Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Former Viking CB Antoine Winfield to visit Redskins Park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeanTayorsaPIMP

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject: Former Viking CB Antoine Winfield to visit Redskins Park Reply with quote

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/25/redskins-to-host-antoine-winfield/

Would love to sign him as a stop gap. This would also let the Redskins focus mainly on both safety positions in the draft where there is a deep talent pool. Winfield only has a couple more seasons left in him but he would bring immediate physicality and leadership to our secondary and should come fairly cheap. Let's make this happen Bruce.

mike23md on the sig!
Jeezy Fanatic

Location: The DMV; Proud Alumnus of the University of Miami, Class of 2011
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like it on a one year deal. Decent stop gap option until we get our cap space back and can really address the position.

Where you go we'll follow! Let's go USMNT!!!!
daboyle250

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I hope we have him as a stop gap deal. He's a good CB on the older side.

DCRED wrote:
MKnight82 wrote:
turtle28 wrote:
I'm still cleaning up the stains in my pants! Laughing
Ewwww.
worse thing is they've been there since Shanahan was fired
mike23md

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will certainly help in the secondary, but we still could use a 3rd round pick on a guy to develop and play a lot of slot corner as well.

Still can address both S spots with the 2nd and 4th round picks. The talent pool is very deep, but we have to watch for the run on the S's. If we skip S in the 2nd and there is a run in the 3rd, we are might miss on them and have to settle.

2015 NFL MOCK DRAFT
Cash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope we can work something out. I think he'd be the perfect stop gap as Biggers develops and potentially Crawford/Chase/Rookie. Still need two safeties though and don't like the idea of starting two rookies back there.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike23md wrote:
This will certainly help in the secondary, but we still could use a 3rd round pick on a guy to develop and play a lot of slot corner as well.

Still can address both S spots with the 2nd and 4th round picks. The talent pool is very deep, but we have to watch for the run on the S's. If we skip S in the 2nd and there is a run in the 3rd, we are might miss on them and have to settle.

My dream draft is to get FS Eric Reid in round 2, best available OT in round 3, SS Shamarko Thomas in round 4, TE Jordan Reed in round 5, CB Terry Hawthorne in round 5, WR Kenny Stills or Cobi Hamilton in round 6, and maybe P Brad Wing in the 7th but we just resigned Rocca to a multi-year so it would kinda be pointless. Give me RB Montel Harris.

mike23md on the sig!
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they can come to terms. He's a big time upgrade over Hall
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Redskins were interested in him from the start. When Minnesota cut cornerback Antoine Winfield, the Redskins were one of the first teams to contact his agent.

Now they’ve taken the next step: Winfield will visit the Redskins on Wednesday, a league source confirmed Monday afternoon. Winfield did not have any other visits scheduled as of Monday afternoon, but there were other teams interested, including his former one. The Redskins would have to free up cash to sign Winfield, whether by more pay cuts, a release or a restructuring. The Redskins are reluctant to do the latter because money gets pushed into the future, sometimes for players no longer on the roster. If there’s a player they know will be around a few years, then it makes sense.

As for Winfield, he researched everything from the scheme to the coaching staff and the talent already on th[b]e roster before deciding to visit, according to one source close to him. Winfield played with linebacker London Fletcher in Buffalo. [/b]Another factor that could help the Redskins: Winfield’s grandparents live in Northeast Ohio and don’t fly. If the Redskins can free up money and sign him, it would enable them to drive six hours to each home game. They’ve become known for driving to his games.

I think he'll come here. We fit his scheme and are contenders in the playoffs and also would start him vs Vikings who wanna bench him.

Welcome to D.C winfield Smile /
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeanTayorsaPIMP wrote:
mike23md wrote:

My dream draft is to get FS Eric Reid in round 2, best available OT in round 3 (Brendan Williams)SS Shamarko Thomas in round 4, TE Jordan Reed in round 5, CB Terry Hawthorne in round 5, WR Kenny Stills or Cobi Hamilton in round 6, and maybe P Brad Wing in the 7th but we just resigned Rocca to a multi-year so it would kinda be pointless. Give me RB Montel Harris.
done and done! Cool Applause although, I could see us passing on Shamarko Thomas because we have 4 SS's under contract and only one FS in Jordan Pugh.

If you draft Shamarko Thomas, who do you cut?

Brandon Meriweather
Reed Doughty
DeJon Gomes
Jordan Bernstine?

I guess Bernstine is a strong candidate for Practice squad or IR, if he can even play again.

You'd have to cut Meriweather, Doughty or Gomes to make room for Thomas and given we could use a better prospect at cb, TE, Rb or other positions I don't see the need to load up with a team full of strong safeties.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dashing wrote:
Quote:
The Redskins were interested in him from the start. When Minnesota cut cornerback Antoine Winfield, the Redskins were one of the first teams to contact his agent.

Now they’ve taken the next step: Winfield will visit the Redskins on Wednesday, a league source confirmed Monday afternoon. Winfield did not have any other visits scheduled as of Monday afternoon, but there were other teams interested, including his former one. The Redskins would have to free up cash to sign Winfield, whether by more pay cuts, a release or a restructuring. The Redskins are reluctant to do the latter because money gets pushed into the future, sometimes for players no longer on the roster. If there’s a player they know will be around a few years, then it makes sense.

As for Winfield, he researched everything from the scheme to the coaching staff and the talent already on th[b]e roster before deciding to visit, according to one source close to him. Winfield played with linebacker London Fletcher in Buffalo. [/b]Another factor that could help the Redskins: Winfield’s grandparents live in Northeast Ohio and don’t fly. If the Redskins can free up money and sign him, it would enable them to drive six hours to each home game. They’ve become known for driving to his games.

I think he'll come here. We fit his scheme and are contenders in the playoffs and also would start him vs Vikings who wanna bench him.

Welcome to D.C winfield Smile /
where are you quoting from? You must provide a source buddy Wink

http://wordpress.washingtonexaminer.com/redskins/?utm_source=Washington%20Examiner:%20Redskins%20Newsletter%20-%2003/22/2013&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Washington%20Examiner:%20Reskins%20Newsletter

Here is John Keim's take on Antoine Winfield vs Hall and on the signing of Ej Biggers:

Quote:
1. Even though the Redskins signed E.J. Biggers, they need another cornerback of starting quality. It’s great that the Redskins are optimistic about what he can do because of his speed and length. But realistically he’s a No. 3 corner, which means they still need to sign a starter. My preference: Antoine Winfield. DeAngelo Hall is another option and the Redskins could do worse. If the Redskins returned Hall, they’d essentially have a similar rotation as last year, inserting Biggers for Cedric Griffin.

3. Here’s what one former coach of Winfield had to say about him: “I love him, especially if you’re counting on him to be the No. 1 guy. If you’re counting on him to add a solid presence and you’re trying to establish an identity, he can come in and establish that. He’s not a disruptive presence. He’s not selfish. He’ll be a team-first guy and he can play nickel and establish a level of toughness that they probably didn’t have before.”

4. I do remember that the Redskins tried to sign Winfield when Joe Gibbs returned in 2004. But they were unable to lure him to D.C. and opted for another ex-Ohio State corner in Shawn Springs. “I’d rather have him than Hall,” Winfield’s ex-coach said. “Hall is a good player but he’s not versatile enough and he doesn’t work the way Antoine works. Antoine will look at you, smile and laugh, but he’ll tear your head off. He’s a total, complete professional.”
He also said he likes the Biggers’ signing because it adds speed and youth. He said we still Crawford to develop and Minifield to return healthy, but the Biggers signing is a good one. He says Crawford is an impressive young man, smart and could be a future coach, but talent wise, he's not sure if he can ever be more than a fourth or fifth corner. If Minifield can get and stay healthy, he could be more.

A couple of great things Keim said was:

1. There is still a lot of confidence in Niles Paul as a TE for us, eventhough he struggled to adjust in his first year playing the position.

2. Pashos is a very passionate man and if he’s healthy, the Redskins might like what they have with him, which explains why Forester and Shanahan wanted to sign him in 2010 before we traded for Brown. Pashos said in 2011 he played through a ruptured tendon in left foot, he could barely walk on it. Pashos said he is faster than he was before his injury because he worked so hard in his rehab. So, if Pashos can get healthy, he may shock us.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope they come to terms.
Dashing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="S. Taylor"]I hope they come to terms.[/quoteRG III retweeted this:

Dear @AntoineWinfield:

Please join the #Redskins and win a Super Bowl with @RGIII. We will make you immortal.

Thanks,
Washington

wow.
S. Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Dashing"]
S. Taylor wrote:
I hope they come to terms.[/quoteRG III retweeted this:

Dear @AntoineWinfield:

Please join the #Redskins and win a Super Bowl with @RGIII. We will make you immortal.

Thanks,
Washington

wow.

LOL.
The funniest part about that is that Winfield hasn't tweeted since Dec. 2012.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: