
-Competition for interior line depth. Small mobile player with guard/center versatility and a good anchor in pass protection.

UDFA WR Marlon Brown
-Big target to bring to camp. Potential to work out of the slot or on the outside. Good 'redshirt year' candidate. Potential as a press-breaking possession receiver.

UDFA RB/RS Isi Sofele
-Depth as a return man and competition for the RB spots vacated by Woodhead and soon to be vacated by Jeff Demps.

EDIT: Possible depth chart on offense and defense, going into camp:
QB: Brady-????
RB: Ridley-Vereen-Bolden-Washington-Sofele

Z WR: Amendola-Sanders-Edelman??-Aiken
X WR: Harper-Brown-Jones-Brown
TE1: Gronkowski-Ballard
TE2: Hernandez-Hoomanawanui

LT: Solder-Svitek
LG: Mankins-McDonald-Watford
OC: Wendell-Connolly
RG: Cannon-Richard-Foketi
RT: Vollmer-Zusevics

RDE: Jones-Collins-Vega-Cunningham-Bequette
NT: Wilfork-Love-Deaderick
UT: Williams-Pryor-Forston
LDE: Francis-Armstead-Okine

WLB: Mayo-Greene-Tarpinian
MLB: Spikes-Fletcher
SLB: Hightower-Ninkovich-Koutouvides

LCB: Talib-Arrington-Cole
SS: Wilson-Wilson-Ebner
FS: McCourty-Jefferson-Gregory
RCB: Dennard-Dowling-Webster-Williams

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jamie Collins probably ends up in the first, maybe in the top 20
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
I think Jamie Collins probably ends up in the first, maybe in the top 20

The format of the game (use CBS big board) is a bit of a loophole and that's a good example of why.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't scouted many 3-4 edge rush prospects. What are Collins' traights? How well does he translate to a 4-3 DE?

Love the Williams/Jefferson picks. Jefferson has trouble getting plays from behind and won't chase anyone down, but if the play stays in front of him, he is an enforcer. I can see him playing an 'in-the-box' safety roaming near the LOS to make plays if he comes here. Not too big on the Harper pick.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 LB's seems a bit odd despite the value each guy has at the spot he's selected. Even more so with the current WR problem (even with Sanders).
BP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not feeling the greene hype whatsoever. like picking up marlon brown as an undrafted free agent. Also like the williams and jefferson picks a lot. don't know chris harper, webster, collins, or any one else.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
I haven't scouted many 3-4 edge rush prospects. What are Collins' traights? How well does he translate to a 4-3 DE?

I think I like Collins more as a 4-3 WILL than a DE. He's a little like Shea McClellin insofar as it's tough to figure how he'd fit in a 4-3 in the NFL. Some teams might like him as a WILL and others might like him at RE.

Ultimately, I think a team which has recently converted to a 3-4 will grab him pretty early (the Saints make a lot of sense in the mid 1st).
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BP wrote:
not feeling the greene hype whatsoever. like picking up marlon brown as an undrafted free agent. Also like the williams and jefferson picks a lot. don't know chris harper, webster, collins, or any one else.

Why not? I love the kid. He might be my favorite non-rush LB in the draft. He has great coverage skills from his time at safety and can really take TE's out of the picture without having to devote a DB to them. He isnt a great blitzer, but he has a great burst on an a-gap rush that could be utilized. My favorite part about him his that his tackling technique is superb. He is not flashy at all but does his job well. Humble kid too.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

Why not? I love the kid. He might be my favorite non-rush LB in the draft. He has great coverage skills from his time at safety and can really take TE's out of the picture without having to devote a DB to them. He isnt a great blitzer, but he has a great burst on an a-gap rush that could be utilized. My favorite part about him his that his tackling technique is superb. He is not flashy at all but does his job well. Humble kid too.

I love Greene too. One of the few prospects this year that I really like, though I don't think he has a huge upside (i.e. he'll end up being a solid/steady pro but never a cornerstone of the LB corps). He does a lot of things well and has few glaring weaknessess to his game.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

I love Greene too. One of the few prospects this year that I really like, though I don't think he has a huge upside (i.e. he'll end up being a solid/steady pro but never a cornerstone of the LB corps). He does a lot of things well and has few glaring weaknessess to his game.

Eh, we have enough of those...
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

As much as I love Greene, I don't see the Patriots drafting him. His game is somewhat similar to Hightowers and his pass rush ability is very similar to Spikes. After taking Dont'a in the first round last year, I highly doubt we take another LB before day 3.

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
BP

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taking your trade, interesting game since i respect the CBS website

Quote:
*Trade Mallett for Pick #68 and #101

#29 - Eric Reid, FS, LSU (SEC) - A long-coveted free safety prospect with intimidating abilities athletically and as a leader of the defense. What Belichick prayed to get in Brandon Merriweather out of the '07 draft.
#59 - Tavarres King, WR, Georgia (SEC) - McDaniels influence as the future coaching candidate to the team. gets his demaryius thomas on the Patriots to work with and develop in tandem with receivers guru Brian Daboll. Should be mature enough and fully healed from his ACL injury that the pick is justified. Depth is needed and a dynamic threat is as well.
#68 - John Jenkins, DT, Georgia (SEC) - necessary depth along the defensive line behind wilfork, will eat up blocks and allow the pats to experiment with the 3-4 a little more
#91 - Brian Schwenke, OL, Cal (Pac-12) - versatile along the interior line, potential future starter at center or guard
#101 - Malliciah Goodman, DL, Clemson (ACC) - versatile threat from end and inside, crazy vitals and some athleticism
#202 - Marcus Davis, WR, Virginia Tech (ACC) - Big bodied receiver, can go downfield in a hurry, and win jump balls
#221 - Ryan Griffin, QB, Tulane (West Conference USA) - solid QB prospect, prototypical NFL size for the position, has the tools to succeed

Last edited by BP on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

LB's who excel in coverage? Who?

He might not have a huge ceiling but his strength is where the Pats struggle badly.
patsfan25

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

He might not have a huge ceiling but his strength is where the Pats struggle badly.

LBs, relative to your statement. I haven't scouted LBs in this draft since we don't have a huge need. I'm not sure we need to use an early pick on a nickel LB though.
PDs:
INTs:
Pick 6s:
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patsfan25 wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
BP wrote:

LBs, relative to your statement. I haven't scouted LBs in this draft since we don't have a huge need. I'm not sure we need to use an early pick on a nickel LB though.

With the good possibility that Spikes will not return in 2014, I wouldn't think an early pick at LB is a luxury or a pure "nickel" type guy.

The Pats inability to cover TE's and receivers over the short-middle killed them last year - including in the AFCCG. An upgrade in nickel would be a big boost to the overall performance of the defense IMO.

And no, I don't think Adrian Wilson in a "nickel LB" type role is the solution.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: