Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

The John Dorsey Redemption Mock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: The John Dorsey Redemption Mock Reply with quote

I have been one of the biggest complainers when it comes to the compensation that John Dorsey gave up to acquire quarterback Alex Smith. With this mock draft, in one feel swoop, Dorsey redeems himself with a draft that is very aggressive (but I do feel realistic) and IMO definitely gets this team headed in the right direction not only immediately but also for the long term.

Kansas City Chiefs 2013 Draft Day Trades

The Kansas City Chiefs trade their 2013 first round pick (#1) to the Philadelphia Eagles in exchange for their 2013 first round pick (#4), their 2013 second round pick (#35), and a 2014 third round pick. The Philadelphia Eagles select West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith with pick #1.

The Kansas City Chiefs trade their 2013 first round pick acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles (#4) to the Arizona Cardinals in exchange for their 2013 first round pick (#7) and their 2013 second round pick (#38 ). The Arizona Cardinals draft Texas A&M left tackle Luke Joeckel with pick #4.

The Kansas City Chiefs trade their 2013 second round pick (#35) acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles to the Miami Dolphins in exchange for their 2013 second round pick (#42) and their 2013 third round pick (#77). The Miami Dolphins select Oregon State cornerback Jordan Poyer.

2013 Kansas City Chiefs Mock Draft

First round, Pick #7 (from Arizona Cardinals through Philadelphia Eagles)

Star Lotulelei, DT, Utah Utes (Senior)

Second round, Pick #38 (from Arizona Cardinals)

Jamie Collins, OLB, Southern Mississippi Golden Eagles (Senior)

Second round, Pick #42 (from Miami Dolphins through Philadelphia Eagles)

Markus Wheaton, WR, Oregon State Beavers (Senior)

Third round, Pick #63

Phillip Thomas, SS/FS, Fresno State Bulldogs (Senior)

Third round, Pick #77 (from Miami Dolphins)

Kevin Reddick, ILB, North Carolina Tarheels (Senior)

Third round, Pick #96 (Compensatory Pick)

Alvin Bailey, OG, Arkansas Razorbacks (Junior)

Fourth round, Pick#99

Brennan Williams, RT, North Carolina Tarheels (Senior)

Fifth round, Pick #135

Will Davis, CB, Utah State (Senior)

Sixth round, Pick #170

Dalton Freeman, C, Clemson Tigers (Senior)

Sixth round, Pick #204 (Compensatory Pick)

Lucas Reed, TE, New Mexico Lobos (Senior)

Seventh round, Pick #207

Uzoma Nwachukwu, WR, Texas A&M Aggies (Senior)

Thanks to ryknowssd for the sig!

Trent Baalke for 2013 NFL executive of the year.
ryknowssd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the premise of this mock, I like it a lot. I think it's unrealistic to find that many trade down partners, but I would definitely say it'd "redeem Dorsey", lol.

I like pretty much every pick, but I literally know nothing about Freeman. What can you tell me about him?

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryknowssd wrote:
Based on the premise of this mock, I like it a lot. I think it's unrealistic to find that many trade down partners, but I would definitely say it'd "redeem Dorsey", lol.

I like pretty much every pick, but I literally know nothing about Freeman. What can you tell me about him?

As far as trading goes, you are right it is very aggressive. But I have mentioned in a couple of different threads where I could see some teams looking to move up based on the available talent. In the case of the Eagles, I could see them trading up for Geno Smith and then ultimately trading Nick Foles to a team like the Cleveland Browns for maybe a 3rd round pick. I could see Foles really competing with Brandon Weeden for the Browns.

As far as the Cardinals go, I could see them being interested in jumping up for Luke Joeckel. Detroit is sitting right ahead of them and I wouldn't be shocked if they see pick #4 as a good spot to move up and have their pick of the premier left tackle prospects.

Freeman is an underrated center prospect IMO. The Tiger offensive line never gets much credit for the success of their running attack (and pass blocking for that matter), but they are a very important part of the Clemson offensive attack. Freeman was a combine snub but had an impressive Pro Day workout (3-7-2013) :
Height : 6046
Weight : 291 lbs.
40 yard dash : 4.97
20 yard dash : 2.91
10 yard dash : 1.83
225 lb. bench press reps : 34
Vertical jump : 32
Broad jump : 9'-6"
20 yard shuttle : 4.65
3 cone drill : 7.85

Here is some NFLDraftscout comments about him :
Quote:

03/16/13 - 2013 Clemson Pro Day: Freeman’s numbers in the skills and drills would have turned heads at Indianapolis. Eight centers were there. Two offensive linemen - at any position - were faster in the 40 than his 4.88. His 114-inch standing long jump was third to two tackles. Eight players overall, including three linemen, had more than his 34 reps in the bench press. The best was 38. “It was one of those things I say I was glad I did it (only) once,” Freeman said.

Knowing versatility would also be valuable, at 6-feet-4˝ Freeman is tall enough to be a guard. And, last week he began working on long snaps.

Like several of his former teammates among the dozen who worked out for scouts at Clemson’s new indoor facility, Freeman said he’ll continue to work on his strength and conditioning, possibly visit a few teams for more intimate workouts. One scout said he could see Freeman go undrafted then sign as a free agent and wind up playing in the NFL for 10 years or more. “The hay is in the barn. He’s done all he can do,” Fry said. “He looks good. He’s a perfect weight right now. “He’s been going at it since last July. He needs to find a little bit of rest time.” - Ed McGranahan, The Herald

03/16/13 - 2013 Clemson Pro Day: All-American center Dalton Freeman’s aggravation fueled the motivation to achieve a measure of vindication Wednesday during football Pro Day at Clemson. Snubbed by the NFL Combine, Freeman channeled his anger into a performance superior to every center and most of the guards evaluated at Indianapolis last month. “Obviously, I was a little disappointed,” Freeman said after the workout for representatives from every NFL team except Chicago. “I felt that I deserved to be there,” he said. “I had a great career here, and I think I outperformed most of those guys today. Hopefully, I proved to everybody that I deserve to be in this league.”

Former Tigers center Dustin Fry, a fifth-round pick by St. Louis in 2006 and now a graduate assistant on the Clemson staff, said Freeman “tested off the charts today. It was impressive.” A lackluster week of practice at the Senior Bowl perhaps left a sour impression with scouts, so Freeman prepared with a vengeance. Playing weight had been an issue, but Freeman felt he needed to be lean to survive in Chad Morris’ scheme. Freeman, who is from Pelion, said he hit 295 this week and weighed 291 Wednesday, which Fry said was “perfect.” - Ed McGranahan, The Herald
03/08/13 - 2013 Clemson Pro Day: Two players who weren’t invited to the NFL Combine – All-ACC selections Freeman and Ford – hoped they elevated their prospects Thursday. Freeman has some private workouts scheduled and said he’s “just hoping someone will give me a chance.” That’s all Ford is asking for as well. “I didn’t get invited to the Combine, so Pro Day was big,” Ford said. “And I feel like I had a pretty good day. It’s like a game – when it’s time, you’ve got to go out there and perform. I’ve just got to keep getting bigger, stronger and faster.” - Scott Keepfer, The Greenville News

03/08/13 - 2013 Clemson Pro Day: Freeman is working on his long-snapping ability, which all by itself might earn him a roster spot somewhere, but he also improved every number teams use to form grades on players. He hit 34 reps on his bench press, ran a 4.88 40 – not bad at all for a lineman – chalked a very impressive 9-foot, 6-inch long jump (bad marks there indicate a lack of burst at the snap), and a respectable 32-inch vertical jump. “Feeling really good about it,” Freeman said after the session. “I was a little disappointed in not being invited to Indianapolis, but what I did here was better than most everyone (at his position) in Indy, so I’m pretty happy with that.”

An intelligent player who is also football smart – two traits that don’t always go together – Freeman was considered a little undersized for the position, playing his senior season at 285 pounds, but he said he’s up to 291, with better speed and strength marks.

“There’s questions about when he might get drafted,” said Brad Scott, Freeman’s former line coach at Clemson, “but what I told those (scouts) is, ‘I don’t know where you should draft him, but if he’s on your team, he’ll be in the league for 10 years.’ Guys like him will do what they need to do. Smart guys who are tough can play a long time." Freeman came across like a guy who belongs in the NFL. - Bart Wright, Greenville News
03/07/13 - 2013 Clemson Pro Day: A surprising snub from the combine, center Dalton Freeman looked good at the Tigers' pro day, weighing in at 291 pounds. He performed well in the 40-yard dash (4.88 ), bench press (34), vertical jump (32”), broad jump (9'6”), 3-cone drill (7.60) and short shuttle (4.50). - Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com

ryknowssd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. Based on his build, I didn't think he'd post a 40 time under 5 seconds. That's surprising to me. With a better conditioning program, he could be a real find. Solid developmental prospect at worst, based on what you posted.

bigschmadt00 wrote:
Oooohhhh YEAHH!!! WOO PIG SOOIE!
Flexx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I think the trade to Philly is possible but after that I think the Chiefs will not pass on Joeckel again and stay at 4 and take him. I'm not sure the Eagles will give up a 2nd to move up 4 spots. A 3rd and a future would be more likely. Other than that, like the draft.
TheRedSea

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes this is an aggressive mock for sure even though its one that many chiefs fan's would love I don't see Reid passing on a OT in the first. Possible sliding to 8 and taking lane Johnson at worst. He would be versatile enough to play both tackle spots and has the.best feet in the draft. Sliding that far could net kc a few pics this yr and next.
DT58_lives_on

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pshhhh, Nic I think you could have worked a couple more trade backs in there!

Seriously though, no clue how anyone can knock this draft, creative and fun, and certainly outside the box. Wish the draft game would let you trade the 1st overall pick, it'd be more exciting.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DT58_lives_on wrote:
pshhhh, Nic I think you could have worked a couple more trade backs in there!

Seriously though, no clue how anyone can knock this draft, creative and fun, and certainly outside the box. Wish the draft game would let you trade the 1st overall pick, it'd be more exciting.

Yeah,
I like the site, but that was my biggest gripe. It is awesome being the 49ers with a boatload of picks. In one of my drafts I set them up for years! I sent an email to the site asking about trade offers for the #1 pick when playing as the Chiefs.

bigschmadt00

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been trying to figure out a way we could get all of our holes and depth concerns addressed in this draft. Apparently I only needed to conjure up a couple of trade backs in the first.

Honestly, it seems unrealistic, but the Rams last year, and others before have demonstrated that if you are motivated to move back, you can several times and acquire picks. Just don't get too hung up on the chart, and get fair value, and you can make it happen.

The only trade that seems unrealistic was the 2nd round one from the Dolphins. They give up a 3rd rounder to move up 7 spots at the top of the second. That seems pretty rich. I could see like a 4th and a 6th or something like that.

And I was wondering how long before Jaime Collins made an appearance. He's gone from unheard of to Mayock's #2 3-4 OLB. He's kind of this year's Poe, being the biggest riser from a big time combine performance.

^ryknowssd on the sig
samsel23

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:
I've been trying to figure out a way we could get all of our holes and depth concerns addressed in this draft. Apparently I only needed to conjure up a couple of trade backs in the first.

Honestly, it seems unrealistic, but the Rams last year, and others before have demonstrated that if you are motivated to move back, you can several times and acquire picks. Just don't get too hung up on the chart, and get fair value, and you can make it happen.

The only trade that seems unrealistic was the 2nd round one from the Dolphins. They give up a 3rd rounder to move up 7 spots at the top of the second. That seems pretty rich. I could see like a 4th and a 6th or something like that.

And I was wondering how long before Jaime Collins made an appearance. He's gone from unheard of to Mayock's #2 3-4 OLB. He's kind of this year's Poe, being the biggest riser from a big time combine performance.

Nic's been on Collins for a long while. Just has to keep moving him up a round every mock
Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsel23 wrote:
bigschmadt00 wrote:

Nic's been on Collins for a long while. Just has to keep moving him up a round every mock
Laughing

Fo shizzle. Honestly, I think there is a very real shot he goes in the first round. In this mock he is the projected eventual replacement for Hali.

nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigschmadt00 wrote:

Yeah, trading back takes two to tango and it also takes the right players available at the right draft pick slots to get a team to move up. In each scenario I project the hypothetical targets. I talked alot in some of the other threads so I didn't want to be redundant. IMO we have put ourselves in a hole as far as the draft goes by not having a second round pick - huge value. We probably are getting less value in moving from #1 to #4 than in most years, but in this case, I think the compensation is fair all things considered.

I didn't say anything about the Miami trade, but I project them to be on the lookout for a premium cornerback prospect that slides further than expected. I could see a player like Jordan Poyer being a target just outside of round 1.

Mongo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can never forecast a specific team “falling in love” with a particular player. Happens all of the time. Otherwise I call pooh on the trades to AZ and MIA. Even if DET selects Joeckel, AZ can fall back on Fisher or, at worst Johnson. Is Joker worth Fisher and an R2? I say no.

Same holds true for MIA. Is Poyer worth another R2 corner plus an R3? I don’t think so.

Mock drafts are by nature highly speculative. Ones with trades even more so. But mocks without trades are dull, uninventive, and unrealistic. Kudos for giving it a shot, even though I suspect you’re doing so from a “wish for” perspective. We’d all love the Chiefs to not only recoup their lost R2, but gain more R2-3 picks in what really is the strength of this draft – its depth in absence of a true superstar prospect.
nicfre2011

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mongo wrote:
You can never forecast a specific team “falling in love” with a particular player. Happens all of the time. Otherwise I call pooh on the trades to AZ and MIA. Even if DET selects Joeckel, AZ can fall back on Fisher or, at worst Johnson. Is Joker worth Fisher and an R2? I say no.

Same holds true for MIA. Is Poyer worth another R2 corner plus an R3? I don’t think so.

Mock drafts are by nature highly speculative. Ones with trades even more so. But mocks without trades are dull, uninventive, and unrealistic. Kudos for giving it a shot, even though I suspect you’re doing so from a “wish for” perspective. We’d all love the Chiefs to not only recoup their lost R2, but gain more R2-3 picks in what really is the strength of this draft – its depth in absence of a true superstar prospect.

Loyd,
I can assure you I am not attempting to be prophetic in my mock draft. I do think that many teams have players that they target whether in round 1 or in later rounds that they feel strongly about. Kaepernick is just one example. I try to include some insight into why I made a trade although admittedly it is all mere speculation.

odendin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.arrowheadpride.com/2013/3/29/4161552/2013-nfl-draft-kansas-city-chiefs-clemson-football-dalton-freeman

You see your boy Dalton was in KC, nic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Kansas City Chiefs All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: