Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

New York's Team Needs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: New York's Team Needs Reply with quote

Free agency is still under way but as it stands this is where I see the needs of the Giants.

Running back - I like Brown and Wilson, think they'll make a good one two punch but the Giants could benefit from drafting another talent in the later rounds 5 -7.

Defensive End - Giants have some pretty talented players at the position. I even like the depth with some of the young guys like Adewale Ojomo, Adrian Tracy and Justin Trattou but this is a position that makes the Giants who they are. Can't go wrong with drafting the future Strahan.

Linebacker - To me, this is the teams biggest hole and has been for years. Hard to argue Reese's style with the position. He's got two rings from his system. Nonetheless I'd like to see a top rated prospect at this position get drafted.

Corner - Giants bring back Ross, they need help. Not that Ross is a bad player. I think he actually played OK for the Giants. Thing is Webster isn't getting any better, he's lost some speed and it showed last season. Thomas one of my favorites a couple years back. Talented corner that has been plagued with injuries, not sure if he'll ever return to form. Like Hosley and believe he's got upside. Early second / third round pick would be a good place to find the next Webster.

Safety - Love that Stevie Brown signed and I expect the Giants to work out a long term deal soon to prevent him from hitting the market next season. Will Hill showed some flash. Ryan Mundy adds depth but I don't see the future after Rolle on this roster. Would benefit by drafting a safety this year to start the grooming process. Rolle is making a killing this season at 7 million and another next season. Don't see them holding onto him another season. Just opinion but for what I see out there Giants are over paying him.

Offensive Guard - Huge 300 lb hole here. I keep hearing the Boothe earmarked money and working on a new deal but I haven't seen it. Giants could move David to Guard and start Brewer or draft someone early to play the position or draft guard and keep David where he is. The good thing about the Giants is their lineman are versatile.
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In defense of Corey Webster, he had a very serious hamstring injury along with his broken hand which could explain his play this year.

I agree we need a safety buts it not as big a need as MLB
and RT. I dont have a problem with our interior its that right side.

We need a CB because at least one will get injured this year whether it pre season or during the season. I think Prince is ready to play that Prince Island role. He was very good last year and not to mention Fewell used him incorrectly.

IMO we finally need a MLB that can stay in on all 3 downs.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So maybe something like this...
1) Tank Carradine DE
2) Arthur Brown ILB
3) Barrett Jones OL
4) Bennie Logan DT
5) Sheldon Price CB/S
6) Marquess Wilson WR
7) Lucas Reed TE
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
In defense of Corey Webster, he had a very serious hamstring injury along with his broken hand which could explain his play this year.

We need a CB because at least one will get injured this year whether it pre season or during the season. I think Prince is ready to play that Prince Island role. He was very good last year and not to mention Fewell used him incorrectly.

What position on the line do you see David playing?
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
1) Tank Carradine DE
2) Arthur Brown ILB
3) Barrett Jones OL
4) Bennie Logan DT
5) Sheldon Price CB/S
6) Marquess Wilson WR
7) Lucas Reed TE

Isn't Barrett Jones a center. Can he play the guard?
reckless123

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

David Diehl? Preferably On a line out of NY.

"I'm not in the danger, I AM the DANGER" - Heisenberg
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reckless123 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:
reckless123 wrote:

David Diehl? Preferably On a line out of NY.

lol...I agree. I think he's past his prime. However I don't see Reese making him a June 1st cut.
Gmen1985

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodaraw wrote:
1) Tank Carradine DE
2) Arthur Brown ILB
3) Barrett Jones OL
4) Bennie Logan DT
5) Sheldon Price CB/S
6) Marquess Wilson WR
7) Lucas Reed TE

If this was our draft, I'd be very, very happy.

Thanks to Rase for the sig!
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:

Ya, he can play all 3 interior OL positions, he even played OT at Bama, but he wouldn't in the NFL.

Also, that would be an awesome draft, only another WR then Wilson. At least our locker room might keep him in line.
fracdaddy14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Updated Thoughts...

QB- Eli and Carr Return. Just a developmental UDFA to be a future backup.

RB- An Wind to go with Fire (Wilson) and Earth (Brown). A Day 3 Pick seems likely.

WR- The Cruz Crisis seems to have died down, at least for this year. Maybe Eli restructures for a long-term deal for Cruz and something for Nicks. Nicks and Randle return for a good top 3. Another vet or two unless with some UDFAs for the last couple spots. Murphy is worth a look, especially if he can be the primary PR, but I'd like to see Hixon back too. I like Kevin Walter or another as a depth WR competition later in FA. A UDFA with KR/PR would be nice.

TE- JPP of TE and Myers will be the top TEs, but the Giants could draft one day 3. I've seen a few names mentioned as the TE Pope loves, but another name I thought of is Gavin Escobar, San Diego St. I think a more polished guy like Dion Sims could be drafted too.

OL- Resigning Boothe and getting rid of the turnstile David Diehl is key. I have two OL listed, 1 C/G type, 1 OT type, but if Boothe resigns, the priority might be reversed. Brewer will get a chance at OT, but he hasn't proven anything yet to be counted on. A vet like Barry Richardson would be good competition. Mosley is back from injury to compete for a future OG spot. Boothe, if resigned, could move to C next year to replace Baas.

DL- Our starters, Joseph, Jenkins, JPP, and Tuck look great on paper, but Tuck and Jenkins can be looked at for future replacements and current rotational players. A DT in the draft is definitely possible depending how the draft falls. DE is a popular mock to us in Round 1, like Werner or Tank, and it makes sense with our needs AND draft philosophy. The backup DTs, Rogers, Kuhn, and Austin, aren't proven. Austin and Kuhn could get another look, but brining in a cheap veteran later might be smart. Possibly Shaun Cody, Corey Williams, Matt Toeiana or Spencer Johnson.

LB- Dan Connor and Keith Rivers were signed to minumum deals and offer depth. JWill, Paysinger, and Herzalich are back and will get more chances for time. JWill could make an impact. Kiwi can't be allowed to be a LB again. He is terrible at LB anymore and would be much better in the DE rotation. Another 2-3 FAs and 1-2 Draft Picks (Rounds 2-4) are likely. I like Hodges in the draft. Karlos Dansby, Darryl Smith, and Nick Barnett offer versality and enough skills to be on the field all 3 Downs. Chase will likely resign for vet minimum as a good backup and ST.

S- Webster restructured and will return and likely start with Prince, Rolle, and Stevie Brown. Will Hill could get groomed behind Rolle for another year. TT is moving to Safety and will get a chance, but his injury history makes him unreliable. Mundy and Sash are backup/ST types and may compete for 1 spot. Another vet that could start like Kerry Rhodes, Michael Huff, and Gerald Sensbaugh and/or a Day 3 pick are very possible.

CB- Prince and Webster are ticketed to start with Hosley to play the nickle. With the insane number of CB injuries the last couple of years, depth is badly needed. Aaron Ross is resigned and it makes sense because of his familuarity with the system. Another vet is possible too. I expect and Day 1-2 pick to be used on a CB to eventually pair on the outside with Prince.

ST- The current group is set, but competition could be brought in at K.

FREE AGENTS I'D HOPE TO SEE IN GIANT BLUE

WR- Domenik Hixon (Resign)
WR- Kevin Walter
OL- Kevin Boothe (Resign)
OL- Barry Richardson
DT- Shaun Cody, Corey Williams, Spencer Johnson, Matt Toeainia
LB- Karlos Dansby, Darryl Smith, Nick Barnett
LB- Chase Blackburn (Resign)
S- Kerry Rhodes, Michael Huff, Gerald Sensbaugh, Corey Lynch
CB- Elbert Mack, Sheldon Brown, Joselio Hanson, Kelvin Hayden

NFL DRAFT

Round 1
Bjoern Werner- DE- Florida St

Round 2
Larry Warford- OG- Kentucky

Round 3
Logan Ryan- CB- Rutgers

Round 4
Gerald Hodges- LB- Penn St

Round 5
Dion Sims- TE- Michigan St

Round 6
Ricky Wagner- OT- Wisconsin

Round 7
Theo Riddick- RB- Notre Dame

Round 7 (Compensatory)
Bradley McDougald- S- Kansas

Considering the Giants considerable cap limitations, I think the FO has done a good job. Beatty was a priority FA was re-upped before the open market. Brandon Myers is a good catcher at a low price who will be helped by Pope's tutoring. The rest were signed at vet minimum contracts and could turn out to be solid contributers. I'd give the FO a B so far considering everything. No big issues yet. Hope for some more good signings and great draft.
Kodaraw

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
ny92jefferis wrote:

Ya, he can play all 3 interior OL positions, he even played OT at Bama, but he wouldn't in the NFL.

Also, that would be an awesome draft, only another WR then Wilson. At least our locker room might keep him in line.

I think Wilson could be solid. Worth the gamble. IMO. And jones would probably play guard. But he is versatile. Which is always nice.

With our Comp pick I would not hesitate to take Ray Ray. He was considered a first round pick at one point but didnt play last year.
Vulcan_Prime

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
My Updated Thoughts...

RB- An Wind to go with Fire (Wilson) and Earth (Brown). A Day 3 Pick seems likely.

WR- The Cruz Crisis seems to have died down, at least for this year. Maybe Eli restructures for a long-term deal for Cruz and something for Nicks. Nicks and Randle return for a good top 3. Another vet or two unless with some UDFAs for the last couple spots. Murphy is worth a look, especially if he can be the primary PR, but I'd like to see Hixon back too. I like Kevin Walter or another as a depth WR competition later in FA. A UDFA with KR/PR would be nice.

TE- JPP of TE and Myers will be the top TEs, but the Giants could draft one day 3. I've seen a few names mentioned as the TE Pope loves, but another name I thought of is Gavin Escobar, San Diego St. I think a more polished guy like Dion Sims could be drafted too.

OL- Resigning Boothe and getting rid of the turnstile David Diehl is key. I have two OL listed, 1 C/G type, 1 OT type, but if Boothe resigns, the priority might be reversed. Brewer will get a chance at OT, but he hasn't proven anything yet to be counted on. A vet like Barry Richardson would be good competition. Mosley is back from injury to compete for a future OG spot. Boothe, if resigned, could move to C next year to replace Baas.

DL- Our starters, Joseph, Jenkins, JPP, and Tuck look great on paper, but Tuck and Jenkins can be looked at for future replacements and current rotational players. A DT in the draft is definitely possible depending how the draft falls. DE is a popular mock to us in Round 1, like Werner or Tank, and it makes sense with our needs AND draft philosophy. The backup DTs, Rogers, Kuhn, and Austin, aren't proven. Austin and Kuhn could get another look, but brining in a cheap veteran later might be smart. Possibly Shaun Cody, Corey Williams, Matt Toeiana or Spencer Johnson.

LB- Dan Connor and Keith Rivers were signed to minumum deals and offer depth. JWill, Paysinger, and Herzalich are back and will get more chances for time. JWill could make an impact. Kiwi can't be allowed to be a LB again. He is terrible at LB anymore and would be much better in the DE rotation. Another 2-3 FAs and 1-2 Draft Picks (Rounds 2-4) are likely. I like Hodges in the draft. Karlos Dansby, Darryl Smith, and Nick Barnett offer versality and enough skills to be on the field all 3 Downs. Chase will likely resign for vet minimum as a good backup and ST.

S- Webster restructured and will return and likely start with Prince, Rolle, and Stevie Brown. Will Hill could get groomed behind Rolle for another year. TT is moving to Safety and will get a chance, but his injury history makes him unreliable. Mundy and Sash are backup/ST types and may compete for 1 spot. Another vet that could start like Kerry Rhodes, Michael Huff, and Gerald Sensbaugh and/or a Day 3 pick are very possible.

CB- Prince and Webster are ticketed to start with Hosley to play the nickle. With the insane number of CB injuries the last couple of years, depth is badly needed. Aaron Ross is resigned and it makes sense because of his familuarity with the system. Another vet is possible too. I expect and Day 1-2 pick to be used on a CB to eventually pair on the outside with Prince.

WR- Kevin Walter
OL- Barry Richardson

NFL DRAFT

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3
Logan Ryan- CB- Rutgers

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 7 (Compensatory)

Considering the Giants considerable cap limitations, I think the FO has done a good job. Beatty was a priority FA was re-upped before the open market. Brandon Myers is a good catcher at a low price who will be helped by Pope's tutoring. The rest were signed at vet minimum contracts and could turn out to be solid contributers. I'd give the FO a B so far considering everything. No big issues yet. Hope for some more good signings and great draft.

That is a really great mock draft. Love all the picks and more importantly it's completely realistic. The offseason plan is great, but I do hope we don't sign all of the free agents on your list. Most of those free agents however, should come cheap, depending on how much interest there is outside. Overall solid write up. Cool
ny92jefferis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fracdaddy14 wrote:
My Updated Thoughts...

WR- Kevin Walter
OL- Barry Richardson

NFL DRAFT

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3
Logan Ryan- CB- Rutgers

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 7 (Compensatory)

Like the mock draft you did. I see that DE is the popular pick for the Giants fans here, but I mixed it up a bit with mine.

NFL DRAFT

Round 1
Xavier Rhodes, CB
School: Florida State | Conference: ACC
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Miami, FL

Round 2
Alex Okafor, DE
School: Texas | Conference: BIG12
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Pflugerville, TX

Round 3
Brian Winters, OG
School: Kent State | Conference: MAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Hudson, OH

Round 4
Keith Pough, OLB
School: Howard | Conference: MEAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Orangesburg, NC

Round 5
Xavier Nixon, OT
School: Florida | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Fayetteville, NC

Round 6
Zac Stacy, RB
School: Vanderbilt | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Centreville, AL

Round 7
Daimion Stafford, FS
School: Nebraska | Conference: BIG10
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Norco, CA

Round 7 (Compensatory)
Quinn Sharp, P/K
School: Oklahoma State | Conference: BIG12
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Mansfield, TX

thoughts?
bballbkd1001

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ny92jefferis wrote:
fracdaddy14 wrote:
My Updated Thoughts...

WR- Kevin Walter
OL- Barry Richardson

NFL DRAFT

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3
Logan Ryan- CB- Rutgers

Round 4

Round 5

Round 6

Round 7

Round 7 (Compensatory)

Like the mock draft you did. I see that DE is the popular pick for the Giants fans here, but I mixed it up a bit with mine.

NFL DRAFT

Round 1
Xavier Rhodes, CB
School: Florida State | Conference: ACC
College Experience: Junior | Hometown: Miami, FL

Round 2
Alex Okafor, DE
School: Texas | Conference: BIG12
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Pflugerville, TX

Round 3
Brian Winters, OG
School: Kent State | Conference: MAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Hudson, OH

Round 4
Keith Pough, OLB
School: Howard | Conference: MEAC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Orangesburg, NC

Round 5
Xavier Nixon, OT
School: Florida | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Fayetteville, NC

Round 6
Zac Stacy, RB
School: Vanderbilt | Conference: SEC
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Centreville, AL

Round 7
Daimion Stafford, FS
School: Nebraska | Conference: BIG10
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Norco, CA

Round 7 (Compensatory)
Quinn Sharp, P/K
School: Oklahoma State | Conference: BIG12
College Experience: Senior | Hometown: Mansfield, TX

thoughts?

Not sure if okafor will be available in second round but I cannot complain

^^^ Huge props Rase on the Sig!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> New York Giants All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: