Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Would you trade up in 1st?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Would you trade up in 1st? Reply with quote

Almost every year, specifically in the first round, there is a guy I want the Steelers to trade up and grab. Willis in 07, Stewart in 08, Nicks in 09, and Amukamara in 11. As a fan obviously you can yell for a trade all you want but ultimately what we think/want the Steelers to do doesn't matter in their decision making, so obviously this is just for fun.

The most recent trade ups by the Steelers we've seen them move up in the 1st to grab Polamalu and Holmes, in the 2nd to grab Bell and Colclough and in the 4th to grab Sepulveda and Ta'amu. Tendency wise they don't trade anything higher than a 3rd and a lower round pick to move up in the first, a 4th to move up in the 2nd, and a 6th round pick to move up in the 4th.

Going off their past tendencies and using the draft chart for values... The highest pick I can see the Steelers going up is to trade 1.17, 3.79, 5.150 to get to pick 12 or 13. The values aren't exact but only 20 points off for 12 so its possible you would need to change the 5th to a 4th, but the chart is a guidline not exact.

Giving that, is there a player you think may be available that is worth trading up for is this years draft? Please give the player you would pick and how high you'd be willing to go up for them... Or if your not willing to trade up for anyone in the first.

I don't want to focus this thread on the player I would trade up for, so I'll post my scenario in a reply later
1BackInBlackFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not trade up for anyone, no matter who is available. The team has too many holes to be giving up picks for. If the team was just one player or position away from being elite then I could see it but they aren't.

^^The only QB in history with 6 TD passes in B2B games plus two 500 yard games. Props to UniversalAuthor for Big Ben's sig!
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say NO. There is no one player I'm dying to get in the 1st rd. Given the fact that we have so many holes, I wouldn't be willing to trade 2 additional picks to move up. That's way too costly in a year when we need to reload a lot of depth and a couple of starters. There are plenty of good players that will be available at #17 imo.
BigSnack

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree that i dont think we should trade up for anyone in this draft, but to give a response on if we did trade up the only player going ahead of us i would even consider is if millner fell to 12. even then i am still content staying put or even trading down ourselves if we could find a partner

Yeast infection.
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'd be more likely to trade up for a guy in the second. That's where the real value is in this draft, and for most of the picks, it'd only cost you your 2nd and a 4th. I don't know if there's anyone the Steelers like enough to do that, but I'd rather go that route than trade up in the 1st.

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking at 17 in a class that has no must have talents, is dense with value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and having a team that needs talent everywhere...Id have to say no way.

And Le-Morte, I agree...aside from Nicks those were all players i wanted to trade up for....also add Michael Oher and Earl Thomas. However, those players excited me those years and we didnt have nearly as many holes on our roster.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
I think I'd be more likely to trade up for a guy in the second. That's where the real value is in this draft, and for most of the picks, it'd only cost you your 2nd and a 4th. I don't know if there's anyone the Steelers like enough to do that, but I'd rather go that route than trade up in the 1st.

Have to agree, I'm more intrigued by the talent in the top of the 2nd as a realistic option.
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree that this is not the best year to move up, especially with the price for moving up in the first. However if Star Lotulelei was still available at 12 I'd move up in front of Tampa Bay to get him. Losing a 3rd and a 5th or maybe even 4th would be bad, but looking at the actual chance the Steelers have at hitting a quality player in those rounds isn't good.

I'd think about moving up for Millinier, but I wouldn't if it was anything more than a 3rd and even then I'm not that thrilled with him. For Star, I'd move up to 12 and if I had to I'd give up my 3rd and 4th though I think we could make the trade with the 3rd and 5th
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

43, yeah I want Earl Thomas pretty bad too but I didn't want to trade up for him. I thought he was going to be available for us with the depth at Safety that year. Nicks.. I just loved his game and was petrified the Steelers were going to stay pat and take Sherrod or Hood... Should've saw that omen coming lol.

And since most of you agree with the assessment of not moving up in first round but possibly second... What players would you target?

If the Steelers traded their 2nd and 4th they could move up to 40 from 48. So not a huge jump but those are the kinda trade ups the steelers make anyway..
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le-Morte-dJames wrote:
43, yeah I want Earl Thomas pretty bad too but I didn't want to trade up for him. I thought he was going to be available for us with the depth at Safety that year. Nicks.. I just loved his game and was petrified the Steelers were going to stay pat and take Sherrod or Hood... Should've saw that omen coming lol.

And since most of you agree with the assessment of not moving up in first round but possibly second... What players would you target?

If the Steelers traded their 2nd and 4th they could move up to 40 from 48. So not a huge jump but those are the kinda trade ups the steelers make anyway..

Depends who we got in the first and who is available in the 2nd.

Hard to make any predictions right now about who would be worth trading up for.

Madden 25 Steelers Franchise
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le-Morte-dJames wrote:

I think they could swing a deal with Arizona, which would put them at 2.6. It would obviously depend on who they took in the first, but I could see one of the receivers who drops, or a guy like Eric Reid if he doesn't go to Baltimore. I might even be okay with Minter or Te'o if they're there at that point.

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it now... There are possibly several when looking at moving up in the 2nd. For the Steelers I could see them moving up for one of the top WR, TE, NT, OLB, ILB, CB or S.

Long list lol, but for me, player wise I would go for Hunter or Hopkins at WR, Eiffert TE, Cyprien S or Rhodes CB. There's alot of players I like in the second and third projections wise atleast. Honestly if I was looking to move up I'd try to move some lower picks to get another 3rd
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd consider trading up in the 2nd for Cyprien, Banks, Minter or Lacy. And possibly a receiver depending on who we get in the 1st.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to want to say 'it depends on whether or not someone huge drops', but I'm going to be completely honest with you, there is only 1 guy I would trade up for and it might surprise you a little.

IF by some act of God Dee Milliner fell out of the Top 10, I would have to consider a trade up for him. But we both know that's not going to happen. I wouldn't trade up for Xaviar Rhodes, I like him but I don't believe he's as good as Milliner.

Having said that, No, I wouldn't trade up, not even for Milliner, we need our picks. We need to hit on at least 7/8's of them, seriously. If anything I'd trade back to get more picks.
jebrick

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Mingo got close I would trade up.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: