Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Cannon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
24isthelaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
I had him pegged as a bulldozer type guard coming out of school, so I would be good for it. I am sure he will practice at both spots in camp and if he outplays Svitek, perhaps Svitek doesnt make the roster. Honestly, he will probably be the first guy up at every line position save center. BB lauded his improvement, but that was a tackle, not guard (only 12 snaps at guard last season).

Im torn I guess. I'm also not going to make a stand reading between the lines of a BB quote, so I guess I am going with Guard first, but a guy who can play across the line.

I think he gets a lot more snaps at guard in camp this year. I would love for him to replace Connolly who would kick over to center.

Wendell is a better, more durable, less expensive center than Connolly

No kidding. In terms of production and consistency relative to expectations, Wendell was our best offensive player imo. Had a whale of a AFC championship too. Handled Ngata/Jones in pass pro. I wasn't a believer before the season started but he's really won me over as a long term piece of the puzzle.

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
patsfan25

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always been a natural fit at Guard IMO: primarily RG. He has the bulk and technique to play there. I don't think he has the length to play Tackle. Would really like for him to eventually start at RG.
Forced Fumbles:1
PDs2:
INTs:1
Pick 6s:
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
I had him pegged as a bulldozer type guard coming out of school, so I would be good for it. I am sure he will practice at both spots in camp and if he outplays Svitek, perhaps Svitek doesnt make the roster. Honestly, he will probably be the first guy up at every line position save center. BB lauded his improvement, but that was a tackle, not guard (only 12 snaps at guard last season).

Im torn I guess. I'm also not going to make a stand reading between the lines of a BB quote, so I guess I am going with Guard first, but a guy who can play across the line.

I think he gets a lot more snaps at guard in camp this year. I would love for him to replace Connolly who would kick over to center.

No kidding. In terms of production and consistency relative to expectations, Wendell was our best offensive player imo. Had a whale of a AFC championship too. Handled Ngata/Jones in pass pro. I wasn't a believer before the season started but he's really won me over as a long term piece of the puzzle.

Wendell was pretty terrible in pass protection early in the season. The Patriots were allowing way too much pressure up the middle and Wendell gave up five sacks in the first five games (six overall). He certainly improved his pass blocking as the season and did not allow a sack after week 10, though defenses still got some pressure up the middle.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Wendell was pretty terrible in pass protection early in the season. The Patriots were allowing way too much pressure up the middle and Wendell gave up five sacks in the first five games (six overall). He certainly improved his pass blocking as the season and did not allow a sack after week 10, though defenses still got some pressure up the middle.

Such is the problem with using sacks allowed as a stat.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

He was lousy by any measure. He allowed 18 QB hurries, more than any other center and 2 QB hits. That is a total of 26 QB pressures from the center position, which is tied for most in the league. Dan Koppen, by contrast allowed only 7 QB pressures on 70% of the snaps. Dominic Raiola played 100 more snaps and allowed only 17 pressures. Wendell was below par in pass protection.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

He was lousy by any measure. He allowed 18 QB hurries, more than any other center and 2 QB hits. That is a total of 26 QB pressures from the center position, which is tied for most in the league. Dan Koppen, by contrast allowed only 7 QB pressures on 70% of the snaps. Dominic Raiola played 100 more snaps and allowed only 17 pressures. Wendell was below par in pass protection.

Using those types of stats to evaluate an OL is worthless IMO. Often hurries and sacks are attributed to a guy when they shouldn't be.
nextsuperstar

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
nextsuperstar wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
mcmurtry86 wrote:
patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:

Using those types of stats to evaluate an OL is worthless IMO. Often hurries and sacks are attributed to a guy when they shouldn't be.

Not perfect, sure, but they do tell a story. It is impossible to really get an impression of offensive line play from watching a game, when certain plays stand out, but other plays go unnoticed.
mcmurtry86

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextsuperstar wrote:

Not perfect, sure, but they do tell a story. It is impossible to really get an impression of offensive line play from watching a game, when certain plays stand out, but other plays go unnoticed.

The only way to evaluate good OL play (beyond the obvious plays you see on TV) is to watch the All-22.

Using sack/pressure stats to evaluate OL - especially interior OL - is really misleading IMO. Without context, the numbers are meaningless.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: