Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Depth at Safety is a problem
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Depth at Safety is a problem Reply with quote

So now Will Allen is talking to the Cowboys. Why haven't we resigned this guy yet? He did an admirable job filling in for Troy last year and helped hold the secondary together. Ryan "Personally Foul" Mundy is gone. Who thinks Troy and Clark will both play 16 games this year? Which brings me to my question: What is the plan for backup safety? Golden? Obviously we will draft Safety, but we will need someone to step in in the likely event that Troy is sidelined.

What do you think?
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope they bring back Allen but if not it really pushes for a safety in the first 3 rounds and more likely 1st or 2nd.

The amount of holes and depth issues were facing, this draft better be solid or we are going to be in some trouble
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite being here for three seasons, the coaches never seemed to like Allen. Mundy was always their first choice to go in, and I don't really get it myself. Allen was a competent starter before joining.

They must like Golden, because there's no way Lebeau is counting on a rookie coming in and playing. The third safety plays a lot.
rollins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may be in the minority here but I don't want Will Allen back. I like what I saw from Golden in the preseason and the limited work he got during the season. And I want us to draft a safety in the first 4 rounds in what looks to be the deepest safety draft in years.

I think this is the year we give a lot of our younger players a chance to step up and show us what they can do.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have ideas in the draft, I would say.

I absolutely HATED Ryan Mundy, I'm glad he's gone. We can only get better from him. Then again, I said the same thing about Anthony Smith and Tyrone Carter.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
I may be in the minority here but I don't want Will Allen back. I like what I saw from Golden in the preseason and the limited work he got during the season. And I want us to draft a safety in the first 4 rounds in what looks to be the deepest safety draft in years.

I think this is the year we give a lot of our younger players a chance to step up and show us what they can do.

I'd call you crazy, because he didn't give up any big plays!! He was a very stable force with Polamalu gone. He wouldn't be too expensive either!
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:

Golden is getting vastly overrated.

Until proven otherwise, Allen is better. Golden is just potential who really hasnt shown much to this point. I remember a few years ago, Steeler fans were talking up Damon Cromartie Smith....didnt work out too well. Not saying that will happen here, but Golden even being a quality backup at this point is just wishful thinking.
CKSteeler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clark or Polamalu will miss time next year. You could argue that Ryan Mundy is the guy who cost this team the playoffs...more than any other. Will Allen stabilized the spot and that was when the defense came around.
rollins

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

Until proven otherwise, Allen is better. Golden is just potential who really hasnt shown much to this point. I remember a few years ago, Steeler fans were talking up Damon Cromartie Smith....didnt work out too well. Not saying that will happen here, but Golden even being a quality backup at this point is just wishful thinking.

Here's what I don't understand about people in this forum. Everyone constantly says our team is too old and needs to get younger, yet you don't want to play our young guys. You say someone just has potential but hasn't proven anything, BUT HOW CAN YOU PROVE ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO GET ANY PLAYING TIME???
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

Here's what I don't understand about people in this forum. Everyone constantly says our team is too old and needs to get younger, yet you don't want to play our young guys. You say someone just has potential but hasn't proven anything, BUT HOW CAN YOU PROVE ANYTHING IF YOU DON'T WANT THEM TO GET ANY PLAYING TIME???

Like most teams, the Steelers hold practices. If a guy is showing well enough in practice to make the coaches think he would be an asset in a gametime situation, I gotta believe he would get some playing time.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chieferific wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

Like most teams, the Steelers hold practices. If a guy is showing well enough in practice to make the coaches think he would be an asset in a gametime situation, I gotta believe he would get some playing time.

Ideally this would be the case, but too many times it's not with our team. Our coaches have a habit of sticking with the veterans/incumbent player to a fault even when the younger player deserves more playing time. recent examples: Gay over Lewis, Heyward and McClendon not seeing enough playing time.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

I'll take the liberty of answering this one for the "people." We want to get younger, but more importantly, we want the best player available on the field. The Steelers are not the AAA affiliate Bills or Browns, they play to win, not just to "let the young guys prove themselves." That is what the preseason is for. Playing time has to be earned.
Chieferific

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
Chieferific wrote:
rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

Ideally this would be the case, but too many times it's not with our team. Our coaches have a habit of sticking with the veterans/incumbent player to a fault even when the younger player deserves more playing time. recent examples: Gay over Lewis, Heyward and McClendon not seeing enough playing time.

In your example....Gay was let go and Lewis started. I'm assuming because the coaches saw something that gave them confidence in Lewis. If they let Allen go and Golden doesn't get the job, then he doesn't have what it takes. It's just that easy. As for Heyward, his playing time has picked up and you shouldn't expect him to unseed a former 1st rdr in Ziggy that nor The Beard within 2 years of being drafted. As far as Mcclendon, he gets exactly the right amount of playing time. He's not a full time starter IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
rollins wrote:

Yes...we should just start handing jobs to players that didnt earn it simply because they are young.

No one is saying that Golden shouldnt get the opportunity to compete. What Im saying is that he shouldnt just be handed a job. He has proven absolutely nothing. If Golden can show enough to prove he deserves a chance; then so be it.

We need to get younger, but that doesnt mean you just start blindly giving jobs to younger players.
at23steelers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're saying give it to the young guys if they now surpassed the veteran.

Golden shouldn't be our only backup safety on the roster, especially when the older veteran in Allen is better and cheap. I think 43 and I also agree that even though Worilds is young, signing Harrison wouldn't be a bad thing.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: