Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Is DE an option in the 1st round?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: Is DE an option in the 1st round? Reply with quote

We all know that Gettleman came from the Giants, who loved taking first round DEs. They were under the impression if they could control the defensive line, they could control the game. This was apparent as they have won 2 Super Bowls in recent times.

I pose the question, is DE even on the table for us in the 1st round, or 2nd round for that matter? If a DE was BPA, should they be the pick?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Is DE an option in the 1st round? Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
We all know that Gettleman came from the Giants, who loved taking first round DEs. They were under the impression if they could control the defensive line, they could control the game. This was apparent as they have won 2 Super Bowls in recent times.

I pose the question, is DE even on the table for us in the 1st round, or 2nd round for that matter? If a DE was BPA, should they be the pick?

No one better say yes to this question, cause when I've brought up the possibility of taking a DE in the first as BPA, everyone has scoffed at me.

But to the question posed, absolutely. There's a very high chance we won't be able to resign Greg Hardy, and additionally, you can never have enough pass rushers.

Carolina Kitten - Sig God.

NFL - Panthers
College - USC, UNM
Impulser12000

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i get the need for pass rushers but we also need dts to clog the middle. if they can run all over us theres no need to worry about pass rushers. a good safety can help take away the pass, stack the box or blitz. plus when they do score we need to answer and thats where a new wr comes in. we already have 2 10 sack guys and IMO have much more glaring needs and failure to address these needs would hinder us more than getting another player at a stacked position would help us.
i do get the importance of a solid d line (thats how we got to the superbowl too wth buckner, jenkins, j pepp and rucker) but dt is 50% of the line and right now they need an infusion much more than the other half of the line

CarolinaKitten on the sig
CAROLINA DID NOT DRAFT ARMANTI EDWARDS TO PLAY QB...or at all. Man he sucks
james.mcmurry13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll stick with no, mainly because I think the obvious BPA candidates (Jordan, Mingo, Ansah) will be long gone. It would take a very wild scenario to make a DE the BPA.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say no. Even if we lose Hardy he is still under contract till next year. So we can just take a DE 1st round next year. But right now we need a DT/WR.
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OneBadCat wrote:
I'd say no. Even if we lose Hardy he is still under contract till next year. So we can just take a DE 1st round next year. But right now we need a DT/WR.

The hope would be to take the DE this year and have him ready to jump into the mix the follow year. Potentially to become our next star DE when Johnson has his contract up in a few years.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically possible, but I would be more than a little disappointed if they took a DE. Terrible, terrible idea boonie. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your thread is bad and you should feel bad.

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
OneBadCat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
OneBadCat wrote:

The hope would be to take the DE this year and have him ready to jump into the mix the follow year. Potentially to become our next star DE when Johnson has his contract up in a few years.

I understand the idea. But without Smith we are nothing at WR. We are too desperate at WR and DT to forgo them just to make Hardy expendable.

If we take Star or one of the top DT's this year, then Frank Alexander might be a good enough starter in 2014. Even still a 1st round pick would be an effective player on a line with Johnson and Star.
iknowcool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too opposed to taking a DE if it wasn't for the fact I'm not sold any of these DEs are worth taking in the first round.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We saying DE but looking at this year DE they are raw & I really don't expect us to go this route .Far as Hardy leaving the Panthers, He has two choices either going to sign him long term or he will see the tag next year. No way he walk into FA without the Panthers getting something for him.
boondock

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fretgod99 wrote:
Technically possible, but I would be more than a little disappointed if they took a DE. Terrible, terrible idea boonie. You should be ashamed of yourself. Your thread is bad and you should feel bad.

Purely a hypothetical scenario to generate discussion, I'm not drinking the Panda Milk like our friend ET.

Global Moderator
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondock wrote:
fretgod99 wrote:
Purely a hypothetical scenario to generate discussion, I'm not drinking the Panda Milk like our friend ET.
I SAID YOUR THREAD IS BAD AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD!

MrDrew wrote:
Can somebody give me a good reason there's not a giant statue to fret somewhere?
Zithers

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd rule out QB, RB, TE, C, ST stuff, and LB. every other position is an option as far as i'm concerned.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the #14 pick in the 2013 draft, look for the Panthers to grab a DT or OT. One of the two Star Lotulelei or Sharrif Floyd will drop, Same can be said about Eric Fisher or Lane Johnson. IMO One of these players will be a Cat next season.

2012 DROY Winner - Luke Kuechly 164 tackles, 2 Int, 1 sack, 11 TFLs, 8 PD and 3 Fumble recoveries
Luke Kuechly - 2013 Defensive Player of the Year
Moody

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really impressed with any DE prospect to the point where we can't pass him up. Jarvis Jones is interesting though as a pass rushing LB. I hate picking LB in the first but he isn't quite the same as the others. I don't think I'd pick him though.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Carolina Panthers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: