Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Best Player Available
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tha Franchise


Joined: 26 Nov 2008
Posts: 1295
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:56 pm    Post subject: Best Player Available Reply with quote

There have been debates running rampant through this forum regarding BPA. Do teams really use this strategy? Does need majorly factor into draft selections? Who determines who the best player available is? Does it work?

Joe Flacco just won the SB and gripped 120 million, yet we rolled with Kitna and Culpepper at QB. We took Cherilus in the draft, and we traded away the chance to draft Brandon Albert and passes on Flacco. Who knew Flacco WAS THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE.

Here is my take. Take the guy who looks like a 5 time Pro Bowler in round 1. Of course if you can't follow that religiously, but pretty close. The Colts can't take Geno Smith in round 1 this year, and the Broncos can pass on Patterson, but for the most part it's a no brainer.

The best way to draft pretty well is to avoid BUSTS at all cost. What kind of production did the Dolphins really expect from Ginn? The Jags from Alualu? Dd anyone see Ponder as the next Manning? Many busts are complete head cases, lack ideal size traits, or are workout warriors who couldn't do it on the field.

Take a look at the projected top 10. Which LBers are built like, run like, and produced like Mayo, Ray Lewis, Urlacher, Patrick Willis, Brian Cushing, etc? None.

What about the DEs. Did anyone measure and test out like Julius Peppers or Mario Williams? Did they have the body of work of the Suggs, Ware, or Chris Long type guys?

RB- do you see and Adrian Peterson?


My point?

DT- Star and Floyd look and feel the part.
S- Kenny Vaccaro looks and feels the part
OT- Fisher and Joexkell
OG- Warmack and Cooper all day
CB- Millner and Rhodes look and feel the part

That is it. Those are my only real top 10 guys with Dion Jordan being there for a 3-4 team. I don't compare Woerner or Ansah well to top level pro players. I don't see Patterson as the next AJ Green, or any Adrian Peterson.

You get a DB and some OL help this year and you are ok in my book
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1046
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Nnivolcm


Joined: 07 Aug 2008
Posts: 7822
Location: Montana
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.


What makes you doubt Greenwood? Did you hear something medical? Or just think after he had to sit out a year he doesn't make the roster?
_________________
George Carlin wrote:
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.


Team Stylish

Thanks to IDOG for the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nnivolcm wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.


What makes you doubt Greenwood? Did you hear something medical? Or just think after he had to sit out a year he doesn't make the roster?
The odds of a guy with his limited skill-set making it is slim to none.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
DrRay11


Joined: 19 Dec 2011
Posts: 3288
Location: Chicago, IL
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
Nnivolcm wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.


What makes you doubt Greenwood? Did you hear something medical? Or just think after he had to sit out a year he doesn't make the roster?
The odds of a guy with his limited skill-set making it is slim to none.


Limited skill set?! Greenwood has elite athleticism and size.

I'm not saying he will make a great football player, but I'm curious as to that call-out (slim to none).

To pre-empt a pointless debate, maybe it comes down to "skill-set" semantics; meaning, perhaps, in your opinion, his lack of having been in proper coaching drills that best his talent makes him unrefined. In my view, maybe it means the ability to develop into that "unlimited" skill set based on what our staff can do with regards to drilling it in.

Obviously, it's hard for either of us to say because we've not seen extensive play. I do look forward to seeing how he pans out, and neither of us having probably seen him much, it's far too early to write him off.

All that garbage having been said, I could see us drafting a CB in the first/second only.

We will not draft a CB if we somehow add a starter in FA.
_________________
Football is love, love is life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20120
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect Greenwood to make the roster; I just don't expect him to do anything other than play special teams for a while. It wouldn't hurt to draft a CB, obviously, but they have five under contract right now, so I'm not sure they'll prioritizing it.
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SuhPLEX


Joined: 03 Jan 2012
Posts: 1046
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.
Bentley wasn't complete trash, he is a 3rd round rookie who performed as a 3rd round rookie would be expected to after being thrust into the starting lineup.

Improved safety play would have certainly made him play better; and while he played poor while he was in, he didn't play a whole season, and again he was a rookie. His best spot is in the slot anyways; he reminds me of a rich mans Alphonso Smith.

Lets not forget if we draft a corner this year then 4/5 of our CB's will be 1st/2nd year players. That doesn't bode well for us.

I would be on board with bringing in a FA veteran presence, but we cannot afford to put more draft resources into one position. It would essentially make one of our young players the "odd man out," and wasting a pick like that is no way to build a franchise.

Lets give our young corners a chance to grow into something before we write them off.
_________________


IDOG_det wrote:
I honestly wouldn't be upset if we draft 3 TE's

TE is the new QB Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuhPLEX wrote:
stylish313 wrote:
SuhPLEX wrote:
I will be surprised if we draft a CB this year. We drafted 3 last year and have Houston
I'd be surprised if Greenwood makes the active roster, and Bentley was complete trash when he played. At this point, I'd say drafting a corner is a necessity.
Bentley wasn't complete trash, he is a 3rd round rookie who performed as a 3rd round rookie would be expected to after being thrust into the starting lineup.

Improved safety play would have certainly made him play better; and while he played poor while he was in, he didn't play a whole season, and again he was a rookie. His best spot is in the slot anyways; he reminds me of a rich mans Alphonso Smith.

Lets not forget if we draft a corner this year then 4/5 of our CB's will be 1st/2nd year players. That doesn't bode well for us.

I would be on board with bringing in a FA veteran presence, but we cannot afford to put more draft resources into one position. It would essentially make one of our young players the "odd man out," and wasting a pick like that is no way to build a franchise.

Lets give our young corners a chance to grow into something before we write them off.
Then you must be against drafting an OT, right? We've got more youth and potential at OT than at corner.

And Bentley did look like trash when he played. I don't care what round you're drafted in, allowing 17 out of 20 passes completed with zero passes defended or intercepted can only be described as garbage. He was essentially a turnstile.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
LionsFTW


Joined: 25 Jan 2010
Posts: 18077
Location: Rock City, Arkansas
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they have no problem taking a UDFA like Aaron Berry and plugging him in the starting unit, than I don't think they are going to find it hard to have Greenwood on the active roster.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stylish313


Joined: 17 Jan 2009
Posts: 15019
Location: Flat Rock, Mi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LionsFTW wrote:
If they have no problem taking a UDFA like Aaron Berry and plugging him in the starting unit, than I don't think they are going to find it hard to have Greenwood on the active roster.
Maybe not, but they sure did seem prefer buying corners 2 for 1 at Meijers last season, rather than give Greenwood a try.

All I'm saying is that I find it hard to grasp how our present situation at corner would stop the Lions from trying to find a legit #1 or #2 option in this years draft.

To me, it'll make sense if they target talent at any of: OT, OG, C, WR, TE, DE, LB, CB, S.
_________________
Oh no, we suck again
- Calvin's out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
IDOG_det


Joined: 02 Mar 2009
Posts: 22979
Location: Ron Paul 2012 #JDI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stylish313 wrote:
LionsFTW wrote:
If they have no problem taking a UDFA like Aaron Berry and plugging him in the starting unit, than I don't think they are going to find it hard to have Greenwood on the active roster.
Maybe not, but they sure did seem prefer buying corners 2 for 1 at Meijers last season, rather than give Greenwood a try.

All I'm saying is that I find it hard to grasp how our present situation at corner would stop the Lions from trying to find a legit #1 or #2 option in this years draft.

To me, it'll make sense if they target talent at any of: OT, OG, C, WR, TE, DE, LB, CB, S.
Greenwood wasn't healthy though. Besides, his time off probably helped him because with all that time off he should have been able to watch many many hours of film. Give him a proper training camp this year and the results could be great.
_________________


R.I.P. Stylish
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
skatebeanz


Joined: 13 Apr 2009
Posts: 19077
Location: Jamison. on the Sweet-sig.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be wrong, however, I don't see Star as an elite player.

BPA is based on your scouting and your board that the GM, coaches and scouting department have filled out.

How good can your scouting be if you can't spell the possible first overall picks name correctly?
_________________

Sig bet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RyanFuller003


Moderator
Joined: 07 Jan 2007
Posts: 20120
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

skatebeanz wrote:
I may be wrong, however, I don't see Star as an elite player.

BPA is based on your scouting and your board that the GM, coaches and scouting department have filled out.

How good can your scouting be if you can't spell the possible first overall picks name correctly?

How good a poster can you be if you can't even spell beans correctly?
_________________

MrDrew wrote:
I may have to find a taxidermist that will make me a koozie out of a squirrel in a kilt now.

Adopt-a-Lion: Don Muhlbach (for three years running!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Louis Friend


Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 8045
Location: Detroit, MI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanFuller003 wrote:
skatebeanz wrote:
I may be wrong, however, I don't see Star as an elite player.

BPA is based on your scouting and your board that the GM, coaches and scouting department have filled out.

How good can your scouting be if you can't spell the possible first overall picks name correctly?

How good a poster can you be if you can't even spell beans correctly?


Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Detroit Lions All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group