Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Kudos to Lombardi/Banner in FA!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Kudos to Lombardi/Banner in FA! Reply with quote

Lombardi has done an excellent job which is a pleasant surprise. Unlike the previous regime, he has done his homework and the Browns have picked up a nice complement of players who have a lot of game left. Even the last two CB's are 3rd picks with talent albeit they are not starters. In all, Browns have picked up 6 players(most are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th rd picks) and filled some needs. Kruger and Bryant are studs. Two TE's are rock solid. What is not to like or better yet there is a lot to like!

In FA, I still think they need a veteran WR like Alexander from SD and possibly a CB or FS. 30 days until the draft where we will see how the new Browns staff fares.

Well done Lombardi! What do you think!
nugpimpen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Kruger signing

Like Bryant

However..

Neither of those tight ends r anywhere near rock solid.

Nor do either of those Cbs fill the hole we have

IDOG_det on the incredible sig!
boblight22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

Like Bryant

However..

The things I like best:

1. We got two SOLID - and likely impact starters in Bryant and Kruger.
2. We added depth at CB in two guys that we are giving an opportunity to prove their merit and sign a long term deals next year
3. We did not overspend by typical market standards for FA.
You can say that Kruger is overpaid at 8 mil per, but we front loaded his deal - and he plays one of the most important positions in the NFL - pass rusher.
4. We did not shoot out load on players like the Dolphins, and will likely be players in free agency next year too.

I cannot believe the Dolphins lost their LT, then payed a big contract out to Ellerbe - a MLB. Then they paid Mike Wallace 13 mil per after resigning Harline to a pretty large deal as well (can't remember the exact figure).
The Browns made some sensible signings and set themselves up.
NewWorldOrder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy that the Browns have been aggressive in free agency. I'm also happy that so far we haven't squandered money foolishly, like the Dolphins($19 million between 2 WRs). We still may yet sign Grimes and/or Butler. However, until the players play, we won't know how well the FO did in FA. It looks good so far, and we haven't mortgaged our future by locking up a lot of money in our free agents long term. I guess I'm happy so far, but time will tell if our FO did a great job.

Every time the Browns start a new QB, a puppy dies!
Adopt-A-Browne: Mike Lombardi
2013 stats...2 head coaches fired, &over 300 cups of coffee served daily to Banner.
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nug, but both CBs are most likely Buster Skrines replacement which I'd much rather have either one of them and pro depth. Not the "sexy" pickup, but good depth. Grimes is still available, and there's a possibility we still pick him up.

The only position I would've liked to have seen come to Cleveland is a Top FA OG. I think Levitre would've helped me sleep a little better at night knowing we would've had a great LG next to JT & Mack, but most of all....a good backup LT. Kinda like Steinbach. Now it's apparent that we will draft an OG early this year. In what RD? 1 or 3. Pinkston still hasn't been cleared to play this season, so there's a possibility he doesn't play. Normally it's a 1+ year situation for a pulmonary embolism. Especially with all flying/travel. He's more susceptible of getting another one.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
bigdogsandiego

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By any standards, Browns have done an excellent job in FA with no bad contracts and 7 solid players. Best in franchise history!

I forgot Groves who will certainly play if not start and former 2nd pick who knows Horton system not to mention good locker room presence.

Kruger, Bryant, and Groves will add a D locker room presence with DQ leading, the likes of which Browns fans have not seen.

Chud knows TE and Turner/he developed Gates into good TE. Turner used 2 TE offense to run the rock when he had Smith, Tomlinson, Turner, etc... If Chud approved Davis and Barnidge, thats OK with me as both can block.

Yes, both CB's add depth with nickel package and Barnes can play/possible start if healthy mentally and physically.

Yes, good point that adding a G would help the run.

There are still a few DE but I think we will draft one within first three picks with FS too.
boblight22

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigdogsandiego wrote:
By any standards, Browns have done an excellent job in FA with no bad contracts and 7 solid players. Best in franchise history!.

Michael, is that you?

Laughing

I am excited about the signings, but am not even close to declare them the best group in franchise history.
Would love it to be the case, but only time will tell.
bosko1616

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love what they did this year. Krugers a stud and I don't even think he's in his prime yet just tapping the surface. Bryant is another stud and our front 7 looks dynamic both in starters and depth especially our dline. The one thing though that would make this a perfect offseason is either adding Grimes or extended Mack,Ward, or Haden. I'd still like a restructure of Gocongs deal but that's just my thinking.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is everyones obssesion with a guard? If we draft a guard in the first or third, I'll be irate.

People over value the guard position big time. We have a stud LT, C, and a very promising RT.
Mastercheddaar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: hmmm Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:

Like Bryant

However..

Addressing in the draft maybe?

That is all

Mastercheddaar
Baseball - Indians/Yankees.
CF - Ohio State and Wake Forest
Women - Brunettes with Blue eyes.
bruceb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
What is everyones obssesion with a guard? If we draft a guard in the first or third, I'll be irate.

People over value the guard position big time. We have a stud LT, C, and a very promising RT.

The last game I can remember us being dominant was when Tucker came back briefly and helped our OL maul the NYG.

There's my sample of one for what dominant guard play can do for you.
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:

Pinkston is an unknown health-wise and neither Greco & Luavo are consistent pass blocking or run blocking. I don't care if 1 of them suck, but with Ponkston unknown, and those 2 starting. I'd rather be prepped for protecting our investments. That's why.

R.I.P. Brother Crakburn - Never Bark in the Dark Brother Crakburn....For all of us Dawgs will be barking to the heavens for you.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawgpound1816 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Pinkston is an unknown health-wise and neither Greco & Luavo are consistent pass blocking or run blocking. I don't care if 1 of them suck, but with Ponkston unknown, and those 2 starting. I'd rather be prepped for protecting our investments. That's why.

Pink isn't an unknown. The clot issue was resolved and he was cleared to start working out on December 5, 2012.

https://twitter.com/JasonPinkstonOL/status/276389514803572736
dawgpound1816

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditchdigger wrote:
dawgpound1816 wrote:
bulldog wrote:

Pink isn't an unknown. The clot issue was resolved and he was cleared to start working out on December 5, 2012.

https://twitter.com/JasonPinkstonOL/status/276389514803572736

Well Thank You Ditch for the knowledge of Pinkston being able to workout. I need to get a twitter acct. but playing isn't my worry as much as travel. When you have had a pulmonary embolism, you are more susceptible to getting another more often than others by.....travel. If they say....he's clear to play and travel with the team. Then I'll believe he's playing this year. Even Mary Kay said in an interview in January that Pinkston will be surprised if he's even able to play half this upcoming season. It takes on average a year before being able to play again. It's not a ligament or tendon. This is his blood were talking about. He's probably been on kumaton (crazy intense blood thinner) for a longtime, and I don't know how long he'll be on that. If he gets hit on the field or something worse, he basically turns into a hemofeeliac. To soon to say. I hope I'm wrong b/c I like Pinkston a lot.

bungleodeon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't have been much better. Anyone who though we needed to find a starter for every hole via FA was going to be disappointed regardless of which team they rooted for. We got 2 starters, found some depth, have some competition, and have some things to address in the draft.

Can't really expect to completely fix a 5-11 teams holes in one offseason, but I like what we have done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: