You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Depth at Safety is a problem
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:
I hope Golden pans out as well, but until we see him getting extensive playing time, I just don't know if he'll be able to step in this year.

Why are we not kicking the tires on Huff? or Sensabaugh? They are both 30 years old, but they are probably still good for 2-3 seasons while we develop, hopefully, a FS draft pick.

I don't see much in the SS department in FA...maybe Rhodes at age 31? Dawan Landry at age 30? Either would probably be better than W. Allen, but shouldn't command much money.

Maybe the Steelers are just biding their time before they look at some Safety help...maybe that will bring the price down on some of these guys. IDK, but I'd imagine they would bring in at least one veteran FA at the S position.

Dont see the point of bringing in any of them.

Dont get me wrong, they arent bad players, but just like the ILB/Urlacher situation, we need guys that can develop long term.

Golden will get his chance, but they need to bring in some more youth to challenge each other.

Im not against your ideas really, but both our starting Ss are over 30, so bringing in backups over 30s only helps us in the very short term.

I guess my point is that we may be developing Golden, or a draft pick or two for 2-3 years, but do we roll the dice with developmental guys when Troy surely will go out for 3-6 games this year? Clark has been more reliable, thankfully, but he is getting up there in age. I think a guy like Huff or Senssabaugh or Rhodes could at least hold the fort for a season or two while we develop a draft pick and Golden to take over.

Ultimately, the FO may feel comfortable without the safety net (excuse the pun), but as fans, I think a good number of us are concerned after the Mundy experiment!
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to bring Huff in but he isn't going to take backup money and that is all we can offer.

I'm sure they'll bring in a veteran S at some point this offseason even if we go with Vaccaro, Cyrprien or another high rated safety in the draft.

Pains of being a steeler fan with the slow offseason activity, but it normally pays off in the end
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le-Morte-dJames wrote:
I would love to bring Huff in but he isn't going to take backup money and that is all we can offer.

I'm sure they'll bring in a veteran S at some point this offseason even if we go with Vaccaro, Cyrprien or another high rated safety in the draft.

Pains of being a steeler fan with the slow offseason activity, but it normally pays off in the end

Oh, I know our "modus operandi" for FA, and I have no doubt we aren't done in FA. Just when they finally get around to it, if Huff, Sensabaugh, Rhodes or Landry are still looking for work, I'd love to bring one of them in to back up Troy/Clark...they'll get playing time, for sure. But none of them shoudl expect high-value starter money, as none of them, outside of Huff maybe, are starter material, IMO.
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depth at safety has been a problem for this team for a very, very long time. I can't put my finger on the year but it seems like 4 or 5 years ago. Whenever Tyrone Carter left and he wasn't they good anyways but at least he provides some depth.

They need to draft a safety in this draft at some point and hope that Golden keeps developing as a future FS.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
turtle28

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
Le-Morte-dJames wrote:

Oh, I know our "modus operandi" for FA, and I have no doubt we aren't done in FA. Just when they finally get around to it, if Huff, Sensabaugh, Rhodes or Landry are still looking for work, I'd love to bring one of them in to back up Troy/Clark...they'll get playing time, for sure. But none of them shoudl expect high-value starter money, as none of them, outside of Huff maybe, are starter material, IMO.
i definitely could see that happening as well. The thing is that any of those safeties you named could go to other teams and have a shot at a starting position. I know the redskins for one would love to pick one of them up to be their starter next year and I'm sure the ravens or jets would also amongst others like the cowboys.

There is also Abram Elam (matt elam's older brother) kerry Rhodes, Corey Lynch, Jim Leonhard, Carter (cut from Denver) and Eric Smith available. There are a lot of safeties out there looking for work.

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
at23steelers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
We brought back other former Steelers, Chris Hope anyone??

Also, someone like Huff would be decent or Sensabaugh.

First off, Chris Hope is 33....or at least he will be at the start of the season.

Secondly, he is god awful.

He was good here and great his first year in Tennesee, but he went down quickly after that.

But would that be a worse move than bringing back Gay, Spaeth, and David Johnson?? Laughing Laughing

Mine was a joke towards bringing back Hope, but you never know with this FO! Wink
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad to see Allen go. He stuck around more because Damon Cromartie-Smith has not stepped up to his potential. I give Allen credit that he played for more consistent than Ryan Mundy who regressed badly last year.

Golden offers potential, but the team will need to draft a young guy bottom line. Maybe it is draft one guy this year and sign a veteran and then draft someone else in 2014. However it works out, quality depth is needed behind Clark and Polamalu who are both over 30.

I hope that Golden is the man a la Donnie Shell almost 40 years ago.

P.S. Shell deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. It is an injustice that this undrafted F/A who retired with the most INT's of any SS at the time of his retirement (51) is not in Canton. Sorry, I'm having a senior moment. Very Happy
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

First off, Chris Hope is 33....or at least he will be at the start of the season.

He was good here and great his first year in Tennesee, but he went down quickly after that.

But would that be a worse move than bringing back Gay, Spaeth, and David Johnson?? Laughing Laughing

Mine was a joke towards bringing back Hope, but you never know with this FO! Wink

Spaeth-One of the best blocking tight ends in the leauge.

Gay-depth signing and a decent slot corner will probably slide outside with allen sliding inside on third down.

Johnson-be lucky if he makes the team

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
armsteeld

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewadewilson wrote:
at23steelers wrote:
FourThreeMafia wrote:
at23steelers wrote:

Spaeth-One of the best blocking tight ends in the leauge.

Gay-depth signing and a decent slot corner will probably slide outside with allen sliding inside on third down.

Johnson-be lucky if he makes the team

One of best blocking TEs? WTF Shocked Laughing Do you guys actually watch these players play or just read up on scouting reports or listen to those wack analysts? The guy was horrible as a blocker in Steel City and the games I watched while he was in the Windy City, he looked no better. Sorry but the guy is size only and has 0 talent.

"Sheep follow the flock for direction and security but scatter at the sight of the lone wolf". Rocky
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armsteeld wrote:
One of best blocking TEs? WTF Shocked Laughing Do you guys actually watch these players play or just read up on scouting reports or listen to those wack analysts? The guy was horrible as a blocker in Steel City and the games I watched while he was in the Windy City, he looked no better. Sorry but the guy is size only and has 0 talent.

Actually, he was a far better blocker in Chicago than he ever was here...but I dont trust him to keep it up. He was terrible during his time here in every facet of the game.

And at no point was Spaeth ever one of the best blocking TEs in the league, unless you consider top 20 "one of the best". And if anyone says "Pro Football Focus said so", Im just going to laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why Gay would slide outside for Allen to kick inside in the Nickel.

That makes no sense whatsoever
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:

Especially considering Gay hasn't got half the skill Allen does.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add insult to injury, Will Allen signed with the Cowboys and Michael Huff signed with the Ravens.
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyJoeYoung wrote:

When gay played that 3rd corner role when he was here not starting but that spot how did he do?

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thewadewilson wrote:
MightyJoeYoung wrote:

When gay played that 3rd corner role when he was here not starting but that spot how did he do?

Shocked Whatt are you saying?? Is your point he was a decent 3rd CB who played the slot?? Then why would he kick outside?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: