Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Dumervil replacement
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How to replace Dumervil?
Dwight Freeney
24%
 24%  [ 8 ]
John Abraham
39%
 39%  [ 13 ]
Robert Ayers
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
a rookie
15%
 15%  [ 5 ]
Jeremy Beal
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 33

Russell2Bailey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:
A comparison of draftable pass-rushers:

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/metrics-breakdown-top-pass-rushers-tier-1

Carradine and Okafor look like they should be high on the Bronco's board.

So a one year wonder who's coming off an ACL Tear and a Robert Ayers clone?
[quote="Reggie Nelson#1"] Radio-"Peyton give the ball to Ball. Ball drops the ball & Ball scoops it up! He's going downfield, TOUCHDOWN! Ball pats him on the back for when he lost the ball."[/quote]
Winder23

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JerseysFinest27 wrote:
Winder23 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
JerseysFinest27 wrote:
broncos67 wrote:
Everyone knows I like Big Rob, and while I think he's underperformed as a player so far, he's going to have a big role in our D. Look at Vick's comments yesterday, he said time for No. 91 to step up.

I think we certainly sign a vet, looking like Freeney, but the DP (unsurprisingly) has written conflicting articles about the situation.

Id like to see Ayers get the shot. As some have pointed out, he performed well at times last year when he replaced Doom. Give him a shot and draft a player like Lemonier for sub-packages

Truthfully, if they took Lemonier in Round 2 I wouldn't be mad. I still don't know if it's a given that Denver drafts a DE early. People think they need to match Doom's sack total (which is wrong), but they need to have a presence. If Abraham/Ayers are that presence, we're fine.
I Like Lemonier, but I worry he will be better suited as an OLB. He has a good motor and initial burst, but he would need to add weight to play DE in a 4-3. The added weight would take away from his speed and explosiveness He also needs ALOT of work in the run game. Love Lemonier, just not for the Broncos.

OLB or DE, hes going to be in on sub-packages. JDR will use him however he may please.

I think too many people, including myself, get carried away with being an OLB or DE. If its a passing situation, the DC needs to put them in the right scheme and the player will decide if he goes hand-up or hand-down. Either way, the player will rush the passer.
I took some more time and found some more Lemonier games to watch. I went back to 2011 and watched his Georgia and Alabama games. Not all that impressive. What I did notice is improved strength and use of hands when comparing 2011 from 2012. There is improvement in footwork as well. Enough so that I have changed my view on him some. He brings it on every play. With continued improvement, NFL coaching and added strength I could see Lemonier blossoming into a good RDE.

I do not however see a first round talent. There is too much missing from his game to even be considered in the first round as you assert in another thread. I actually think he is a 2nd or 3rd round prospect like so many other scouting services have indicated.

Also, this signing should help dispell any absurd notions that Freeney and Abraham are worth anywhere near 6 million a year. Umenyiora's contract seems more in line to me with what the market for an aging DE should be.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/975/osi-umenyiora
dbronx42

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's starting to look more and more likely we might just stick with Ayers and draft a pass rushing DE high in the draft. Can't say I would be against it, but I'd much rather bring in John Abraham on a 2 year deal. Gives us another 10+ sack guy along with adding some veteran leadership. But for some odd reason Elway doesn't seem interested.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbronx42 wrote:
It's starting to look more and more likely we might just stick with Ayers and draft a pass rushing DE high in the draft. Can't say I would be against it, but I'd much rather bring in John Abraham on a 2 year deal. Gives us another 10+ sack guy along with adding some veteran leadership. But for some odd reason Elway doesn't seem interested.
I'd say he's interested just not at the price their commanding.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobdevine wrote:

http://thesidelineview.com/columns/nfl/metrics-breakdown-top-pass-rushers-tier-1

Seems like Carradine is the most consistent of the pass rushers. Is there a coincidence that his numbers were that good with Werner on the other side of him. I think that should be considered when the Broncos evaluate Carradine, considering that he will be paired with Von.
broncos67

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jsthomp2007 wrote:
bobdevine wrote:

Seems like Carradine is the most consistent of the pass rushers. Is there a coincidence that his numbers were that good with Werner on the other side of him. I think that should be considered when the Broncos evaluate Carradine, considering that he will be paired with Von.

I would definitely agree with this.

Thanks, Tzimisce
BroncoinGermany

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klis - Broncos seem likely to stick with Ayers at DE and draft a pass rusher:

http://bit.ly/16je2yU

Chasing Lombardi and Stanley!
WELTMEISTER 2014 * * * *
by Joe_is_the_best
paul-mac

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

broncosfan07 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
I don't see why the price even matters, they'll be our last signing, might as well use up our cap space.
broncosfan07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul-mac wrote:
broncosfan07 wrote:
dbronx42 wrote:
I don't see why the price even matters, they'll be our last signing, might as well use up our cap space.
Because you don't sign players just for the sake of signing players.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure I am comfortable going with Ayers, Beal, and a rookie. Defensive linemen can take some time to develop and many never do. Take Ayers for example. He has done nothing in four years after being a first round pick. It is an all too common theme when drafting d-linemen. I can think of alot of busts from the position over the years.

With the Broncos on the brink of a title, I would be disappointed with the current players carrying the load with a rookie(s).
kansas bob

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that MAYBE the coaches think they already have Doom's replacement on the payroll. Beal and Garland have been with the team for two years and I understand that some of the coaches have good expectations of them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AKRNA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kansas bob wrote:
I think that MAYBE the coaches think they already have Doom's replacement on the payroll. Beal and Garland have been with the team for two years and I understand that some of the coaches have good expectations of them.

It'd make sense. They've been in no rush to sign a replacement and were lass than agressive in their pursuit of Doom. malik Jackson has to be considered also.

Hard to imagine a low 1st rookie contributing at DE in his 1st year. As others have posted, DL seems to have a bit longer maturation time than some other spots. Somewhere in the group of Ayers, jackson, Beal and Garland they may feel they've got the answer.
Donut

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freeney and Abraham are basically limited to 2 teams. Denver an New England. Both wont overpay. They're going to be signed after the draft imo. It really isnt that alarming. I also wouldnt reach for a pass rusher in the draft.
2011: Matt Slater
2012: Ras I Dowling
2013: Chandler Jones
AntiSuperstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want the team to guarantee any money, no matter how small, to any of these aging DE veterans past next season. That would be a dumb move to make, maybe we have learned something from the Ty Warren mistake.
bobdevine

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Freeney wants too much money:

Quote:
According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Freeney is looking for more than the contract Osi Umenyiora signed with the Atlanta Falcons earlier this week. Umenyiora’s deal is worth $8.5 million over the next two seasons. Freeney is reportedly seeking a contract in the neighborhood of $6 million a season.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/29/dwight-freeney-looking-for-more-than-osi-umenyioras-deal-with-falcons/

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Denver Broncos All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: