Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Trivium Mock #2 (Pre Vollmer Deal)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trivium2009

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Trivium Mock #2 (Pre Vollmer Deal) Reply with quote

With Vollmer now locked up we still have some needs to look to. Here is a mock to help our team for now and the future.

Free Agents
Julian Edilman WR/ 1yr deal- We signed Amendola to replace Welker which I thought was a great deal, but we also need some insurance behind him. Edilman is injury prone as much as Amendola but knows the system and could be a reliable back up.

John Abraham DE/ 1yr deal- Abraham showed last year that he can still get to the QB but he also proved that he is no longer an every down player, but with our defense and the way we cycle players in and out he wouldn't have to be. Abraham will bring two things to this team. One a mentor for Jones and two a nice option to help our pass rush.

Richard Seymour DT/ 1yr deal- Seymour is no longer the player he was when he was traded to the Raiders which is why he will not be an expensive signing. He could come in on a vet min type deal an could maybe help out interior pass rush. If anything I would like BB to at least bring him in for a workout.

Draft
Trade Ryan Mallett to Cleveland for their 3rd round pick and 2014 3rd round pick

Round 1 #29
Justin Hunter WR Tennessee, 6'4'' 200lbs- Justin Hunter should have been the first WR taken this year but because an ACL injury and a loss of production he has dropped to the later 1st early second pick area. This benefits the Patriots greatly because they lack a great deep threat player like Hunter. Hunter proved not only at the combine but at his pro day that he still has his speed. He could and will give us a great WR option for the future and another redzone target other than Gronk.

Round 2 #59
Tyler Bray QB Tennessee, 6'6'' 232lbs- We traded Mallett away because with Brady's new deal taking him to 40 Mallett would be going into his late 20s which isn't a great time to try and have him as a starter in our system. We need a fresh and younger face. Bray has a cannon arm just like Mallett but is not only younger but also a lot more accurate than Mallett as well. Giving Bray three years to learn under the games best QB should help Bray become Brady's successor. This isn't really a need pick but more of a greed pick. Bray could go to a different team and succeed or fail with a different team because they push him too start right away which could ruin a young talent much like a lot of teams in need of a QB normally do our he could learn for three years and shape his play after arguably the best QB to ever play the game.

Round 3 #68 Via Cleveland
Logan Ryan CB Rutgers, 6'0'' 191lbs- Well well well another Rutgers Corner where have I seen this before? Oh ya McCourty lol. All kidding aside, Ryan could be a very nice surprise if handled right. Ryan has good play making skills along with the strength to play man to man. He reminds me of a young Aqib Talib coming out of collage but without the stats Talib had. With Talib only signed for one year and no guarantee that he will resign with the Pats after this season plus the uncertainty of Dennard it should be in our interest to find us another option in our young secondary. If all things work out with Dennard then having Ryan take a year to learn from Talib could benefit him in becoming our starting corner if Talib signs else where.

Round 3 #91
Aaron Dobson WR Marshall, 6'3" 210lbs- This pick is a bit of a need pick as it helps toward revamping our WRs depth and will give us a great young WR core for the future. Dobson like Hunter will give us a good down field receiver but may need time to learn. nice back up option if the signing of Donald Jones doesn't work out.

Round 5
Johnathan Stewart LB Texas A&M, 6'4" 242lbs- We really use a good coverage linebacker and Stewart could be that LB he has great size and has good speed to match a lot of TEs. If anything provides better depth than what we have right now.

Round 7 Pick 1
Conner Vernon WR Duke, 6'0'' 196lbs- Vernon is basically a Welker clone with his great route running. He also doesn't have elite speed to separate but uses his close burst to get the job done. Nice reliable hands. Practice squad material. Could go in the fifth round but I believe he drops because of the school he went too.

Pick 2
Nick Williams DT Samford, 6'4'' 309lbs- This could end up being our Deaderick pick this year but as a pass rusher in the DT spot. Williams is a project and may need a couple years to see a lot of playing time but with the signing of Seymour and Armstead we really don't need him to be rushed up. Once again maybe practice squad material.

Well there you have it my shot at helping the team not just for this year but for the future as well. I know a lot of the picks mainly the three WR picks aren't going to appease most people but with the depth of the prospects this draft has to offer and the lack of depth The Patriots have this could be the year we double up on WR prospects. Please tell me your thoughts. I'm trying to work off the advise of people on here.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seymour isn't coming back

And trade Mallett to take Bray with a higher pick? Makes no sense.
cochise

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
Seymour isn't coming back

And trade Mallett to take Bray with a higher pick? Makes no sense.

I agree. And certainly not for the vet minimum. I like some of your picks but using a 2nd rounder on a QB makes no sense to me. I dont think the Pats are trading Mallett. Cassel is off the market and I dont think there are any other backups out there that the Pats would be comfortable with. Imlike the Logan Ryan pick but we wouldnt have the high 3rd without a Mallett trade.
PatriotsWin!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't even realize Seymour was a free agent. It'd be cool to bring him in... is there bad blood b/w the Pats and him?

Mack on the sig
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatriotsWin! wrote:
Didn't even realize Seymour was a free agent. It'd be cool to bring him in... is there bad blood b/w the Pats and him?

I think he'd rather retire than play for Belichick again.
BP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no on Aaron Dobson. NO. Don't understand the lateral move of Mallett to Bray, but I do like Bray's ceiling better. Logan Ryan strikes me as a #3 or 4 corner, a step above Arrington. I think there's better value at the corner position in this draft to sit and wait for a #3 or 4 guy on day three. I would like this draft if only for the "names" and Justin Hunter in particular at the end of the first.
Deadpulse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bray is my favorite QB in this draft. He isn't a guy that can come in and be a starter, but I do believe he is a guy that needs to sit and learn and develop, so being behind Tom Brady would be best case for his outlook. However, I wouldn't take him in round 2. There is a chance he could be there much later and I wouldn't take him unless that was the case.

As much as Justin Hunter is an excellent player, does Belichick role the dice on another WR coming off an ACL? I say no, especially with all the other viable and talented WR's in this draft that will be there at the same pick.

Im not big on Ryan or Dobson. There are other guys at those positions that will be there.

As for Richard, even if he does want to come back (unlikely), and we do bring him in it does not mean we should wait till round 7 for an interior rusher in the draft. Seymour may not even make it through camp, especially with the deal he deserves (no guaranteed money, not much more than vet min).

Sigs-Taking Requests

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: