Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

KG's Offseason #2 - Turning Weaknesses into Strengths

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: KG's Offseason #2 - Turning Weaknesses into Strengths Reply with quote

My second installment of three offseason mocks I'll be doing. Please provide your thoughts...

Key Resigns:

DE William Hayes

SS Darian Stewart

Key FA Signs:

LT Jake Long

- A true “franchise” type LT. He was cleared medically by our docs after an extensive physical. As long as he can stay healthy, he can easily return to an elite level for several more seasons.

TE Jared Cook

- A dynamic athlete who’ll be a nightmare matchup for opponents. He was mis-utilized in Tennessee. He’ll spend most of his time in the slot, or being moved around similar to Aaron Hernandez.

2013 Draft:

1. WR Tavon Austin (5’9 / 175) – West Virginia

- The dynamic, playmaking option we’ve been craving for so long. He’s a homerun threat every time he touches it. He’ll be lined up all over and will be a weapon we need in the return game as well…

1. WR Keenan Allen (6’2 / 207) – California

- Snead likes to turn positions of weakness into strengths. We grab another immensely talented WR option. He’s quick and clean out of his breaks, very good hands, not afraid to work the middle and can go up and get it as well. We’ll now have one of the most talent laden WR corps in the league…

2. SS Jonathan Cyprien (6’0 / 213) – Florida International

- One of the best safety prospects in this draft. He offers the hard hitting and aggressive style you’d want out of your SS, but is also versatile and athletic enough to cover along with pretty good ball skills. He didn’t face the level of competition you’d like and he might take some time to adapt, which ultimately I feel pushes him to the 2nd round…

TRADE: STL sends 2013 3rd round to MIA for FS Chris Clemons

- Miami re-signed him to a 1 year deal. They like him, but it seems they want more a play-making FS to pair with their superb SS Reshad Jones. We gladly give up a pick to acquire a talented and ascending player, who is very good in coverage on the back half.

4. RT Brennan Williams (6’6 / 318) – North Carolina

- He has the talent to be a 2nd round selection, but injuries and some inconsistency in his technique have hampered his stock. He has the tools you’d want from a starting NFL RT. He just needs to stay healthy and be coached up correctly. Could be a huge steal looking back…

5. CB Will Davis (6’0 / 185) – Utah St.

- We need to get more size on the outside (Tru Johnson is the only other CB bigger than 5’10). Davis is a taller, lean, athletic corner who runs well and shows a knack for coverage. He’s a good leaper who can contest bigger WR’s for high point balls. He needs refinement in his technique and will need some time coming from a small program. He has the talent to develop into an impact starter though down the road…

6. OG Hugh Thornton (6’3 / 322) – Illinois

- One of the more underrated prospects in this draft. He’s very stout and anchors well. He’ll provide us with another powerful guard who is a road grater in the run game, isn’t afraid to mix it up and has the athleticism to get blocks at the 2nd level and beyond…

7. FB Kyle Juszczyk (6’1 / 250) – Harvard

- The young RB’s are gonna need a good lead blocker. He shows the ability to drive and clear out the hole, while also being abe to catch the ball out of the backfield…

2013 Depth Chart (Key Players):

Offense

QB: Sam Bradford
RB: Isaiah Pead / Daryl Richardson
FB: Kyle Jusczcyk
TE: Lance Kendricks
WR1: Brian Quick / Keenan Allen
WR2: Chris Givens / Austin Pettis
SLOT: Jared Cook / Tavon Austin
LT: Jake Long
LG: Rok Watkins / Hugh Thornton
C: Scott Wells
RG: Harvey Dahl
RT: Rodger Saffold / Brennan Williams

Defense

LDE: Robert Quinn / Eugene Sims
NT: Mike Brockers
UT: Kendall Langford / Jermelle Cudjo
RDE: Chris Long / William Hayes
OLB: JoLonn Dunbar
MLB: James Laurinaitis
CB1: Janoris Jenkins
CB2: Trumaine Johnson / Will Davis
SLOT: Courtland Finnegan / Rodney McLeod
FS: Chris Clemons
SS: Darian Stewart / Jonathan Cyprien

Special Teams:

K: Greg Zuerlein
P: Johnny Hekker
KR: Tavon Austin
PR: Tavon Austin

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!

Last edited by kgarrett12486 on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DEE RAWL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love this.

1. Jadeveon Clowney
2. Sammy Watkins
3. Greg Robinson
Wr80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly this would be huge. I would love watching our offense after this draft.
Jonezy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it.

^Delphi83^ (Sig)
<El Ramster.< (Avatar)
[quote="norcalraider510"]
Rams front 4 is going to be amazing next year[/quote]
Hoj398

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be amazing
Flatlyner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'd be terribly upset with it, but, I do think 2 WR's in the first is overkill that is not needed. I assume they sign at least one vet WR this offseason (cheaply), then draft one relatively highly (hopefully Austin).

This offseason also leaves us with a glaring hole at OLB and no real improvement on the interior OLine. Maybe Rok is that guy, I'd like to think so, but its hard to know with him having played, what, one game?

St.Louis Rams D-Coordinator FFMD
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:
Can't say I'd be terribly upset with it, but, I do think 2 WR's in the first is overkill that is not needed. I assume they sign at least one vet WR this offseason (cheaply), then draft one relatively highly (hopefully Austin).

Fair enough, I can see why some might see it as overkill to take both Austin and Allen. The way we'd be able to move Cook and Austin around though, I don't see it as overkill. I don't see them bringing in a veteran WR that is gonna be anything more than a depth filler for the amount we're thinking...

Quote:
This offseason also leaves us with a glaring hole at OLB and no real improvement on the interior OLine. Maybe Rok is that guy, I'd like to think so, but its hard to know with him having played, what, one game?

Nah, we have the starter at OLB in Dunbar who showed what he can do in this system. Our base defense is essentially a 4-2-5. We are in a nickel look more often than not. I don't see us spending a significant pick on an OLB unless we're planning on not trying to retain Dunbar. I think this is where we could see them bring in a cheap, veteran WIL/coverage type OLB, or spend a later round pick on one. More of a situation/role player to fill certain packages...

Also, I think Thornton could be exactly like Rok. He is vastly underrated. He has the ability to be a starter early on, especially at OG. This would be one of the better O-Line's as a whole we've seen in the last 3-5 years...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
Rams4eva92

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flatlyner wrote:

No mock is going to fill every need dude!! This is one of the best mocks I have seen. Next offseason we can fill the other needs. We address the safety position and get a ton of weapons for Bradford. I love it! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it, but why not just draft Rambo in the 3rd instead of trading for a guy with only 1 year on his contract who'll cost a lot more money??
StLunatic88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those of you who are expecting multiple weapons early are likely going to be disappointed. I guess you all have already given up on Quick, Givens, & Kendricks...? Jared Cook isnt the only weapon on this team, and we are still going to be using the run game too guys, we arent the Packers, Saints or Falcons.
holt_bruce81

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:
Those of you who are expecting multiple weapons early are likely going to be disappointed. I guess you all have already given up on Quick, Givens, & Kendricks...? Jared Cook isnt the only weapon on this team, and we are still going to be using the run game too guys, we arent the Packers, Saints or Falcons.

Yeah but mock drafts are usually what that person would do, not what he thinks the team will do. I would love to get Sam two explosive weapons in the first to go along with Cook, Quick and Givens.
Wr80

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:

No one is giving up on them. Having the ability to swap weapons in and out would work. But I do agree, we just need another WR weapon and we should be fine. I want us to having a solid running game as well.
NVRamsFan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wr80 wrote:
StLunatic88 wrote:

No one is giving up on them. Having the ability to swap weapons in and out would work. But I do agree, we just need another WR weapon and we should be fine. I want us to having a solid running game as well.

Which will likely be addressed with a solid OG in the first couple rounds. I think Fisher really wants Pead to take the rains and be the feature back.

Sig courtesy of SJax39

Adopt a Ram
Sam Bradford
159-262 1687 yards 14 TD 4 INT
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdhommert wrote:
I like it, but why not just draft Rambo in the 3rd instead of trading for a guy with only 1 year on his contract who'll cost a lot more money??

I'll take the proven commodity in Clemons. He still very young and has only been getting better...

I'd rather lock-up a young, ascending talent that has shown the ability to be very successful player (even if it costs more) than just hope Rambo would pan out...

Just my opinion though...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!
kgarrett12486

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StLunatic88 wrote:

Not sure how taking potentially the best player on the board at #22 would be giving up on Quick/Givens/Kendricks...

Not sure how you drew that conclusion from my mock, especially since I have all of them listed as the primary starters at their position on my depth chart...

TommyC376 on the sig...
LGB-Let's Go Blues!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> St. Louis Rams All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: