Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Potential 2nd Round Surprises
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LionsChamps201?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

1 - Jarvis Jones/Demontre Moore - Two players who were thought to be potential options for Detroit with the 1st pick, one of these players have the potential to slide all the way to the Lions 2nd pick. Jones could drop because of his medical issues, Moore because of his terrible combine. Players like Alex Okafor (Texas) and Trevador Williams (Conneticut) I think one will be picked in the late 1st round, but a 2nd could fall to Detroit.

2 - Chance Warmack - Again, another player that has been mocked for Detroit in the 1st round, Warmack could end up falling to the 2nd. There are two factors playing against Warmack, 1 the emergence of Jonathan Cooper will make Warmack the #2 best guard on some teams boards. And 2, guard traditionally drop on draft day (ala Decastro). There is also possibilities of Larry Warford (Kentucky) or Justin Pugh (Cuse) overtaking Warmack depending on the blocking scheme of the team.

3 - Tyler Eifert - Some people may not consider Eifert at 37 a slide, but IMO hes the best TE prospect to come out in a while. Eifert has two things working against him though....1, Notre Dame never had a QB that was worth anything to make him look good and 2, this is a weak QB class. That may seem irrelevant but teams who draft QB tend to want to draft a TE to go with him (Luck and Fleener, Staffford and Pettigrew). So in other drafts Eifert would most likely not pass pick 33.

4 - Manti Te'o - I know people seem to be down on this guy but it seems like yesterday half of Detroit were calling for this guy to be our 1st round pick. After the gf controversy, a bad national championship game, and a bad combine Te'o in the 2nd seems likely. IMO, he's still a great player who deserves to be selected in the 1st round, but Im concerned about his ability to handle pressure. Also, ILB always drop so maybe we could even see Olgetree fall to us.

Feel free to add your own![/b]
stylish313

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:
2 - Chance Warmack - Again, another player that has been mocked for Detroit in the 1st round, Warmack could end up falling to the 2nd. There are two factors playing against Warmack, 1 the emergence of Jonathan Cooper will make Warmack the #2 best guard on some teams boards. And 2, guard traditionally drop on draft day (ala Decastro). There is also possibilities of Larry Warford (Kentucky) or Justin Pugh (Cuse) overtaking Warmack depending on the blocking scheme of the team.
Yeah, you've lost your friggin mind.
LionsChamps201?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsChamps201? wrote:

Tone down the insults pal

And theres nothing certain on draft day, players who we thought were locks top 10 fall to the 2nd (Da'Quan Bowers). Who predicted Decastro and Rieff were going to be available with the 23rd pick last year?
EhJae

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsChamps201? wrote:

And theres nothing certain on draft day, players who we thought were locks top 10 fall to the 2nd (Da'Quan Bowers). Who predicted Decastro and Reiff were going to be available with the 23rd pick last year?

<------ This guy Smile
#71 Riley Reiff
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres no way Warmack falls to the 2nd, let alone past the rams at #16 or #22
1King

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
LionsChamps201? wrote:

And theres nothing certain on draft day, players who we thought were locks top 10 fall to the 2nd (Da'Quan Bowers). Who predicted Decastro and Rieff were going to be available with the 23rd pick last year?

Bowers fell to the 2nd round because he had major medical red flags. Warmack does not. Decastro and Rieff were still both 1st rounders and Warmack is at least as good as them if not better.

El ramster wrote:
1king showing why he's one the best posters in this site.

candyman93 wrote:
1king is showing why he's awesome

TEAM STYLISH
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Elam could have a free fall on draft day
nagahide13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think werner could fall to our second. I don't think there's even a slight chance warmack does, and manti is just more of a second round guy off the bat. I have serious doubts about hiw coverage abilities in the nfl, and I dont think he'd make a good transition outside.
Karnage_84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:
1 - Jarvis Jones/Demontre Moore - Two players who were thought to be potential options for Detroit with the 1st pick, one of these players have the potential to slide all the way to the Lions 2nd pick. Jones could drop because of his medical issues, Moore because of his terrible combine. Players like Alex Okafor (Texas) and Trevador Williams (Conneticut) I think one will be picked in the late 1st round, but a 2nd could fall to Detroit.

3 - Tyler Eifert - Some people may not consider Eifert at 37 a slide, but IMO hes the best TE prospect to come out in a while. Eifert has two things working against him though....1, Notre Dame never had a QB that was worth anything to make him look good and 2, this is a weak QB class. That may seem irrelevant but teams who draft QB tend to want to draft a TE to go with him (Luck and Fleener, Staffford and Pettigrew). So in other drafts Eifert would most likely not pass pick 33.

4 - Manti Te'o - I know people seem to be down on this guy but it seems like yesterday half of Detroit were calling for this guy to be our 1st round pick. After the gf controversy, a bad national championship game, and a bad combine Te'o in the 2nd seems likely. IMO, he's still a great player who deserves to be selected in the 1st round, but Im concerned about his ability to handle pressure. Also, ILB always drop so maybe we could even see Olgetree fall to us.

1) Jarvis Jones/Moore - A combination of poor combines/pro days and in JJ's case, medical questions. I can see this happening like Bowers. Had JJ had a killer pro day this wouldn't be an option. His pro day was certainly underwhelming. These guys could definitely slide

2)Warmack - I think that's well-wishing. If he was to slide down, some team would absolutely trade up for him. Heck.. maybe even us. No way he makes it out of the 1st.

3) Eifert - I can see this happening but not because of the QB connection. There just may be value at the TE position with a couple guys there and it drives down the need to take a TE high

4) T'eo - He's either going to be taken in the last 5 picks of the 1st or slide to mid-2nd. I loved him as a player in college and he could prove to be a productive guy but I just have trouble seeing him being taken ahead of a number of other guys.

I can also see Johnathan Banks, CB, Miss. State dropping to the 2nd.
duanegarrison09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Potential 2nd Round Surprises Reply with quote

LionsChamps201? wrote:

I could see DeMontre Moore fall to the second Idea

Just select Chance Warmack at 5 and then Moore.

Shocked
RyanFuller003

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Jones and Moore are two guys who might slip on some boards due to poor workout numbers, but if I'm being honest, I think there are some teams picking around the middle of the first round that are going to disregard that and pick one of them based on what they've put on film, not what their measurables look like on paper. I'd be more than happy to get either one of them in the 2nd round, although I have questions about how well Jones would fit our scheme (or how they could adapt it for him).

Warmack is going to get picked high. No doubt about it in my mind, even if he is being a little overhyped, he's a top 15 pick. Cooper should be gone shortly thereafter. If they're picking an interior lineman, it's probably Barrett Jones or Larry Warford.

I almost expect Eifert to be available at 36. I'm not sure I want him, though. Notre Dame's tight ends haven't fared very well in the NFL over the last several years even though they seem to produce a high draft pick every so often (Anthony Fasano 2006, John Carlson 2007, Kyle Rudolph 2011). Not that I guess that should necessarily mean the same thing will happen to Eifert, but there might be something there. I think we definitely have a need for a TE since we only have two under contract right now and both are headed for free agency next offseason (to say nothing about their own shortcomings), so I do expect we will draft one. I think I prefer Zach Ertz, though. He's more of an athlete, which I think would help our receiving game out a lot. Gavin Escobar in the 3rd round would be pretty interesting, too.

As for Te'o, I guess I can't really say much. At one point I felt like it'd be awesome for him to fall to 36 and to draft him, but his athleticism and size are both very questionable. He reminds me too much of Jordon Dizon, who was super productive in school but couldn't translate his skills to the NFL because everyone was bigger and better than him. Not to mention we have Tulloch at MLB for the next 4 years, and Te'o isn't exactly a prototypical OLB. Tulloch could play there, but I don't think they'll depose him in favor of Te'o.

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for four years running!)
diehardlionfan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see any possible way Warmack falls to the second round. He's simply to talented. The only reason he isn't in discussions for the first overall pick is positional importance.

Now, that could change if there is some revelation of an unknown flaw such as substance abuse or he robs a 7-11 but he certainly won't fall to the second round otherwise.

Sig by El Ramster

Team Stylish
LionsChamps201?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, let me unofficially change it to Warmack/Cooper. I think 1 has a chance of slidding. Its just so rare to see 2 guards drafted in the 1st
Sllim Pickens

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both Warmack and Cooper are gone by 20. It's rare that two go first round but it's also rare that two OGs are top 10 players in a draft class.

I think Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes falls close to or to our second.

I also think Teo would be a bigger deal if he fell to our 3rd. I don't think he fits what we need and will be best as an ILB in a 3-4.

Adopt-A-Lion - Riley Reiff, OT/TE/FB
X_Factor_40

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sllim Pickens wrote:
I think both Warmack and Cooper are gone by 20. It's rare that two go first round but it's also rare that two OGs are top 10 players in a draft class.

I think Desmond Trufant or Xavier Rhodes falls close to or to our second.

I also think Teo would be a bigger deal if he fell to our 3rd. I don't think he fits what we need and will be best as an ILB in a 3-4.

A lot of people were really high on Dan Connor a few years ago and he fell to the 3rd round (Pick 74). SI had him ranked #23 on their top 25 2008 draft prospects.

Connor tested out better than Teo.

Connor's pro day: 4.67 (4.58 low) 40, 35" vertical, 21 reps. #1 ranked ILB by NFL draft scout. 22/2504. Projected round: 1 - Drafted with the 11th pick of the 3rd round by the Carolina Panthers.

Manti Te'o combine: 4.82 40, 33" vertical, didn't bench. Ranked 2 out of 141 ILB prospects by NFL draft scout. 39/2713.

They just kind of remind me of each other. It'll be interesting to see where Te'o lands.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: