Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Not enough roster spots

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Not enough roster spots Reply with quote

As of right now we have a roster of 64 players. I see 10 of those guys getting cut (small name guys due to lack of talent ex. Ryan Steed Preston Parker etc.). I think 6 will make the practice squad. That puts the number to 48. Every year we sign several undrafted free agents many of which get cut.
Look at the last few years:
12 Cadet, Harris, Walker, and Nelson
11 Collins, Higgins, Morgan, Quddus, Johnson
10 Ivory, Galette, and Drescher

Harris, Nelson, Higgins, and Morgan were all on the practice squad first. This is where the 2 other practice squad players come into play. I see two rookies making it.

However, every year a couple make the active roster from day one. I don't see it being any different this year. That bring the roster spots to about 50. Notice the problem yet . . .
We have 5 draft picks that's 55 spots on a 53 man roster assuming we sign no more free agents, which will make it even worse.

I'm not saying we have to get ride of draft picks, but trading up should be heavily considered. I think we have plenty of depth. What we need are play makers. We need talent guys to start, not guys to back up our so-so players.

The last thing I would do here is trade down. Maybe we stay put at 15 and some players that I think are talented enough to make the roster get cut. Maybe Mickey makes some salary cap casualties (Strief, Thomas, Greer), because I personally don't think we have enough money to even draft. So yeah it could work if we stay put, but trading back and getting another 2 picks is just crazy I personally would like to see us trade up.

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could see moving up into the 2nd round and using a few picks to do so, but I don't see a trade up in the 1st.

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
I could see moving up into the 2nd round and using a few picks to do so, but I don't see a trade up in the 1st.

This.

EDIT: Actually I was thinking about this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints find a trade partner or two and come up with two first rounders, a second, and a third/fourth. Or one first (mid-late 20's), two 2nd rounders and a third.

^NS922 on the sig^
Raves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
Raves wrote:

This.

EDIT: Actually I was thinking about this situation. I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints find a trade partner or two and come up with two first rounders, a second, and a third/fourth. Or one first (mid-late 20's), two 2nd rounders and a third.

Well we could possibly use Ivory, our 3rd, and our 4th to move up into the early 2nd/late 1st...

2013 Adopt-A-Saint
TE Jimmy Graham-86 rec, 1215 yds, 16 TDs
WR Kenny Still-34 rec, 641 yds, 5 TDs
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
Raves wrote:

This.

Well we could possibly use Ivory, our 3rd, and our 4th to move up into the early 2nd/late 1st...

I've given a lot of thought to trading our 3rd up. One of my favorite prospects int this draft is Matt Elam. It is a huge stretch if we take him 15 overall, but he won't fall to the middle of the 3rd round. The question how far do we want to move up.

Giving up Ivory (2nd round tender, our 3rd and 4th) could potentially put us back into the 1st but I really don't want to give up Ivory. I would fell a lot more comfortable giving up Thomas. I don't think we would get as high of a pick though.

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
Raves wrote:

This.

I've given a lot of thought to trading our 3rd up. One of my favorite prospects int this draft is Matt Elam. It is a huge stretch if we take him 15 overall, but he won't fall to the middle of the 3rd round. The question how far do we want to move up.

Giving up Ivory (2nd round tender, our 3rd and 4th) could potentially put us back into the 1st but I really don't want to give up Ivory. I would fell a lot more comfortable giving up Thomas. I don't think we would get as high of a pick though.

PT, 3rd, 4th, and 6th for a late 20's?? Could work.

^NS922 on the sig^
krewebrees

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcvoodoo wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
Raves wrote:

This.

I don't think that trade would get us that high. Somewhere in the 40s probably, but that would likely be high enough to get Elam.

What about mixing the two, trading back in round one a few spots and up round three and four, maybe work Thomas in som how.

Adopt a Saint 2014
Jimmy Graham:
Glenn Foster:
jcvoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krewebrees wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
krewebrees wrote:
Raves wrote:
jcvoodoo wrote:
Raves wrote:

This.

I don't think that trade would get us that high. Somewhere in the 40s probably, but that would likely be high enough to get Elam.

What about mixing the two, trading back in round one a few spots and up round three and four, maybe work Thomas in som how.

Probably would work better than my scenario Laughing

^NS922 on the sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New Orleans Saints All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: