Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign former Panthers LB James Anderson to 1-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10652
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JPeppers90 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
James Brown has to be the most overrated player on the roster by fans who follow the team as closely as we do.


I agree. He has shown very little for there to be such high expectations for him. This is where we set ourselves up for major dissapointment as fans.

I think people are seeing a small school tackle turned guard plus Kromer and just assuming the result is Jahri Evans. Yeah, I'd say that's unrealistic.

If healthy (which is still an unknown to us) I still have pretty high expectations for Carimi if he is put at OG and allowed to stay there. I have said since he was drafted two years so that he'd be a good RG if he didn't work out at RT and I still think that.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9602
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we want our offense to be better we need James Brown and Gabe Carimi to be on the bench.

Neither right now is a starting OG on a playoff team.

I have hope for Brown down the road.

I am done with Carimi although he should get a shot in camp.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10652
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
If we want our offense to be better we need James Brown and Gabe Carimi to be on the bench.

Neither right now is a starting OG on a playoff team.

FWIW Windy you could have said the same thing last offseason about Louis at OG and Webb at OT and both were solid last year. It wouldn't surprise me to never see Carimi at OT again but he should absolutely get a shot to train as a guard. He didn't have any such training before being forced in there last year.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wiscbearsfan


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 6350
Location: WI
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These last couple days have been nice with the signings of Williams and now Anderson. The Bears can actually put a defense on the field. Of course these are nothing more than stop-gap moves though.

I think everyone agrees that there is a good chance the Bears go with a OG and/or C in the first couple rounds of the draft to address that clear need.

Beyond that I think the Bears may use a lot of picks on defense. Cornerback is one of their biggest needs as they need a nickel and they also need to groom replacements for Tillman and/or Jennings. Age is going to start catching up with both guys and they are both under contract only through this season.

Aside from the new LB's on 1 year deals Briggs only has 2 years left and is aging. This is clearly a position of need moving forward.

The defensive line is also in a similar position. Melton is only on a 1 year deal unless they work something out long term. Wooton and Paea are also entering the final year of their current deals as well. Peppers is old and many expect him to be cut after this season given his contract situation. The only guy on defense who is both young and signed for a few more years is Shea.

Lastly Major Wright is entering his final year and Conte has 2 left.

Now its still very possible that Melton and/or Wooton get extensions but beyond that there is still a lot of age and expiring contracts to deal with.

I would put CB and LB near the top of the list in terms of needs but given the overall situation I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went after another DL prospect early.
_________________
Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that.........he is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AZBearsFan


Moderator
Joined: 04 Feb 2006
Posts: 10652
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
These last couple days have been nice with the signings of Williams and now Anderson. The Bears can actually put a defense on the field. Of course these are nothing more than stop-gap moves though.

I think everyone agrees that there is a good chance the Bears go with a OG and/or C in the first couple rounds of the draft to address that clear need.

Beyond that I think the Bears may use a lot of picks on defense. Cornerback is one of their biggest needs as they need a nickel and they also need to groom replacements for Tillman and/or Jennings. Age is going to start catching up with both guys and they are both under contract only through this season.

Aside from the new LB's on 1 year deals Briggs only has 2 years left and is aging. This is clearly a position of need moving forward.

The defensive line is also in a similar position. Melton is only on a 1 year deal unless they work something out long term. Wooton and Paea are also entering the final year of their current deals as well. Peppers is old and many expect him to be cut after this season given his contract situation. The only guy on defense who is both young and signed for a few more years is Shea.

Lastly Major Wright is entering his final year and Conte has 2 left.

Now its still very possible that Melton and/or Wooton get extensions but beyond that there is still a lot of age and expiring contracts to deal with.

I would put CB and LB near the top of the list in terms of needs but given the overall situation I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went after another DL prospect early.

Paea still has 2 years but beyond that you are spot on.
_________________

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9602
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
If we want our offense to be better we need James Brown and Gabe Carimi to be on the bench.

Neither right now is a starting OG on a playoff team.

FWIW Windy you could have said the same thing last offseason about Louis at OG and Webb at OT and both were solid last year. It wouldn't surprise me to never see Carimi at OT again but he should absolutely get a shot to train as a guard. He didn't have any such training before being forced in there last year.


But to the same point our OL really did keep us out of the playoffs.

And it appears both will be replaced at the positions they played last season.
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HuskieBear


Joined: 16 Feb 2009
Posts: 983
Location: nola
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AZBearsFan wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
These last couple days have been nice with the signings of Williams and now Anderson. The Bears can actually put a defense on the field. Of course these are nothing more than stop-gap moves though.

I think everyone agrees that there is a good chance the Bears go with a OG and/or C in the first couple rounds of the draft to address that clear need.

Beyond that I think the Bears may use a lot of picks on defense. Cornerback is one of their biggest needs as they need a nickel and they also need to groom replacements for Tillman and/or Jennings. Age is going to start catching up with both guys and they are both under contract only through this season.

Aside from the new LB's on 1 year deals Briggs only has 2 years left and is aging. This is clearly a position of need moving forward.

The defensive line is also in a similar position. Melton is only on a 1 year deal unless they work something out long term. Wooton and Paea are also entering the final year of their current deals as well. Peppers is old and many expect him to be cut after this season given his contract situation. The only guy on defense who is both young and signed for a few more years is Shea.

Lastly Major Wright is entering his final year and Conte has 2 left.

Now its still very possible that Melton and/or Wooton get extensions but beyond that there is still a lot of age and expiring contracts to deal with.

I would put CB and LB near the top of the list in terms of needs but given the overall situation I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went after another DL prospect early.

Paea still has 2 years but beyond that you are spot on.


Im think wooton did get extended
_________________


Adopt-a-Bear: Isiah Frey |TKL 19 |PD 0 |INT 0 |Sacks 0 |FR 0 |FF 0 |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7846
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
CBears019 wrote:
Great signing. Iirc this guy was really good, just couldn't stay healthy. Briggs-DJ-Anderson could prove to be a very good LB trio.


Just the opposite, he's an average LB, but was our most reliable in terms of injuries in the past 3-4 years, he was the only one in our trio to not miss a game. He's a good posistion player, but do not expect him to take over games or be a huge impact player.
If he can start that will be "impact" enough, we don't have anyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7846
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neo wrote:
Wow. I don't mean about the signing of Anderson, but just the signing of a LB in general. Now it looks like we can pull a real surprise pick, and/or definitely a trade down. With the cost of trading up a lot lower than the past even with the number of picks, do you see Emery trading up to grab a guy like Warmack if he makes to picks 13-17? I mean we might give up 2014 picks instead of given up a lot for this year. Maybe our 1st, 5th, and next year's 2nd for a first to grab Warmack and another 6th rd pick. With our signings it looks like Emery is building good to great depth to grab a Blue Chipper like Warmack. Just speaking theoretically.
No, we cannot afford a trade like that. We have to ADD picks not give them up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7846
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KG1187 wrote:
With this deal plus DJ Williams the Bears might have a better LB core than last year. Lach was a great player and a sure fire Hall of Famer but he was average last season. If the Bears get the DJ Williams before the suspensions there is no reason they shouldn’t be better at LB next year.
Let's not go overboard about a couple of marginal, risky signings.
Welcome aboard time to get your fair share of abuse. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7846
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
These last couple days have been nice with the signings of Williams and now Anderson. The Bears can actually put a defense on the field. Of course these are nothing more than stop-gap moves though.

I think everyone agrees that there is a good chance the Bears go with a OG and/or C in the first couple rounds of the draft to address that clear need.

Beyond that I think the Bears may use a lot of picks on defense. Cornerback is one of their biggest needs as they need a nickel and they also need to groom replacements for Tillman and/or Jennings. Age is going to start catching up with both guys and they are both under contract only through this season.

Aside from the new LB's on 1 year deals Briggs only has 2 years left and is aging. This is clearly a position of need moving forward.

The defensive line is also in a similar position. Melton is only on a 1 year deal unless they work something out long term. Wooton and Paea are also entering the final year of their current deals as well. Peppers is old and many expect him to be cut after this season given his contract situation. The only guy on defense who is both young and signed for a few more years is Shea.

Lastly Major Wright is entering his final year and Conte has 2 left.

Now its still very possible that Melton and/or Wooton get extensions but beyond that there is still a lot of age and expiring contracts to deal with.

I would put CB and LB near the top of the list in terms of needs but given the overall situation I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went after another DL prospect early.
That pretty much nails it. Even without considering the complications with Cutler's contract that are on the horizon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ChicagoAl


Joined: 10 Jan 2008
Posts: 7846
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
If we want our offense to be better we need James Brown and Gabe Carimi to be on the bench.

Neither right now is a starting OG on a playoff team.

FWIW Windy you could have said the same thing last offseason about Louis at OG and Webb at OT and both were solid last year. It wouldn't surprise me to never see Carimi at OT again but he should absolutely get a shot to train as a guard. He didn't have any such training before being forced in there last year.


But to the same point our OL really did keep us out of the playoffs. Not really, our coaching in the Seattle and Minnesota (and GB II to a lesser extent) kept us out of the playoffs. Those losses were inexcusable and I noted at the time how deadly they were. And they cost the staff their jerbs.

And it appears both will be replaced at the positions they played last season.
That is because of the lacks of others and injury not their own play.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wiscbearsfan


Joined: 06 May 2006
Posts: 6350
Location: WI
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HuskieBear wrote:
AZBearsFan wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
These last couple days have been nice with the signings of Williams and now Anderson. The Bears can actually put a defense on the field. Of course these are nothing more than stop-gap moves though.

I think everyone agrees that there is a good chance the Bears go with a OG and/or C in the first couple rounds of the draft to address that clear need.

Beyond that I think the Bears may use a lot of picks on defense. Cornerback is one of their biggest needs as they need a nickel and they also need to groom replacements for Tillman and/or Jennings. Age is going to start catching up with both guys and they are both under contract only through this season.

Aside from the new LB's on 1 year deals Briggs only has 2 years left and is aging. This is clearly a position of need moving forward.

The defensive line is also in a similar position. Melton is only on a 1 year deal unless they work something out long term. Wooton and Paea are also entering the final year of their current deals as well. Peppers is old and many expect him to be cut after this season given his contract situation. The only guy on defense who is both young and signed for a few more years is Shea.

Lastly Major Wright is entering his final year and Conte has 2 left.

Now its still very possible that Melton and/or Wooton get extensions but beyond that there is still a lot of age and expiring contracts to deal with.

I would put CB and LB near the top of the list in terms of needs but given the overall situation I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they went after another DL prospect early.

Paea still has 2 years but beyond that you are spot on.


Im think wooton did get extended


@AZ: yup, you're right. I knew I was going to screw one of those up.

@huskie: they have not signed Wootton to an extension. I think it should be a high priority of theirs. Melton too. That would help keep young talented players around and would lessen the need for DL help. Perhaps they want to see what the draft brings before they commit money.
_________________
Quote:
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist. And like that.........he is gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KG1187


Joined: 16 Jan 2013
Posts: 232
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
KG1187 wrote:
With this deal plus DJ Williams the Bears might have a better LB core than last year. Lach was a great player and a sure fire Hall of Famer but he was average last season. If the Bears get the DJ Williams before the suspensions there is no reason they shouldn’t be better at LB next year.
Let's not go overboard about a couple of marginal, risky signings.
Welcome aboard time to get your fair share of abuse. Wink


No offense taken by any means but I don’t really think it too outlandish. Lach was a shell of his former self last season. If we get the DJ of two years ago it could very well be a upgrade. DJ is still only 30 or 31. It getting up there but it’s still not unthinkable that he could bounce back at that age. Plus he strikes me as a guy who needs a change of scenery.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WindyCity


Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 9602
PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me we need the following from our 5 picks,

-A starting OG.
-A high potential LB.
-A high potential CH.
-A developmental C
-A developmental NT

If we get more

-A developmental DE
-A developmental LB
-A developmental speed WR
_________________
WindyCity "He will start week 1 because while he is raw he is shockingly athletic and can pass block. Long is a bigger risk than Cooper and Warmack, but I think he has just as high a ceiling."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group