Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Theoretical question for fans of the Jags:
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Theoretical question for fans of the Jags: Reply with quote

Hey, guys. here's the question:
Now, I know there's a bunch of y'all that are fans of the idea of drafting a cornerback and/or quarterback with at least one of your first two picks; that being #2 and #33. Lots of needs for your team, but I'm thinking by finishing dead last in the N.F.L. in sacks, some pass-rushers might trump most.
SO.... if the first two picks for you guys were to wind up being D-linemen, how do these scenarios sound to you?

#02. Sharrif Floyd
#33. Margus Hunt

OR....

#02. Star Lotuleilei
#33. Datone Jones

OR........

#2. Ezekiel Ansah
#33. Kawaan Short

Which of these three, or any combination of players mentioned here sounds best? Trying to piece together the most challenging mock draft of my lifetime, up to this point.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Star and Datone makes the most sense, but Star at NT and Datone would play 5T essentially...if you were wanting to give us an edge rusher, someone like a Mingo, Jordan, and Collins, are all perfect scheme fits.

#JDI
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Star and Datone makes the most sense, but Star at NT and Datone would play 5T essentially...if you were wanting to give us an edge rusher, someone like a Mingo, Jordan, and Collins, are all perfect scheme fits.

Disagree. Jones would be a strongside end in a 4-3 scheme primarily, with the ability to move inside in certain situations.
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

Disagree. Jones would be a strongside end in a 4-3 scheme primarily, with the ability to move inside in certain situations.

Awesome, and in the Under Scheme he'd play the Tyson Alualu role, 5T and then bump inside. [essentially we are saying the same thing]

#JDI
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

Awesome, and in the Under Scheme he'd play the Tyson Alualu role, 5T and then bump inside. [essentially we are saying the same thing]

Well, maybe not. A 5T indicates more of an interior D-line position in a 3-4 scheme, while a strongside 4-3 end is an outside player, with run-containment and outside pass-rushing responsibilities. Unless I'm missing something?
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Floyd and Hunt would be interesting, although I'd rather take Dion at two instead of two guys who will play a similar position here.

With the right grooming, Hunt has the ability to be the best defensive lineman in the game.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
Its A Sabotage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

Well, maybe not. A 5T indicates more of an interior D-line position in a 3-4 scheme, while a strongside 4-3 end is an outside player, with run-containment and outside pass-rushing responsibilities. Unless I'm missing something?

In the under-scheme, it is a DT/DE that plays like a 5T where they are asked to gap control and keep plays in front/towards the sideline, along with this, there are 2 large bodied run stopping DTs to gap and keep the run either in the backfield or force them to bounce to the sideline....Now, Tyson plays that 5T role on the outside, and in 34 looks goes to DE [where Jones would play]. So in a way we are both explaining the same thing.

#JDI
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its A Sabotage wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:
Suffering_Bills wrote:
Its A Sabotage wrote:

In the under-scheme, it is a DT/DE that plays like a 5T where they are asked to gap control and keep plays in front/towards the sideline, along with this, there are 2 large bodied run stopping DTs to gap and keep the run either in the backfield or force them to bounce to the sideline....Now, Tyson plays that 5T role on the outside, and in 34 looks goes to DE [where Jones would play]. So in a way we are both explaining the same thing.

Okay. Thanks for clarifying.
Suffering_Bills

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Floyd and Hunt would be interesting, although I'd rather take Dion at two instead of two guys who will play a similar position here.

With the right grooming, Hunt has the ability to be the best defensive lineman in the game.

So are you saying you'd like the idea of drafting both Jordan AND Hunt, with your first two picks?
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

So are you saying you'd like the idea of drafting both Jordan AND Hunt, with your first two picks?

Although we need to go with defensive backs at some point, I'd definitely be happy adding two potential elite players to the front seven.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
MightyRx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3rd scenario looks the best to me.
A pass rusher and a DT.
sadjag

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather be disappointed if we went D-line in the first two rounds. Miller and Tyson will fit the 1-gap and 5-tech roles nicely. Obviously our pass rush needs talent but lets not forget that we have a veteran pro-bowler in Babin and a young Talent in Branch both of these guys should have better performances in this new scheme that fits their talents better.

Not too say we shouldn't invest a high pick into the LEO spot, I am saying that there are Much bigger needs on this team primarily in the secondary and O-line.

Also who plays the 3-tech?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second scenario with Star and Datone Jones looks the best to me, by quite a bit.

#2 is way too early for Ansah imo. And i'm still not a huge fan of Hunt at #33.

Star (if healthy) is a legitimate potential #2 overall talent, and Datone Jones is a legitimate 1st round talent as well. To grab those two, would be pretty solid.

Like others, i'm not hugely keen on going D-Line with the first 2 picks, but if those were the guys...i wouldn't be upset.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering_Bills wrote:
MoJo122-b-21 wrote:

I'd rather have Jones than Hunt, Jones seems more established

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

purely based upon getting the best talent, I would say Star and Jones. However, I would probably take Ansah/Short because Ansah could probably be a very dynamic edge rusher from the LEO spot, and Short's game right now is well suited to be a NT/1-tech

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: