Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Marcus Cannon
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39425
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Marcus Cannon Reply with quote

With Sebastian Vollmer back, Will Svitek on board at OT and Donald Thomas in Indy, could Cannon be our top back-up back for the guard position?

He did improve towards the end of the season at RT but he still wasn't very good, and struggled for most of the season at the position, he was played guard at TCU [in addition to starting as tackle] so to me it feels like a more natural fit for him anyway.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute


Last edited by Billy Spikes on Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7592
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Cannon Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
With Sebastian Vollmer back, Will Svitek on board at OT and Donald Thomas in Indy, could Cannon be our top back-up back for the guard position?

He did improve towards the end of the season at RT but he still wasn't very good, and struggled for most of the season at the position, he was a guard at TCU so it's a more natural fit for him anyway.


1. He did great when he played at tackle, albeit in blowouts.
2. He played left tackle at TCU.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39425
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Cannon Reply with quote

24isthelaw wrote:
1. He did great when he played at tackle, albeit in blowouts.


Disagree, he was never "great", played above average towards the end of the season but for the most part of the season he wasn't really good.

24isthelaw wrote:
2. He played left tackle at TCU.


And guard, which i feel is a better fit for him.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
24isthelaw


Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 7592
Location: Where the Patriots are
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Marcus Cannon Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
24isthelaw wrote:
1. He did great when he played at tackle, albeit in blowouts.


Disagree, he was never "great", played above average towards the end of the season but for the most part of the season he wasn't really good.

24isthelaw wrote:
2. He played left tackle at TCU.


And guard, which i feel is a better fit for him.


He was a left tackle in college. Saying he was a guard in college is like saying Troy Brown was a cornerback. Cannon's position was left tackle and he switched if injuries struck.
_________________

Adopt-a-Patriot: Marcus Forston - Practice squad (0 tackles, 0 sacks)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39425
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

All i was saying is that he played the position of guard at TCU and i feel he's a better fit now there.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 9821
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we all assumed he would move to OG but then a report came out saying that Cannon would only play OT (RT) I have no idea why he can't succeed at OG, he certainly has the measurables and the bulk. I just wish Donald Thomas came back Sad
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TomRalph


Joined: 03 Apr 2009
Posts: 9821
Location: Revis Island
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick McDonald always did OK at OG or C when pressed. I think he could provide solid depth at 3 positions,
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChazStandard


Joined: 10 Dec 2007
Posts: 3558
Location: The bandwagon, hop on up!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Svitek was probably Vollmer insurance. I think Cannon is still the main back-up tackle still.
_________________


Quote:
Well, I'm the President of the Howdy Doody Circus Army!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
PatriotsWin!


Joined: 10 Jan 2007
Posts: 18149
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannon is a tackle, always has been (was a LT at TCU, not a guard). Not sure how well he could transition to guard, I'm assuming they kept him at tackle b/c he's a better fit there. We do need to add some more veteran backups along the interior line tho, we're very thin there.
_________________

Mack on the sig
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goldfishwars


Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Posts: 8517
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most had him pegged to make a transition to Guard before he was drafted, but all the noise coming out from the coaching set-up so far is that the team view him as a Tackle only.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Donut


Joined: 13 Jan 2008
Posts: 12418
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldfishwars wrote:
Most had him pegged to make a transition to Guard before he was drafted, but all the noise coming out from the coaching set-up so far is that the team view him as a Tackle only.

But we never really had anyone at OT and had plenty of depth at interior OL(McDonald, Wendell and Thomas) and really had nothing at OT. Now we have Svitek and Zucevics as backup OTs. We can really see where we view his best spot on the OL.
_________________
dhunt2402 wrote:
You're like the patron saint of roster bubble players Laughing
Adopt a Patriot:
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
Billy Spikes


Joined: 12 Jul 2008
Posts: 39425
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donut wrote:
goldfishwars wrote:
Most had him pegged to make a transition to Guard before he was drafted, but all the noise coming out from the coaching set-up so far is that the team view him as a Tackle only.

But we never really had anyone at OT and had plenty of depth at interior OL(McDonald, Wendell and Thomas) and really had nothing at OT. Now we have Svitek and Zucevics as backup OTs. We can really see where we view his best spot on the OL.


More or less what i was thinking.
_________________
#JDI
Official Roster Cutdowns Thread
All Time Top Ten Safeties Ranking
Tom Brady Tribute
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Deadpulse


Joined: 16 Oct 2008
Posts: 8341
Location: Boston MA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had him pegged as a bulldozer type guard coming out of school, so I would be good for it. I am sure he will practice at both spots in camp and if he outplays Svitek, perhaps Svitek doesnt make the roster. Honestly, he will probably be the first guy up at every line position save center. BB lauded his improvement, but that was a tackle, not guard (only 12 snaps at guard last season).

Im torn I guess. I'm also not going to make a stand reading between the lines of a BB quote, so I guess I am going with Guard first, but a guy who can play across the line.
_________________

Sigs
Patriots Red Sox Celtics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
patman


Joined: 02 Jan 2006
Posts: 978
Location: Tiverton RI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deadpulse wrote:
I had him pegged as a bulldozer type guard coming out of school, so I would be good for it. I am sure he will practice at both spots in camp and if he outplays Svitek, perhaps Svitek doesnt make the roster. Honestly, he will probably be the first guy up at every line position save center. BB lauded his improvement, but that was a tackle, not guard (only 12 snaps at guard last season).

Im torn I guess. I'm also not going to make a stand reading between the lines of a BB quote, so I guess I am going with Guard first, but a guy who can play across the line.


I think he gets a lot more snaps at guard in camp this year. I would love for him to replace Connolly who would kick over to center.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mcmurtry86


Joined: 02 Mar 2010
Posts: 23044
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patman wrote:
Deadpulse wrote:
I had him pegged as a bulldozer type guard coming out of school, so I would be good for it. I am sure he will practice at both spots in camp and if he outplays Svitek, perhaps Svitek doesnt make the roster. Honestly, he will probably be the first guy up at every line position save center. BB lauded his improvement, but that was a tackle, not guard (only 12 snaps at guard last season).

Im torn I guess. I'm also not going to make a stand reading between the lines of a BB quote, so I guess I am going with Guard first, but a guy who can play across the line.


I think he gets a lot more snaps at guard in camp this year. I would love for him to replace Connolly who would kick over to center.


Wendell is a better, more durable, less expensive center than Connolly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New England Patriots All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group