Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

2013 NFL DRAFT: New York Giants Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonynygiants10

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 2013 NFL DRAFT: New York Giants Edition Reply with quote

bballbkd1001 wrote:
With the offseason being over (pretty much) and to keep the threads to a minimum, we can absorb all picks we can see/hope for in the 2013 Draft in this one.
first off, I would like to welcome all the new faces who have been posting. It's always nice to see new people and their opinions! Keep up the activity.

Once again, the Giants enter a year without many holes but enough to fill a need and gain the best player available. The top of the draft is very, very thin (which is good with Philly sitting at number 4.) A player, such as Bjoern Werner can go as high as a top five pick or can fall to us at 19.

NEEDS:
OLINE
LINEBACKER
CORNERBACK
DLINE

As for the first overall pick, I have seen several different positions addressed but the name that keeps up popping up is
BJOERN WERNER:
Height: 6'3
Weight: 266

PRODUCTIVITY:
Quote:
One of the most enjoyable defensive players to watch in college football is the German-born defensive end from Florida State.
A foreign-exchange student, Werner didn't begin playing football until he was 15, instantly falling in love with the sport. He bounced between Germany and the U.S. during high school before deciding to play at Florida State, choosing the Seminoles over Oregon.

Werner saw limited action as a true freshman backup in 2010 with 20 tackles, 6.0 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. He was named one of the team MVPs the following spring and earned a starting job at left defensive end.

Werner turned heads as a sophomore starter, making a name for himself as both a pass rusher and run stuffer with his strong, but fast style of play. He finished 2011 with 11.0 tackles for loss and 7.0 sacks, just behind Brandon Jenkins for the team lead in both categories.

With Jenkins injured early in the season, Tank Carradine emerged as a force on the right side for the Seminoles until he also suffered a season-ending injury. Through the changes on the other side, Werner continued to rack up big numbers, including an ACC-best 13.0 sacks and a team-high 18 tackles for loss to go with 42 tackles overall and eight pass breakups.

ANALYSIS:
Quote:
STRENGTHS: Werner has good get-off quickness and bend to beat blockers off the snap. Natural instincts and upside makes him an attractive pass-rushing prospect for teams selecting in the top five. Still developing, with a high ceiling, but already shows outstanding football awareness, reading the ballcarrier and batting down passes at the line of scrimmage. Strong hands to win the edge and get around blockers, using his body strength and feet to flatten to the pocket.
WEAKNESSES: Lacks elite length for the position and doesn't have the natural start/stop explosion of some pass rushers. Will lose leverage at times, especially off the snap when he gets too high out of his stance. Has improved his awareness against the run, but still has room to improve his ability to sift through the trash and defeat off-balance blocks.

Motor tends to run hot/cold at times, especially late in games or if the play isn't to his side of the field. Needs to consistently finish when he gets his hands on the ballcarrier. Has a history of minor injuries, including a left hand issue that bothered him this past season.

PROJECTED PICK:
Pick 5-20

Next Prospect, also a Florida St. prospect is Tank Carradine who is a fan favorite on the boards:
Height: 6'4
Weight: 275

PRODUCTIVITY:

Quote:
The injury is devastating news for Carradine, who had played his way into the first round discussion after an excellent senior campaign, recording 11.0 sacks and 13.0 tackles for loss through 12 games in 2012.

ANALYSIS:
Quote:
Strengths: Good-looking athlete with agile feet and very good closing speed. Natural bend and flexibility around the edge with smooth lateral quickness and redirection skills. Quick in pursuit to force the issue and has the athleticism to recover from a false step.
Very good footwork to sidestep blockers to flatten and close on the pocket. Shows fluid movements and short-area burst, but also rangy. Active hands and limbs to swat and stay balanced through contact. Reliable in the open field, using his length to wrap and discipline to not sell out.

Accurate recognition skills and showed immense development in this area, setting the edge and making quick reads. Improved hand use to rip and tear, keeping low pad level through the process. Hungry player and his effort doesn't waver, going hard for all four quarters and rarely taking a play off. Chiseled frame and looks the part. Stepped up in 2012 after starter Brandon Jenkins went down with injury, producing excellent numbers.

Weaknesses: Still growing at the position and developing his pass rush moves. Didn't become a starter until his senior season with most of his playing experience coming at the JUCO level. Needs to continue adding strength and bulk to his frame, can be overpowered at times in the trenches.

Room to improve his snap anticipation off the edge with too many offsides penalties on his resume. Strong durability concerns after a torn ACL in his right knee in the fourth quarter of the 2012 season finale and most likely won't be able to work out for scouts pre-draft.

PROJECTED PICK:
Somewhere in the 25-40 range

Out of the two, I'd prefer Bjoern Werner. Being a more polished player than Tank with more experience. Tank has dealt with a serious knee injury and only started 12 games in his career.

ANOTHER player from Florida State that I've seen going to the Giants is Xavier Rhodes cornerback.
Height: 6'2
Weight 210

Productivity:
Quote:
Although he had a rough start at cornerback, Rhodes earned his way onto the field as a freshman, but a hand injury ended his season prematurely and led to a medical redshirt. The injury ended up to be a blessing in disguise because it allowed Rhodes to watch film and learn the subtle nuances of the cornerback position while he redshirted.

He returned healthy in 2010 and started all 14 games, emerging as one of the young studs of the Seminoles' defense with 12 pass break-ups and four interceptions. Rhodes failed to match his production as a sophomore (four pass break-ups, one interception), but teams tended to stay away from his side of the field.

Rhodes flirted with the NFL waters after the 2011 season, but decided to return to Tallahassee, especially after he suffered a knee injury in a bowl win over Notre Dame.

He tied for the team-lead in interceptions (three) in 2012, giving him eight over the past three seasons, and earned first-team All-ACC honors. He put up solid numbers despite teams largely staying away from Rhodes' side of the field.

Analysis:

Quote:
STRENGTHS: Rhodes is strong for the position with a solidly-built frame and excellent arm length. He loves to jam and get physical in press coverage, getting in the face of receivers at the line of scrimmage and staying aggressive through the whistle.
Rhodes has very good click-and-close ability with strong plant-and-go burst to drive on plays in front of him, undercutting routes and knocking down passes. He does a nice job getting his head around to locate and high point with very good leaping ability and timing. Rhodes can flip his hips and easily change directions with a near-effortless transition, showing the ability to adjust and contort his body.

He is confident and instinctive in coverage, coming off his man to make a play on the ball with very good ballskills. Rhodes does a nice job defeating blocks to be a factor against the run and is a punishing striker, making the decleating hit if it's there.

He has very good experience with 39 career starts, finishing his collegiate career with eight interceptions and 31 passes defended.

WEAKNESSES: Rhodes tends to get too physical in tight coverage, playing too hands-on and grabby, which will attract pass interference penalties. He plays very aggressive with the ball in the air, but makes too much contact and needs to pay more attention to body position.

Rhodes needs to show better discipline and is susceptible to play fakes and misdirection. He lacks elite long-speed and isn't a quick-twitch type of athlete. Rhodes needs to stay assignment-sound holding contain against the run. He needs to eliminate the penalties and stay focused, controlling his intensity.

PROJECTED PICK:
15-25 range

Next corner that can be a possible draft selection on day one is Desmond Trufant:
Height: 6'0
Weight: 190

PROUCTIVITY:
Quote:
A four-year starter, Trufant earned his way onto the field as a true freshman in 2009 and showed steady progression over his career. He set career-bests in 2011 as a junior with a pair of interceptions and 16 passes defended, but decided to return for his senior year. Although his senior stats weren't as impressive (1 interception, 9 passes defended), teams mostly stayed away from Trufant's side of the field as he was easily the top defender on the Huskies' roster. While he needs to refine his technique and is far from a polished product, there is no question he has the fluidity and competitiveness to fight for a spot in the first round.

ANALYSIS:
Quote:
Strengths: Athletic with fluid footwork, flashing the foot agility to drive quickly on the play. Looks natural in space, staying balanced with the hips and transition skills to redirect in any direction. Physical and fights for the ball when it's in the air, showing an excellent competitive nature. Doesn't shy from contact and will get his nose dirty in run support. Very good job tracking and highpointing with a top vertical to get his hands on the ball. Good bloodlines and understands the NFL process. Good experience as a four-year starter (47 career starts), spending time both inside and outside and in both man and zone coverage.
Weaknesses: Narrow torso, lean muscle tone and only average length. Opens his hips too early to protect against speed and needs to stay under control in his movements. Streaky technique once the ball in snapped and reverts to bad habits, relying on his natural athleticism over fundamentals. Lacks elite top-end speed and can be beat vertically. Inconsistent tackling technique, hitting too high and lacking the strength to consistently finish. Plays close to the line of scrimmage but doesn't make much contact and needs to improve his body position downfield. Too much of a grabber. Nagging hamstring injury late in 2012.

PROJECTED PICK:
20-30 range

MORE TO COME SHORTLY

I think thank is a lil better than werner and I believe if both of them are available at 19 the giants will select tank..
bigblueben

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work with the write ups bball.

I guess it's a sign of a good team when you go into the draft a little unsure of where the pick will go, and with so much talent penciled in that 15-25 zone we're going to end up with a top player regardless.

I'm kind of leaning towards Arthur Brown at the moment. Yeah there's the knock on his size but he just seems such a sure thing, and I think that's kind of what we could do with in the middle of the linebacker corps.

mad props to Rase on the sig
tonynygiants10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigblueben wrote:

I guess it's a sign of a good team when you go into the draft a little unsure of where the pick will go, and with so much talent penciled in that 15-25 zone we're going to end up with a top player regardless.

I'm kind of leaning towards Arthur Brown at the moment. Yeah there's the knock on his size but he just seems such a sure thing, and I think that's kind of what we could do with in the middle of the linebacker corps.

I agree but I Would have my borad would have tank 1 werner1b Richardson 2 3 Rhodes or johnathan banks 3 brown/teo/orgertree 4 tyler eifert 5
GMENNATION

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonynygiants10 wrote:
bigblueben wrote:

I agree but I Would have my borad would have tank 1 werner1b Richardson 2 3 Rhodes or johnathan banks 3 brown/teo/orgertree 4 tyler eifert 5

Even if we loved Johnathan Banks I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round... Most places I've read he is sliding to late 2nd and even into the 3rd. Don't think he'd be great value at 19.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="GMENNATION"]
tonynygiants10 wrote:
bigblueben wrote:

Even if we loved Johnathan Banks I wouldn't touch him in

the 1st round... Most places I've read he is sliding to late 2nd and even into the 3rd. Don't think he'd be great value at 19.[/uote

I agree banks should be our second if he falls to us..
I Would take tank or werner @19 and kyle long in the 2nd any thoughts
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="tonynygiants10"]
GMENNATION wrote:
tonynygiants10 wrote:
bigblueben wrote:

the 1st round... Most places I've read he is sliding to late 2nd and even into the 3rd. Don't think he'd be great value at 19.[/uote

It seems that a lot of Giants fans are big on drafting Tank in the first round. With rumors of Kiwi returning to DE is their really a need? I know Reese takes BPA typically regardless if there is a need or not, its one of the reason the Giants have been so successful in the draft. My thoughts are with Rolle taking such a large portion of the cap (7mil) and with his lack of production last season. I would be looking at one of the top free safeties, or offensive line. I'd love to have Cooper, think he fits the system over Warmack and tackle/guard Fluker. I don't see Boothe as the answer to our guard situation. Lets not leave off linebacker, god knows we need one of them but not sure I'd jump at 19 with the linebackers.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DE wouldn't really be considered a need, but it's what Reese does. Remember when we drafted JPP? You were probably saying the same thing. Reality is, Tuck is entering the final year of his contract, is over 30, and unproductive the last two years. Kiwi has a lucrative contract that could possibly be in danger of being cut if he doesn't live up to expectations. It's time to replenish the talent at DE to pair with JPP for the future.

This draft is unique for the following reasons. First of all, it is loaded with pass rushers in the first round. Getting a DL should be a priority because the talent falls off after the first 50 picks. I think Tank fits best because he is what the Giants look for in a DE. He's got good size, great motor, and raw talent rushing the passer. Pairing him and JPP would give us a great duo for the future. Secondly, this draft has tons of depth at the Giants positions of need. DB, OL, LB, and TE are very deep in rounds 2-5. This draft is set up perfectly for the Giants to get an elite pass rushing talent, as well as filling areas of need with solid prospects for great value. This draft class is set up well for Reese and Co.
tonynygiants10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="ny92jefferis"]
tonynygiants10 wrote:
GMENNATION wrote:
tonynygiants10 wrote:
bigblueben wrote:

It seems that a lot of Giants fans are big on drafting Tank in the first round. With rumors of Kiwi returning to DE is their really a need? I know Reese takes BPA typically regardless if there is a need or not, its one of the reason
the Giants have been so successful in the draft. My
thoughts are with Rolle taking such a large portion of the
cap (7mil) and with his lack of production last season. I
would be looking at one of the top free safeties, or
offensive line. I'd love to have Cooper, think he fits the
system over Warmack and tackle/guard Fluker. I don't see Boothe as the answer to our guard situation. Lets not leave off linebacker, god knows we need one of them but not sure I'd jump at 19 with the linebackers.

In my heart of hearts if and only if tank is gone and werner.. I think tyler eifert should be the pick if werner and tank are gone here's what danny flynn a bleacher report reporter said yesterday in an article

The Giants parted ways with their top tight end Martellus Bennett this offseason, which has opened up a huge hole at the position that now needs to be filled.

Neither Brandon Myers nor Bear Pascoe are legitimate No. 1 tight ends. Super-athletic Adrien Robinson is loaded with potential, but he's still an unproven commodity after barely seeing the field as a rookie in 2012.

New York could turn to the draft to find Bennett's replacement. If the team has a shot at this year's top tight end prospect, Notre Dame's Tyler Eifert, he would obviously be tough to pass up.

Eifert is the exact type of prospect that GM Jerry Reese is looking for. The athletic pass-catcher is a smart, humble and hard-working player, who will present plenty of matchup problems for opposing defenses Another mock draft I read here from I'm assumeing is from the guy who made this website his mock draft has the giants selecting tyler eifert as well here's what he said * Brandon Myers was signed in free agency, but he's nothing spectacular. Eiffert has the skills to be a playmaker as a receiver and shows potential as a blocker. The team hasn't had a playmaker like Eiffert since Jeremy Shockey's prime.
HakeemTheDream

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly, highly doubt the Giants go TE in the first round. I don't really view it as a position of need with Myers signed to a relatively cheap contract. The contract is 4 years, $14m, but can be voided after any year. Great value if he can produce similar receiving stats as well as become an effective blocker. They also think highly of Adrien Robinson, who needs to be given a chance. I can see the Giants going TE somewhere in rounds 3-7, but not in the first. Some TEs I'd love to draft are Kelce, Escobar, and McDonald.
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:
I highly, highly doubt the Giants go TE in the first round. I don't really view it as a position of need with Myers signed to a relatively cheap contract. The contract is 4 years, $14m, but can be voided after any year. Great value if he can produce similar receiving stats as well as become an effective blocker. They also think highly of Adrien Robinson, who needs to be given a chance. I can see the Giants going TE somewhere in rounds 3-7, but not in the first. Some TEs I'd love to draft are Kelce, Escobar, and McDonald.

Didn't realize it was a voidable 4 year contract was thinking it was a one year deal. Its settled then. TE in the first, not likely.
tonynygiants10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so myers to me is a stop gap and Robinson will be a arron hernadez type but a better blocker with the addition of eifert our offence could have the potential to be top 5 or 10 with nicks,cruz,randle,wilson,brown,myers,eifert and Robinson can sit out for one more year. I don't think myers has the blocking skills and he's pretty good not great myers along with coach pope could help the duo of eifert and Robinson become dynamic
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonynygiants10 wrote:
I don't think so myers to me is a stop gap and Robinson will be a arron hernadez type but a better blocker with the addition of eifert our offence could have the potential to be top 5 or 10 with nicks,cruz,randle,wilson,brown,myers,eifert and Robinson can sit out for one more year. I don't think myers has the blocking skills and he's pretty good not great myers along with coach pope could help the duo of eifert and Robinson become dynamic

What would be the point of having all those options?

If we select Eifert then Nicks or Cruz would be traded
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HakeemTheDream wrote:

I agree with this, a 4-5th Round Pick is the most likely scenario. One thing of note. Pope specifically to Nick Kasa's Colorado Pro Day to work with him. Is that the TE Pope loves? He would fit the mid-rnd category too.
tonynygiants10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not at all look at green bay arron has all those options what my point is we could have 3 wide outs and 2 tes that u cant double cover anyone myers would just be a one year stop gap for Robinson.. eifert would help eli also when eli is son the run to have a guy that can run after the catch to get a first down. Also myers is a liability on pass and run protection
Acgott

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonynygiants10 wrote:
No not at all look at green bay arron has all those options what my point is we could have 3 wide outs and 2 tes that u cant double cover anyone myers would just be a one year stop gap for Robinson.. eifert would help eli also when eli is son the run to have a guy that can run after the catch to get a first down. Also myers is a liability on pass and run protection

The Packers do not have to worry about Cruz or Nicks getting major contracts.

Nelson and Cobb are not free agents until 2015.

It would make no sense for the Giants to keep both Cruz and Nicks with major contracts and draft a TE in the first.

The Giants would not be able to get Wilson, Cruz, Nicks, Myers, Eifert, Randle on the field at the same time

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: