Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Steelers motivation?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
1STEELERFAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Steelers motivation? Reply with quote

Did the Steelers show interest in Jake Long and Elvis Dummervil to use as motivation for Marcus Gilbert and Jason Worilds or ? The report is Elvis just wants to be wanted and it is not about the money Smile and they said the Steelers moved to late to get Jake Long. Why are we not hearing the Steelers in the Dummervil picture any more and doesnt seem like the Steelers to be late. This is just a thought what does the Diehards think?
turtle28

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$ = the steelers have none

"God made certain people to play football... Sean was one" JG
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt they ever seriously thought they could land either.

Its like going to buy a car, looking at something really flashy, hoping that its somehow within your price range, and then walk away crying when you see the actual price.
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Player being "wanted" means whatever team that is willing to pay the most "wants" him the most... Denver obviously wanted him pretty bad and he screwed that up and now will most likely lose money
JDLefebvre

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
I doubt they ever seriously thought they could land either.

Its like going to buy a car, looking at something really flashy, hoping that its somehow within your price range, and then walk away crying when you see the actual price.

Yep!

thanks El ramster

KCCO!!!
oderint dum metuant
MightyJoeYoung

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just a case of doing due diligence I imagine.

Couple of good pass rushers on the back end of their careers that may come at a discounted price. If they don't, they move on with nothing lost.

Thanks to Joe_is_the_best for the sig

"The King Stay the King"
kysteeler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't put too much stock in the "interest" reports as this time of the year many agents just put stuff out their.
3rivers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Steelers motivation? Reply with quote

1STEELERFAN wrote:
Did the Steelers show interest in Jake Long and Elvis Dummervil to use as motivation for Marcus Gilbert and Jason Worilds or ? The report is Elvis just wants to be wanted and it is not about the money Smile and they said the Steelers moved to late to get Jake Long. Why are we not hearing the Steelers in the Dummervil picture any more and doesnt seem like the Steelers to be late. This is just a thought what does the Diehards think?

If the players need motivation, they should be gone. If the FO thinks this will motivate, they should be gone as well Laughing . If a team wants to acquire a player in UFA, they will . Steelers didn't, simple as that.
The Curtain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I don't think any player needs that kind of motivation. They were just testing the FA waters, there doesn't have to be a hidden message behind it. If we were that unhappy with players, those players would be on the bench. Or those players would be Rashard Mendenhall or Willie Colon.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steelers motivation? Reply with quote

1STEELERFAN wrote:
Did the Steelers show interest in Jake Long and Elvis Dummervil to use as motivation for Marcus Gilbert and Jason Worilds or ?

From a business standpoint it is wise to bring in additional talent. The worst thing that Long and Dumervil can so is, "No thanks." From a human standpoint, yes it can be motivation. "They are looking at pro bowl plaers at my position, I want to show them I can play at that level." Nothing said, but message received.

The report is Elvis just wants to be wanted and it is not about the money Smile and they said the Steelers moved to late to get Jake Long.

The Steelers are a first class organization and that would appeal to most players who want a decent organization, chance to win a championship and get paid.

I think they Steelers sent a "feeler" to Long saying, "Hey, we can't give you what you're worth this year, can we sign a cap friendly deal and then hook you up next year." Again, worst he can say is "No, I'm not taking that chance." They basically did that with Woodley. The team had more leverage with Woodley already being a Steeler and trusting the leadership. Smart move by the Steelers to try.

Why are we not hearing the Steelers in the Dummervil picture any more and doesnt seem like the Steelers to be late. This is just a thought what does the Diehards think?

Probably because it is more about $$$ than we may think. This is a players living and lifestyle, so while they may take less, they are not going to play for free or too far under their value.

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: