Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is DE an option in the 1st round?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PanthersForever

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is DE an option in the 1st round? Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
We all know that Gettleman came from the Giants, who loved taking first round DEs. They were under the impression if they could control the defensive line, they could control the game. This was apparent as they have won 2 Super Bowls in recent times.

I pose the question, is DE even on the table for us in the 1st round, or 2nd round for that matter? If a DE was BPA, should they be the pick?

I personally would prefer that the Panthers draft either a big beefy D-Tackle who can squash the run game, a game-changing wide receiver, or some offensive line help, in that order. However if there is a DE that can change the game as BPA at 14, then maybe the Panthers would take him, that possibility cannot be discounted.

Marty Hurney was a terrible general manager and gave some above average players some incredibly over-valued contracts. When I consider the Panthers salary cap situation, which I think is going to greatly hinder the Panthers flexibility in the market for YEARS to come, I think that players have to go or re-structure. Jordan Gross and DeAngelo Williams headline that list to me, but Charles Johnson is owed a ton of money and will be taking up a large percentage of cap space in the future. In two years the Panthers will have very difficult decisions to make about Jordan Gross, DeAngelo Williams, Jon Beason, Thomas Davis, and Charles Johnson. It could be that all of the huge extensions Hurney gave out before he left were some of the worst contracts the Panthers have ever given out.

Personally though, Big Money is a stud and I hope we keep him, and the Kraken is nuts and I really hope we re-sign him long term to form a fearsome tandem. What we really need is some beef in the middle to keep our linebackers flowing to the ball. If Gettleman actually picks a DE with his first pick, I feel he's basically putting his job on the line early.
catamount

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Is DE an option in the 1st round? Reply with quote

TROJANPANTHER wrote:
boondock wrote:
We all know that Gettleman came from the Giants, who loved taking first round DEs. They were under the impression if they could control the defensive line, they could control the game. This was apparent as they have won 2 Super Bowls in recent times.

I pose the question, is DE even on the table for us in the 1st round, or 2nd round for that matter? If a DE was BPA, should they be the pick?

No one better say yes to this question, cause when I've brought up the possibility of taking a DE in the first as BPA, everyone has scoffed at me.

But to the question posed, absolutely. There's a very high chance we won't be able to resign Greg Hardy, and additionally, you can never have enough pass rushers.

ANSWER: YES. Here is why: Johnson's contract is stupid, and he will be tradeable or even cut iin a year or two as a result. Hardy is a free agent in 20i4. Even if both stay, you have trade bait.

However, the Giants were not in the spot we are in. They had fewer needs and more cap room. While all GMs want to say "BPA", there are times when you HAVE to use the draft to fill needs. This is one of them
PantherDE90

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is DE an option in the 1st round? Reply with quote

catamount wrote:
TROJANPANTHER wrote:
boondock wrote:

No one better say yes to this question, cause when I've brought up the possibility of taking a DE in the first as BPA, everyone has scoffed at me.

But to the question posed, absolutely. There's a very high chance we won't be able to resign Greg Hardy, and additionally, you can never have enough pass rushers.

ANSWER: YES. Here is why: Johnson's contract is stupid, and he will be tradeable or even cut iin a year or two as a result. Hardy is a free agent in 20i4. Even if both stay, you have trade bait.

However, the Giants were not in the spot we are in. They had fewer needs and more cap room. While all GMs want to say "BPA", there are times when you HAVE to use the draft to fill needs. This is one of them

The only way the Gettleman drafts a DE in the first is if he intends on letting Hardy walk. The only one I'd want would be Ansah and he'll probably be gone.

I seriously doubt CJ will be gone in a year or two. He seems high character enough to restructure or extend his contract to help the team. Re-signing Hardy is going to be difficult anyway you spin it.

"There are many things given to us in this life for the wrong reasons. What we do with such blessings, that is the true test of a man." - Gannicus
Silverback47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. If Gettleman thinks that a defensive end is BPA, he's going to take him. Defensive end is one of the most expensive, most difficult positions to fill, and is one of the most important positions on the team. If the best player at our spot also happens to check off those criteria, then Gettleman shouldn't think about the depth chart. Just take him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: