Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jarvis Jones runs 4.9 40 @ his Pro Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what his splits were, but they couldn't have been very good if he ran a 4.9... I didn't see any times posted for the change of direction drills, but they would have to be pretty awesome to overcome some of these other things:

* 4.9 40
* 9'3" Broad jump
* 30.5" Vertical
* 20 BP reps

These mediocre (at best) numbers, combined with the spinal stenosis, and I'd say he's officially out of the conversation at #6.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Warsaw Warriors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a big Jarvis Jones proponant before this 40 time.If he was an ILB I would not be worried but for pete's sake Teo's time was faster! That isn't good for a speed pass rusher. My draft wish list is 1) Millner, 2) Jordan 3) Ansah. If all 3 are taken....punt
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warsaw Warriors wrote:
I was a big Jarvis Jones proponant before this 40 time.If he was an ILB I would not be worried but for pete's sake Teo's time was faster! That isn't good for a speed pass rusher. My draft wish list is 1) Millner, 2) Jordan 3) Ansah. If all 3 are taken....punt

So your changing your opinion b/c he ran a slow 40? and your top 3 are all guys who blew up the combine...

Jones is an outstanding football player. He's just limited scheme wise. combine that with is age (24) and his injury history (regardless of the spinal issue, he's had multiple injuries) he's a late first round talent. I'd say top of the second at worst.

Its a shame so many fans base a players "talents" on a 40 time.
ReggieCamp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Warsaw Warriors wrote:

So your changing your opinion b/c he ran a slow 40? and your top 3 are all guys who blew up the combine...

Jones is an outstanding football player. He's just limited scheme wise. combine that with is age (24) and his injury history (regardless of the spinal issue, he's had multiple injuries) he's a late first round talent. I'd say top of the second at worst.

It's not just the 40 time. Those numbers on the broad jump and vertical show a lack of explosion. I don't want that from my high pick pass rusher.

Adopt-a-Brown: Desmond Bryant
2013 Stats (10 games): 24 Tkls, 3.5 Sacks, 2 Stuffs, 1 PD
Warsaw Warriors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ReggieCamp wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Warsaw Warriors wrote:

It's not just the 40 time. Those numbers on the broad jump and vertical show a lack of explosion. I don't want that from my high pick pass rusher.
+1. 40 time isn't everything but you have to look at it. Especially for a speed rusher. Thanks for the lecture tho
FLAbrownfan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been a big fan of Jarvis tbh, I don't think his 40 will hurt him that much I didn't think he would do good in the combine due to his athletic ability- the red flags for me are the injury and really although he made sacks and such when I watched Georgia he didn't stand out to me as much as the ILB and the NT they had.

R.I.P Crackburn, always in our hearts
adopt a Brown: Davone Bess - The best- one catch, one first down--- never mind person foul takes away! arrghhh Reg on the SIG
bulldog

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warsaw Warriors wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Warsaw Warriors wrote:

+1. 40 time isn't everything but you have to look at it. Especially for a speed rusher. Thanks for the lecture tho

Suggs ran a 4.8, just sayin.

40 times means nothing for a pass rusher. It doesn't take 40 yards to get to the QB. It takes about 7.

I'm not making a case for Jones, b/c 1. I don't want the Browns to draft him, and 2. other numbers do matter. 10 yard split, vertical, broad jump, 3 cone and shuttle times. But these are just confirmation of what is seen on game day.
BwickBrownie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
Warsaw Warriors wrote:
ReggieCamp wrote:
bulldog wrote:
Warsaw Warriors wrote:

Suggs ran a 4.8, just sayin.

40 times means nothing for a pass rusher. It doesn't take 40 yards to get to the QB. It takes about 7.

I'm not making a case for Jones, b/c 1. I don't want the Browns to draft him, and 2. other numbers do matter. 10 yard split, vertical, broad jump, 3 cone and shuttle times. But these are just confirmation of what is seen on game day.

Suggs is also 20lbs heavier...
Quote:
40 time isnít everything: As former NFL general manager Charley Casserly noted on NFL Network, Jonesís 40 is comparable to the 40 that Terrell Suggs ran at his Pro Day, a workout that had some people downgrading Suggs but didnít dissuade the Ravens from spending a Top 10 pick on him ó and didnít stop Suggs from becoming one of the NFLís best defensive players. But Suggs is also 260 pounds

I'm having this same convo with a friend of mine, and I agree with Reg on this... measurables have their place in evaluating talent, just as tape does, but when you're a team picking at 6 with multiple options and one of them puts up sub-par numbers, why take that risk?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: