Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

You're on the Clock
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: You're on the Clock Reply with quote

Alright I thought this would be an interesting little thing to do with all the mocks we have going.

Hereís how this works: Post the player you would draft if you were the GM of the Pittsburgh Steelers and give a thorough explanation of why you think this is the right pick. Donít be afraid to mention their cons.

When you post, because we all know that youíll likely disagree with the guy before you; give a brief (no more than 2 sentence) explanation of why that shouldnít be the pick prior to stating yours.

Hereís the catch. You canít duplicate an answer. In other words, if I were to pick Jarvis Jones, no one else after me can select that player. (there is more than enough first round possibilities to consider Wink

*Given the nature of this catch, you are permitted to state your pick within the confines of a realistic trade. In other words, itís not realistic to suggest the Steelers would trade up to #1 for Shariff Flloyd for example, but maybe itís realistic that we move up 2 or 3 spots to acquire a highly coveted guy like Jones or move back to acquire another individual like Eifert.

I disagree that anyone posted before me Wink

With the #17 overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Pick: Safety, Kenny Vaccaro, Texas.

Iíve been pretty high on this kid since I started discussing potential selections on this forum. First and foremost I believe that if the Pittsburgh Steelers select Vaccaro he will play Strong Safety for our defense (played FS at UT). The biggest con Vaccaro has is his lack of elite speed, but where he lacks speed, I believe he will make up for in overall talent. His stats at Texas as both a junior and a senior were very good:

Junior: 82 Tkls Ė 8 TFL, 8 Passes Defended, 2 Sacks, 2 Interceptions
Senior: 92 Tkls Ė 4.5 TFL, 5 Passes Defended, 2 Interceptions, 2 FFís

When I look at those stats, while I see someone capable of playing well in coverage, more so I see a fierce tackler that can create turnovers, remind you of anyone? Yes, it reminds me of Troy Polamalu also. The one flaw that both Vaccaro and Polamalu share is that they can both be reckless tacklers at times instead of wrapping up a ball carrier they attempt to Ďshoulder blockí them and take them to the ground with brute force. He has very good size at 6í0, 214 lbs. He has excellent mobility and versatility, and heís very football smart.

He does a good job at understanding the progression of routes, heís got decent ball skills but he is by no means a ball hawk considering he only has five career interceptions. Itís not often he gets caught out of position but it does happen. He is very aggressive against the run, this, as much as itís a strength, can also be a weakness at times, he is a very strong tackler with the ability to blitz and does a good job in pursuit but because of his aggressiveness there are times where he will find himself over pursuing and taking himself out of a play.

Combine: He didn't post a great 40 but we've also seen worse. Overall I thought he showed very good hip movement and footwork and posted a respectable set of combine numbers. I think initially it will have hurt his stock but I think all that really does is ensure that he is on the board at #17.

Overall, especially with how often Troy Polamalu has been injured in the last few seasons, I think Vaccaro is very capable of starting right away. Iím not saying I believe he will because I donít believe thatís true, but if we were to select Vaccaro, I do believe he would be in the starting role (not permanently) prior to the end of the season due to injury to Troy Polamalu.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice concept wwhickok. I like your evalutation of Vaccaro. It's taken me awhile to come around on him as a pick at #17, but I do like the idea of a capable backup for Troy and/or Clark. Obviously we need an heir apparent to at least one of them sooner rather than later. Would love pairing Vaccaro with Tony Jefferson.

Get back to you on my pick when I have sufficient time/brain power. Laughing
kethnaab

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xavier Rhodes, DB, FSU

we just lost Keenan Lewis, Ike is old and coming off injury, and both Troy and Ryan Clark are older and need replacing sooner rather than later.

Rhodes is a super-physical, extremely athletic guy with all the attributes we look for at CB. He's big, strong, a very willing (and effective) tackler, and fits perfectly with the more physical press style we're using at CB. He has the size and strength to go against the bigger WRs and TEs, while having the long speed to play the edge and recover if he gets beat off the line (which is rare because he's a very good bump CB)

He also has the size and physicality to play safety and be a great cover safety/conversion.
cjfollett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be upset if the Steelers took Vacarro at 17, but I would prefer a top offensive player in this draft to make up for the losses of Wallace and Mendenhall. So my pick at 17 is:

Cordarrelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee

Strengths: Size and speed

Weaknesses: Raw and inexperienced

The way I see it, the Steelers are not going to be that good in 2013. No one they draft this year is going to change that much for the team. Also, a WR in his first year doesn't always make a big splash in the NFL.

Therefore, Patterson could take on the AB role of years past by becoming the ST return man. He will also see the field as the #3 WR. Maybe becoming #2 by year's end. By 2014, he'll be ready to shine as Ben's deep option and go to guy.

The kid has a lot to learn, but his ceiling is very high. If he is there at 17, he'd be hard to pass on.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright I'll have a go at it. My pick is Jarvis Jones.

At 17, this guy is a steal. He's a monster pass rusher and has proven his worth in a 3-4 defense at Georgia. He might be the #1 overall talent in the draft. He's got good size and explosiveness. He's had 28 sacks in the past 2 years and 42 tfl. We could use that kind of production in our defense after falling off last year. This move would also light a fire under Worilds and Woodley to be more motivated and productive.
Has a great motor, timing, instincts and quick reaction to the play. While not a premier run stopper I think he is underrated, being a good tackler, not as one dimensional as some make him out to be. He's also capable in coverage when asked to do so. Bottom line: He's a hell of a football player as he mentioned at his pro day. Maybe not a gold medalist in the underwear olympics, but hey, neither was Lawrence Taylor.

The obvious negatives are his medical condition. Spinal stenosis and possible problems associated with that. Also he will be 24 in October, not the usual MO of the Steelers FO. And of course his below average pro day numbers.

Overall, I think a guy that would normally go top 5 has enough red flags to drop him to 17 and this is a huge gift to the B&G. I see him being the next great defender in the great tradition of our defense.

Last edited by JLambert58 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You come up with some fun threads.

On my phone...Ill add something later if I remember.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FourThreeMafia wrote:
You come up with some fun threads.

On my phone...Ill add something later if I remember.

I appreciate that 43, I took your advice from my last thread I created of a similar type and made some very restraining rules', I figured this way we'll see more 'analysis' on more players.
jebrick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steelers are now on the clock at 17...

wait

Looks like we have a trade. Lets wait for the Commissioner to announce it.

Steelers send pick 1.17 to SF for picks 1.31, pick 3.74, pick 3.93

San Fransisco is on the clock.

=========================

Green Bay is on the clock with the 26th pick...Looks like we have another trade.

Green Bay has traded the 26th pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers for pick 1.31 and pick 4.185

With the 26st pick in the 1st round The Steelers select

Justin Hunter WR Tennessee

Steelers get a good deal to move back but then must get back in front of Houston to get Hunter. They could have also sat still and taken Nuk Hopkins.

With Hunter the Steelers get a proven #1 WR. He has the size to work in the short to intermediate part of the field and speed to get vertical. They like his run-after-the-catch ability as well as his combination of size and speed.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
thewadewilson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they stand pat,

With the 17th selection in the 2013 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers Select:

Johnathan Cooper OG North Carolina.

Cooper is very mobile for a big man and also has excellent use of his hands.

The Steelers did an excellent job of reducing Ben's sacks and hits taken. But why settle for an average line when you can have a great one. And the running game didnt just start trending down in 2012 it was trending down in 2011 as well.

The Steelers even though they resigned Ramon Foster, and have Decastro at another spot Foster irregardless of any promises, is assured of nothing. They also promised Tommy Maddox they would not Draft a quarterback at #11 and the rest is history.

Pittsburgh Steelers/Houston Texans Fan
Whiz Khalifa Black & Yellow/Slim Thug I'm From Houston Texas home of the Texans
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steeler's trade their 1.17, 2.48, and 4.115 to Minnesota for their 1.23 and 1.25.

With the 1.23 pick, the Steelers select:

WR Keenan Allen, California

A WR's most important trait, IMO, is the ability to actually catch the football--check, Allen is one of the best.

Secondly, he needs to get open--check, he is a great route runner and will find seams in the D.

He's not a burner, but he's fast enough. He's not huge, but 6'2" is a good size.

With the 1.25 pick, the Steeler's select:

RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama

Yep, it's a reach, but with a combo of Allen and Lacy, our O is relevant again. Did we ignore the D, yes, but we could still get a good D player in Rd 3.

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

Last edited by Ward4HOF on Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
cjfollett

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward4HOF wrote:
Steeler's trade their 1.17, 2.48, and 4.115 to Minnesota for their 1.23 and 1.25.

A WR's most important trait, IMO, is the baility to actually catch the football--check, Allen is one of the best

Secondly, he needs to get open--check, he is a greta route runner and will find seams in the D.

He's not a burner, but he's fast enough. He's not huge, but 6'2" is a good size.

RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama

Yep, it's a reach, but with a combo of Allen and Lacy, our O is relevant again. Did we ignore the D, yes, but we could still get a good D player in Rd 3.

I like this. I am just not convinced Minn would trade. Who do they get at 1.17?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjfollett wrote:
Ward4HOF wrote:

A WR's most important trait, IMO, is the baility to actually catch the football--check, Allen is one of the best

Secondly, he needs to get open--check, he is a greta route runner and will find seams in the D.

RB Eddie Lacy, Alabama

I like this. I am just not convinced Minn would trade. Who do they get at 1.17?

It wouldnt happen. The Vikings have some holes to fill and it would be stupid of them to make that trade....esepcially considering there likely wont be any talent worth that trade up. NOW, before anyone says "teams have their own values on players"...the fact of the matter is that I cant see Minny making that trade for anyone that has a realistic chance of making it to 17.

A more realistic trade up would be San Francisco since they dont have alot of holes and have 14 picks. They are definitely gonna make a few moves.
JustPlainNasty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a ridiculous trade don't care what the point value spread is.

And why exactly would Minnesota make it in the first place,...trades like this without reason are not creditable at all at the very least give good justification as to why the team would be so willing to make such a move.

Its not as if RG3 will be sitting there and a move up from 23 would only cost an additional 3rd and maybe 5th rounder.

...you have a forum resume?
FourThreeMafia

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustPlainNasty wrote:
Thats a ridiculous trade don't care what the point value spread is.

And why exactly would Minnesota make it in the first place,...trades like this without reason are not creditable at all at the very least give good justification as to why the team would be so willing to make such a move.

Its not as if RG3 will be sitting there and a move up from 23 would only cost an additional 3rd and maybe 5th rounder.

Agreed.

No offense towards you Ward, but the constant trade ups in all these mocks is getting annoying...especially when people are just putting "(insert team) trades 1st and a 2nd for 17th overall" without any elucidation about why said team is trading up and for whom".

As I said...at least the 49ers would make more sense if a guy like Vacarro was on the board.

But as much as most Steeler fans want to trade down, its much more wishful thinking than a realistic possibility. It is possible...but highly unlikely.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree, no way I see Minn making that deal. That trade is a lot of work considering we could likely stand pat and still get Allen & Lacy. Or at the very least, trade up 5-10 spots in the second. I like the idea though, that would be a nice 1-2 punch for our offense.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: