Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears sign LB D.J. Williams
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaMike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
blair18 wrote:
WindyCity wrote:
blair18 wrote:
not saying he's a bad player for the team, just a bad player for that spot.

Who do you think will be there that is a better value?

If A. Brown is there, Im definitely taking him. Xavier Rhodes, or Marcus Trufant I think would be better value there. Patterson if he's there. Lots of people. I just would be much more comfortable with trading down a bit and snagging Fluker if that's what we want
I think Emery has concluded there will be no one available at 20 worth the pick. But there are lots worth a second rounder.
I'd bet he hasn't concluded that.
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
DaMike wrote:
blair18 wrote:
same here, Fluker at 20 would be heart breaking
Why?

Because he's not the 20th best player in the draft, lol he's probably not even the 50th best player in the draft.

This. I dont know why a slow footed, directionally challenged Tackle appeals so much to people at a position he, oh yeah, has NEVER played before... But yeah Im buying that he's the BPA Rolling Eyes ...I'm taking Terron Armstead over DJ Fluker 10 out of 10 times...
Any one who plays line for Alabama is automatically ahead of almost all other linemen. They pick the best. It would be hard to go wrong with any of their players.

I like Armstead too but there is no consensus he could play guard and we need guards.

But I doubt you have to fear since Emery has announced his intention to trade the first pick.
You don't draft Armstead to play OG, yo draft him to be your LT of the future. Rare athleticism, like really rare, like the only person who has ever been alive on earth at that size w/ that kind of athleticism, rare. And he's not just a workout warrior. Has great tape from his senior season against a lower level of competition. Dominated the Shrine Game, did well at the Senior Bowl w/ almost no practice. Armstead is a phenom.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
lomaxgr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landru wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
@espnchibears (Jeff Dickerson)

Quote:
#Broncos cut Williams to avoid paying his $6 million salary. @danpompei reports his #Bears salary will be $900,000 and could hit $1.75 mill

$900K w/ no guarantees is a good # for Williams. When he's on the field he's a very good player. I'm still targeting Bostic in the 2nd round, even w/ this signing.

I agree. Seems like a low-risk yet potentially high-reward signing. The Broncos forum seems to think pretty highly of him too, which is always nice to see. I just hope he gets his issues sorted out for next season.

The same people who overrated DJ Williams are the same people who underrated Wesley Woodyard. DJ was a tackle machine as a MLB during the years where Denver fielded some of the worst Defenses in the history of the NFL (statistics back this up), and as is always the case with tackle machines on bad Defenses, these tackles were 5-10 yards upfield.

I am personally baffled by this move. DJ's best attribute without question is his ability as a blitzing LB. I may be wrong, but aren't the Bears one of the least blitzing teams in the NFL? DJ can't stack and shed, he has lost a step and he doesn't have MLB instincts (has never played two years in a row at the position).

He's one of the biggest boneheads in the league too. He reminds me of a scouser (to all you Brits) in that he is always the victim; it's never, ever his fault. This isn't a gut reaction to him leaving; go look at my posts on him in the Bronco forum for the last two years. When the coaches finally had to replace him during his suspension, Wesley Woodyard utterly outperformed him.

Maybe he will have a better career at MLB with a much better DT rotation infront of him than he ever had in Denver, but if you can't keep him clean then expect to see him washed 5-10 yards down field.

MUFC OK
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds

Last edited by Mudderfudder77 on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Landru wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Quote:
#Broncos cut Williams to avoid paying his $6 million salary. @danpompei reports his #Bears salary will be $900,000 and could hit $1.75 mill

$900K w/ no guarantees is a good # for Williams. When he's on the field he's a very good player. I'm still targeting Bostic in the 2nd round, even w/ this signing.

I agree. Seems like a low-risk yet potentially high-reward signing. The Broncos forum seems to think pretty highly of him too, which is always nice to see. I just hope he gets his issues sorted out for next season.

The same people who overrated DJ Williams are the same people who underrated Wesley Woodyard. DJ was a tackle machine as a MLB during the years where Denver fielded some of the worst Defenses in the history of the NFL (statistics back this up), and as is always the case with tackle machines on bad Defenses, these tackles were 5-10 yards upfield.

I am personally baffled by this move. DJ's best attribute without question is his ability as a blitzing LB. I may be wrong, but aren't the Bears one of the least blitzing teams in the NFL? DJ can't stack and shed, he has lost a step and he doesn't have MLB instincts (has never played two years in a row at the position).

He's one of the biggest boneheads in the league too. He reminds me of a scouser (to all you Brits) in that he is always the victim; it's never, ever his fault. This isn't a gut reaction to him leaving; go look at my posts on him in the Bronco forum for the last two years. When the coaches finally had to replace him during his suspension, Wesley Woodyard utterly outperformed him.

Maybe he will have a better career at MLB with a much better DT rotation infront of him than he ever had in Denver, but if you can't keep him clean then expect to see him washed 5-10 yards down field.

Thanks for the insight on Williams. Seeing as he and James Anderson were both just signed to low $ one year deals its clear the Bears see them only as stop gaps. Most people expect the Bears to look hard at LB early in this draft even with these signing as well.

And I think a lot of the optimism about DJ is that he is replacing Urlacher who is basically washed up at this point. Its very reasonable to believe that if we are getting the DJ Williams you describe could still be an upgrade for Chicago.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Landru wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Quote:

This appears to be a no-risk move on the Bears part. If he is still a head case he won't even make the team and it won't cost them anything. If he has started to figure out that he should not act like an idiot, it could be a great stop-gap for the Bears. Lord knows, we are in desperate need of LBs.

I would not be surprised to see similar deals in the next few months for the Bears.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lomaxgr wrote:
Landru wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:

Quote:

This appears to be a no-risk move on the Bears part. If he is still a head case he won't even make the team and it won't cost them anything. If he has started to figure out that he should not act like an idiot, it could be a great stop-gap for the Bears. Lord knows, we are in desperate need of LBs.

I would not be surprised to see similar deals in the next few months for the Bears.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: