Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Gambino62 Mock Draft
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Gambino62 Mock Draft Reply with quote

I've seen so many mock drafts come up that I felt like I needed to get involved as well, especially after our successful FFMD where I think we got the Rams some awesome pieces of talent for offense and defense. I don't think we'll sign too many more FAs before the draft. So, here's my FFMD inspired mock.

1a. Tavon Austin - WR, West Virginia Mountaineers

Explanation: He's the sexy pick right now. Whether it's Ram fans, the media or other FF posters, Tavon Austin seems to be the most logical pick for a team that is in need of some added explosion. Tavon is a matchup nightmare and has the speed to make even the most elite NFL defenders eat his dust. He can lineup pretty much anywhere and is capable of going yard at any point. Considering Snead suggested we need guys who can score touchdowns, Tavon seems to be the most likely of suspects.

1b. Trade - Buffalo sends 2nd, 3rd and 7th for #22 and selects QB, Matt Barkley

Explanation: The way the board falls, as it did in FFMD, is not conduscive to the Rams needs and wants. Reaching for a player here would not satisfy Snead/Fisher and a QB needy Buffalo trades up to ensure they get their franchise guy in Barkley who is the 2nd QB off the board and gets paired up with WR, Cordarelle Patterson for a new look Buffalo offense.

2a. Jonathan Cyprien - S, Florida International Panthers

Explanation: Someone we considered at pick 22 happens to fall early into the second only because of the run on linemen and QBs towards the end of the first round and coming from a smaller school. Cyprien hits like a linebacker, covers like a corner and runs like a receiver. He is the type of player Fisher would absolutely love patrolling the backfield. He steps in immediately and fills the void at FS while Darian Stewart locks up SS. This is someone who could easily go late first, but like I mentioned, I feel there is going to be a significant run on QBs, DTs and OTs that will push Cyprien back into the 2nd and fall right to us.

2b. Khaseem Greene - LB, Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Explanation: Greene is a former Safety who made the successful transition to linebacker and we will benefit greatly from his skills in line and in coverage. He is capable of making the splash plays and is a very consistent tackler. His 6 sacks, 2 interceptions and 12 tackles for loss will fit in nicely with the playmaking ability of Laurinaitis and Dunbar. I think Dunbar will slide into the SLB role and Greene will come in and play WLB. The reason he falls to us here is his injury history and slight frame, but I think he has what it takes to be Keith Bullock in our system.

3a. LeVeon Bell - RB, Michigan State Spartans

Explanation: Jeff Fisher loves to take running backs. I went through the draft history and I came up with a lot of high picks on runningbacks; Javon Ringer, Chris Johnson, Chris Henry, LenDale White and Chris Brown would be the most recent. We don't have a glaring need at running back but LeVeon fits the mold of a Jeff Fisher runningback. He can run between the tackles, off tackle, catch the ball and is getting more adept as pass protection. He, Pead and Richardson will form a very deadly trio of backs with Bell and Richardson being the 1-2 punch and Pead being a third down speed option. I love Bell and I could essentially see him going a tad higher than this.

3b. Chris Harper - WR, Kansas State Wildcats

Explanation: We have a legit outside the numbers speed threat in Givens, a slot/chess piece in Tavon, a possession/red zone slot in Pettis and a raw with potential outside/red zone weapon in Quick. The only thing missing is the physical possession receiver capable of bulldozing corners in the run game and ensuring the first down in the pass game. Harper is a guy who jrry32 showed me and we got in FFMD and I absolutely agree with the selection. He is a monster and reminds me a lot of Anquan Boldin. He'll be a nice match up for the bigger, physical corners in our division and get them moving backwards in the run game.

4. Brennan Williams - OT, North Carolina Tar Heels

Explanation: The only reason Williams doesn't go higher is simply because of an injury that robbed him of the final four games of his senior season due to a torn labrum. Williams is an amazing prospect with the bloodlines Fisher will love. Williams is quite raw so I don't expect him to start this season as Rodger Saffold will more than likely be the opening day RT, but when his contract is up, a Boudreau coached up Brennan Williams will come in and give us a fantastic pair of bookend tackles with Jake Long.

5. Brian Winters - OG, Kent State Golden Flash

Explanation: Yet another talented offensive linemen who falls due to injury. He was benching at the combine and I believe strained a pectoral muscle. However, we are not in dire need of having him start right away. My personal perspective on Winters is that he will eventually be the successor to Harvey Dahl if Rok/Shelley succeed at LG and if not, he steps into LG and we keep Harvey or draft his successor next year. I also love having Winters as depth because he has the ability to play Center as well and with Wells being on the older side and having some history of injury, Winters provides insurance. Now, if Winters benches before the combine and shows his injury is healed properly, he will more than likely be off the board before this pick comes up and potentially could go before our 4th RD pick as well. In that scenario, Hugh Thornton from Illinois would be my next ranked OG and could be the selection as well.

6. Sanders Commings - CB/S, Georgia Bulldogs

Explanation: Commings is someone who the Rams brass has met with several times and I do believe is someone they will end up selecting if he is available this late, if not earlier in the draft. Commings is a big and physical corner which is becoming the norm in the NFL. However, because of his lack of hip fluidity and inability to effectively use trail technique on speedy outside receivers, I wouldn't be surprised if he moved to safety. I could see him becoming part of a big nickel package as he can line up at safety or drop down and cover in the slot. He needs to work on his field awareness but I believe he would be a welcome addition to the team provided he can get past his assault and anger issues. I do believe he has ideal ST value as well.

7a. Lonnie Pryor - FB, Florida State Seminoles

Explanation: We need a FB. Pryor is capable of being a true NFL FB in every sense of the word. He can run it, he can catch it and he can block for it. Brit Miller didn't add enough to the Rams running game and was waived, Pryor has the ability to last and become a versatile weapon in both the run game and pass game. He could stand to bulk up a bit if he can keep his quickness, A developmental player like Kenny Tate or DeVonte Holloman might be the other option if Fisher feels Pryor and Ganaway are too similar.

7b. Omar Hunter - DT, Florida Gators

Explanation: Rotational DT depth, will challenge Cudjo and Conrath for the 3rd/4th DT spot. Might end up on the Practice Squad but has a lot of potential and with the right coaching could end up being a nice addition to the DL as a way to keep Brockers and Langford rested without losing too much in the way of production.

Boom, there we have it. It doesn't address every need we have but it brings us a little bit closer to complete and fills some very significant issues. I think adding Austin, Harper and Bell to our offensive weapon group would be very beneficial. Slotting Greene, Cyprien and Commings onto the defense can make a great unit better and we have some developmental talent in Winters, Williams and Hunter who could produce down the line.

Thoughts and criticisms welcome.

Kempes on the sig, El ramster on the avy.
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not on the Cyprien train like most people id rather have Elam, Rambo, Swearinger, Commings or Jefferson.

We have Saffold at RT, so the Brennen Williams doesn't make sense.

Fisher said he wants a Older Back so i dont think we draft a RB.

Like the Tavon and Greene picks though
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:

It makes perfect sense, especially if you read his explanation...

IDOG_det on the sig...
RIP "El Fenomeno" - Oscar Taveras
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgarrett12486 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

how do we know Saffold will leave?
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not crazy about Greene or Bell, but i like the rest.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

We don't. Just like we don't know he will stay. But either way, his contract will be up following next season and do we pay him LT money to play RT where he could be outmatched? Slot him at Guard and hope he plays well? A LT needy team will over pay him and he'll leave is the scenario I envision. I'd like a contigency plan in place should it happen. If it doesn't, Brennan is our swing Tackle and is perfect depth for 2 OTs with injury issues.

Last edited by Gambino62 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:

I know a lot of people aren't high on Bell like I am, but may I ask why you're not a fan of Greene? Just curious.

ramsfan12345

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love everything but I'm not sure about Harper that early
Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambino62 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

We don't. Just like we don't know he will stay. But either way, his contract will be up following next season and do we pay him LT money to play RT where he could be outmatched? Slot him at Guard and hope he plays well? A LT needy team will over pay him and he'll leave is the scenario I envision. I'd like a contigency plan in place should it happen. If it doesn't, Brennan is our swing Tackle and is perfect depth for 2 OTs with injury issues.

I like Williams, had him to us in a mock, but id rather wait till next season and see how it plays out, we should have cap space and see what happens with his contract. maybe he likes the RT position and would like to help build the franchise. But if were going off speculations, we need to draft 2 or 3 wide receivers, cause quick hasn't shown us anything.
Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:
Gambino62 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

I like Williams, had him to us in a mock, but id rather wait till next season and see how it plays out, we should have cap space and see what happens with his contract. maybe he likes the RT position and would like to help build the franchise. But if were going off speculations, we need to draft 2 or 3 wide receivers, cause quick hasn't shown us anything.

Very possible, I'd love to think Saffold is a stand up and die hard St. Louis fan and he takes a pay cut to play out of position while we build. It's just hard for me to see that.

As for Quick, we all knew he was a work in progress and the usual bar for a WR to go from college to NFL is 3 years. We got spoiled with Givens but I don't think we scrap Quick unless he shows absolutely nothing next year.

Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambino62 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:
Gambino62 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:
kgarrett12486 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

Very possible, I'd love to think Saffold is a stand up and die hard St. Louis fan and he takes a pay cut to play out of position while we build. It's just hard for me to see that.

As for Quick, we all knew he was a work in progress and the usual bar for a WR to go from college to NFL is 3 years. We got spoiled with Givens but I don't think we scrap Quick unless he shows absolutely nothing next year.

exactly my point on why we shouldn't draft Williams, we dont know what we have with Saffold so why waste a pick, even though i like Williams.
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambino62 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

I know a lot of people aren't high on Bell like I am, but may I ask why you're not a fan of Greene? Just curious.

Im not big on converted safety to LB guys like Ogeltree and Greene. I would prefer a guy like Bostic a round or two later.

1. Amari Cooper
2. Brandon Scherff
3. Todd Gurley
Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoj398 wrote:
exactly my point on why we shouldn't draft Williams, we dont know what we have with Saffold so why waste a pick, even though i like Williams.

I don't believe it is a wasted pick even if Saffold stays. The line needs depth with both Jake Long and Rodger Saffold having considerable injury history. A 4th RD pick and the salary he'll command for the importance of his role is hardly a waste.

But, it looks we'll have a difference of opinions when it comes to this topic. That's perfectly fine though, it's what makes mock drafts fun. Very Happy

Gambino62

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEE RAWL wrote:
Gambino62 wrote:
DEE RAWL wrote:

Im not big on converted safety to LB guys like Ogeltree and Greene. I would prefer a guy like Bostic a round or two later.

Fair enough. If you had to select someone for Greene's spot who would it be?

Hoj398

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gambino62 wrote:
Hoj398 wrote:

I don't believe it is a wasted pick even if Saffold stays. The line needs depth with both Jake Long and Rodger Saffold having considerable injury history. A 4th RD pick and the salary he'll command for the importance of his role is hardly a waste.

But, it looks we'll have a difference of opinions when it comes to this topic. That's perfectly fine though, it's what makes mock drafts fun. Very Happy

like i said i like Williams, and wouldnt mind if he comes here, but we have many holes that need to be filled, with have Barksdale, Neyshke (SP) and Watkins for depth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: