Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

T.I.R.T. 5.0 - O/U how many wins the Vikings have?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
 
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
bears2308


Joined: 20 Feb 2008
Posts: 2431
Location: Indianapolis
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
Going to go ahead and answer both GoodAsGould13 and bears2308 in one post.

First off, as much hate as Lovie Smith got from Packers and Bears fans alike, he was a great defensive mind. Since 2010, the Chicago Bears are consistently amongst the best defenses in the league. Yet, somehow the notion that bringing in a new scheme that there is somehow not going to be any drop off. Not to mention, that Mel Tucker directed defenses have been one of the worst pass rushing groups in recent years. You still don't think you're due for regression? Nevermind, the fact that your key players (Peanut, Jennings, Briggs, and Peppers) are averaging almost 32 years old. Combine that fact with the spotty drafting history of the Bears, and you're almost certainly due for regression.


Who was a good pass-rusher for Jacksonville? Is Jerry Angelo still our GM? We'll probably have a regression but still be a top 10 defense. With an improved offense we win 6 games? Gotcha.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ketchup


Joined: 13 May 2009
Posts: 13815
Location: Milwaukee, WI
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
GoodAsGould13 wrote:
My whole point with my original post was that there is no way we are only winning 5 or 6 games like some of you think. We have done much more this offseason so far than the Packers have done, and I think the changes we have made to the O-Line alone will make us a better team then last year.
Signing free agents doesn't make your team automatically better especially when you over pay for an average T like Bushrod. Bushrod is going to get torn apart just like he did in NO. The only signing that I consider as a major upgrade is Bennett at TE.

As for the Packers, we don't sign free agents. We just don't. They hardly ever live up to the contracts they get. We are getting better though simply by getting healthy. Desmond Bishop missed all of lat year and is EASILY our best ILB. Nick Perry, our rookie 1st round pass rusher, is coming back healthy after being placed on IR after week 6. Derek Sherrod should also finally be healthy after his broken leg. Just those three players gives us a starting ILB, starting OLB and legit competition for starting LT.

That all doesn't even mention that we always do the most damage during the draft and signing UDFA's.


Signing a tackle who has been to back to back pro bowls is in my opinion a MAJOR upgrade to what weve had in the past. Sure, he wasnt the best FA tackle, but he was one of the better ones and he has a great connection with Kromer already and seeing as what our cap space was, I think it was a perfect signing. Also signing Slausen today upgrades our O-line exponentially.

We were weak at O-line- Signed 3 offensive lineman.

We were weak at LB so we signed 2 decent Linebackers.

I know you guys always do your work in the draft and never focus on FA thats why I emphasized SO FAR.

Do you yourself believe that the Bear will only win 5 or 6 games
Nope. Have them around the 9 win area. Give or take a win.
_________________

Kempes on the custom sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
dijatool


Joined: 17 Feb 2013
Posts: 362
Location: SoCal
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often does a head coaching change turn into an immediate benefit? It happens, but not often.

The Bears have lost their defensive QB (paraphrasing what some members of the D had to say in the wake of Urlacher's departure). At some level that has to hurt.

Let's not forget the departure of Special Teams coach Dave Toub, who along with Hester always scared me silly (with good reason). Hester will be another year older but seems to have accepted that he's not going to be a WR (finally). I can't see how any of us on either side would know at this point how that'll turn out.

As always, I look forward to watching the Packers play the Bears just so long as this year there aren't any spikes sticking out of the grass at the city park the Bears play in.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
northernpackfan


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 1992
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
But lets compare positions and see how we stack up.

QB- Easily Packers
WR- Close but slight edge to Packers
RB- Easily Bears
TE- With how Finley played last year, and you losing Crabtree I give Bears the slight edge.
FB- Packers
O-Line- Bears

Defense.

Linebackers- Packers
Safties- Pretty Close, Ill say Packers
CBs- Bears easily
D-Line- Close, but I say Bears

Special Teams- Bears
Coaching- Packers


Pretty even in my opinion, but I know the Packers right now are the better team.

My whole point with my original post was that there is no way we are only winning 5 or 6 games like some of you think. We have done much more this offseason so far than the Packers have done, and I think the changes we have made to the O-Line alone will make us a better team then last year.


There were a few interesting assessments you made that I don't necessarily agree with. First, while I like Bennett, and think he could be a stud if used properly, I'm leery of the NYG TEs. In 2010, Kevin Boss was their receiving TE, and they let him walk in FA, and he hasn't been heard of since. In 2011, Jake Ballard was their top TE, and while NE scooped him from waivers, he hasn't been able to come back from his injury, and therefore is a non-factor. In 2012, it was Martellus Bennett's year in NY. Will he be able to put up another productive year outside of the Big Apple? Nobody knows yet, but NYG TE trends don't suggest so.

In terms of the OL, I think you need to break them down two ways. Chicago's line is better at run blocking, but the Packers' line is, IMO, slightly better in pass protection, not that either line was anything to write home about in 2012. Therefore, while I would agree that the overall edge goes to the Bears, I think it is only by a slight margin.

Again, as far as the CBs go, I agree with your assessment that the Bears' CBs are better, but I don't think it is by as much as you attest. I'd say because of the Packers' depth and youth, the Bears are not better easily, they are just better.

Other than those 3 points, and your WR claim, which I will address in a separate post, I like your evaluation a lot, well done. I can totally see the Bears in the playoff picture, and if some of their FA signings/draft picks work out, and they get a couple of bounces going their way, they could be a real threat in the NFC North.

BTW, I really think Trestman is going to do a lot for the Bears' O, he was heads and shoulders above all but one of his CFL counterparts, over whom he was only slightly better. And while the defense may regress a little with the coaching changes, and probably needs a pretty significant overhaul in the next year or two, the offensive improvements could cover up those weak spots during the transition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3727
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
HyponGrey wrote:
GoodAsGould13 wrote:
CWood21 wrote:
GoodAsGould13 wrote:
Exactly what have you guys done this offseason that makes you any better at all? Signed Jones and Tavecchio?


Getting healthy pieces back? Rodgers is worlds better than Cutler, and Matthews and Peppers are pretty much a wash. The Packers are younger and for the most part more athletic. The Packers were a better team last year, and the improvement from last year to this year is probably swinging in the favor of the Packers.


Great, we all know that Rodgers is better. I am not comparing players, I am saying we have done much more SO FAR this offseason to become a better team then the Packers have.

But lets compare positions and see how we stack up.

QB- Easily Packers
WR- Close but slight edge to Packers
RB- Easily Bears
TE- With how Finley played last year, and you losing Crabtree I give Bears the slight edge.
FB- Packers
O-Line- Bears

Defense.

Linebackers- Packers
Safties- Pretty Close, Ill say Packers
CBs- Bears easily
D-Line- Close, but I say Bears

Special Teams- Bears
Coaching- Packers


Pretty even in my opinion, but I know the Packers right now are the better team.

My whole point with my original post was that there is no way we are only winning 5 or 6 games like some of you think. We have done much more this offseason so far than the Packers have done, and I think the changes we have made to the O-Line alone will make us a better team then last year.

I actually disagree a bit.

QB- Easily Packers
WR- Close but slight edge to Packers
RB- Easily Bears
TE- With how Finley played at the end of last year, compared to how Bennett did all of last year, I still give the Packers a slight edge.
FB- Packers
O-Line- Very close, but the Packers at least have the right side nailed, and Garza was so much better as a Guard. Packers.

Defense.

Linebackers- Packers
Safties- Pretty Close, Ill say Packers
CBs- Packers had 4 CB in higher rankings according to PFF while no other team had more than 2, but the Bear's starter duo graded out higher. Hard to pick, but I'll give slight advantage Bears.
D-Line- Close, but I say Bears

Special Teams- Bears, we lost Crabtree.
Coaching- Packers



hahaha looks like we almost feel the same way. I agree with a lot of the points you made as well.
The only other thing I can add, is that the bulk of our offseason signings will happen in the space of 3 days (if you catch my drift Laughing) and I'm positive we differ in our expectations of who will do better with those signings.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
northernpackfan


Joined: 02 Mar 2007
Posts: 1992
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
As for the WR standpoint, I like the Bears corps better but that just might be my Homerism. We obviously have one of the Top 3 WR in the game so I dont even need to talk about him.

But I think Jeffery has a chance to be a stud in the league in a few years if he can just stay healthy and continue to work out with Marshall. I think he could eventually to a top 15 to top 10 WR in the league.

Earl Bennett I think can be a great slot receiver if we just strictly play him there. I think we just need one more speed WR and we could have one of the top WR corps in the league.

Yes Nelson and Cobb are good, but I just think the combo of Marshall and Jeffery could end up being deadly and reminds me of the Larry Fitz, and Boldin combo when they were together in Arizona. James Jones is a pretty good WR as well so dont think I forgot about him.

While I appreciate the fact that you admit your preference might be due to homerism, which we are all subject to, supporting your evaluation with what you think might happen if everything comes together for two of the Bears' three WRs isn't terribly effective.

While Jeffery did flash some potential in 2012, he didn't demonstrate the ability to be reliable and consistent, which is what makes great receivers great. The league is littered with guys who have put up amazing numbers over a short period, or had a few great games in a season, but they rarely develop into superstars. As you said Jeffery has to stay healthy, and has to be able to maintain his output week after week. I understand your optimism, as every Bears fan should be hoping for him to realize his potential, of which he has a lot, but you can't say right now that he is anything other than a developmental prospect who hasn't demonstrated the ability to stay healthy.

Again, with Bennett, its hard to accept your suggestion that he can be great. He's had 5 years to reach his potential, and has only been able to play a full 16 game season once in that time. My guess is that since he hasn't broken out yet, its not likely to happen, even if they use him exclusively out of the slot, especially since he can't seem to stay healthy even when he plays some of his snaps on the outside.

Because a lot of your assessment of the Bears' WR corps is dependent on player development that may or may not happen, I don't think that right now, you can say that the Bears' WR corps is even close to that of the Packers. If everything plays out the way you hope it will, we can have a very different conversation next year, but as it stands today, I don't think you have much to support your position.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoodAsGould13


Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 94
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northernpackfan wrote:


There were a few interesting assessments you made that I don't necessarily agree with. First, while I like Bennett, and think he could be a stud if used properly, I'm leery of the NYG TEs. In 2010, Kevin Boss was their receiving TE, and they let him walk in FA, and he hasn't been heard of since. In 2011, Jake Ballard was their top TE, and while NE scooped him from waivers, he hasn't been able to come back from his injury, and therefore is a non-factor. In 2012, it was Martellus Bennett's year in NY. Will he be able to put up another productive year outside of the Big Apple? Nobody knows yet, but NYG TE trends don't suggest so.

In terms of the OL, I think you need to break them down two ways. Chicago's line is better at run blocking, but the Packers' line is, IMO, slightly better in pass protection, not that either line was anything to write home about in 2012. Therefore, while I would agree that the overall edge goes to the Bears, I think it is only by a slight margin.

Again, as far as the CBs go, I agree with your assessment that the Bears' CBs are better, but I don't think it is by as much as you attest. I'd say because of the Packers' depth and youth, the Bears are not better easily, they are just better.

Other than those 3 points, and your WR claim, which I will address in a separate post, I like your evaluation a lot, well done. I can totally see the Bears in the playoff picture, and if some of their FA signings/draft picks work out, and they get a couple of bounces going their way, they could be a real threat in the NFC North.

BTW, I really think Trestman is going to do a lot for the Bears' O, he was heads and shoulders above all but one of his CFL counterparts, over whom he was only slightly better. And while the defense may regress a little with the coaching changes, and probably needs a pretty significant overhaul in the next year or two, the offensive improvements could cover up those weak spots during the transition.


Me and you think so similarly its kind of crazy. When it comes to Bennett, the reason I think that he will work is the chemistry with the team he is already creating. He and Marshall already had a great connection before this, and he Marshall Jeffery and Rodriguez have all been training together in Miami since the signing occurred. Plus I think we can agree that Bennett is a better athlete, and has had more expectations then Boss and Ballard.

When it comes to the line I do think it is pretty close it just all depends on how Kromer works with them. The fact that he is known for his line capabilities and has a great connection with Bushrod already I feel will help the line as a whole. (Its hard not for us Bears fans to get excited about the best line weve had since 06)

As far as CBs, I do agree that you guys are much deeper then we are, its just hard not to like having both of the Pro Bowl Starting CBs be on the Bears lol.

And to address your other points about the receivers, I agree with you. I fully admit that my thoughts are pure homerism, but I guess I have my reasons. The main reason is the fact that I watched Jeffery his last two seasons of college and wanted him more than Ive wanted any receiver recently. I just think he has all the potential to be special. When it comes to Earl Bennett, I dont think he will ever be great, I just think he has the components to be a very solid slot receiver if we use him correctly.

The thing that I agree with you 10000% percent is what you said about Emery. I think it is going to be the most exciting offense I have ever seen out of the Bears in my lifetime (Im 21) and I think having an offensive mind like his might really turn Cutler into a great QB and maybe one day even Elite. I also agree that the defense will regress a bit, but I feel like our offense will make up for their problems.

Once again, I never had any intentions of causing problems on another teams forum, but when I saw some people saying we would only win 5 or 6 games, it just really irked me and I needed to voice my opinion. Good luck to both teams, I hope we both do well.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GoodAsGould13


Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 94
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HyponGrey wrote:
The only other thing I can add, is that the bulk of our offseason signings will happen in the space of 3 days (if you catch my drift Laughing) and I'm positive we differ in our expectations of who will do better with those signings.


hahah yup I know that completely. Thats why is emphasized so far lol. I know you guys always focus on that, it is just very refreshing as a Bears fan to have a GM that will actually go out and address our problems rather then sit on his hands and save money.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35188
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
Before you go and say that Mel Tucker was part of the worst pass rushing groups in the NFL, go ahead and check the players on the defensive line of the Jaguars, and the Bears and compare them... I have full confidence that we will have no problem with the pass rush with Peppers, Melton, Wooton, and not to mention that someone like DJ Williams is leaps and bounds a better pass rusher than Urlacher.


How many pass rushers did the Jaguars invest while Mel Tucker was defensive coordinator? Three. And that doesn't even count the two pass rushers they drafted early in 2008 that Mel Tucker got virtually nothing out of. Yes, those aren't as good as Julius Peppers but if he can't turn any young talent and turn him into a pass rusher, how's he going to develop another pass rusher opposite of Peppers to keep teams from doubling him? He hasn't produced a very good pass rush. You can blame the "lack" of talent he had, but the fact is he hasn't really produced.


Quote:
You CANNOT at all take into account the Bears PAST draft history. That was all because of Angelo and Lovie, so you can not in any way compare that to Emery and Trestman.


Absolutely I can. You still feel the effects of the draft several years later. The Bears drafting history has been poor to say the least.


Quote:
I can see our defense maybe have a little regression, but in no way does it account for 5 or 6 more losses like some of you are proclaiming.

I see our offense being MUCH greater this year and that will will everything out. Last time I checked, you guys didnt have the greatest defense either...

As I said before, every weakness we had, we addressed and have provided depth. I dont see up only getting 5 or 6 wins this season just because we changed coaches.


When did I ever say they'd regress by 5 or 6 losses? Please do tell me. Honestly, I think they're a 7-10 win team. But do tell me where I said they were going to lose 5 or 6 more games because I'm confident I didn't.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35188
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
But lets compare positions and see how we stack up.

QB- Easily Packers
WR- Close but slight edge to Packers
RB- Easily Bears
TE- With how Finley played last year, and you losing Crabtree I give Bears the slight edge.
FB- Packers
O-Line- Bears

Defense.

Linebackers- Packers
Safties- Pretty Close, Ill say Packers
CBs- Bears easily
D-Line- Close, but I say Bears

Special Teams- Bears
Coaching- Packers


Pretty even in my opinion, but I know the Packers right now are the better team.


No, just no.

QB - Packers
RB - Bears
FB - Packers
WR - Wash
TE - Wash
OL - Packers

DL - Bears
LB - Packers
CB - Packers
S - Wash

ST - Bears

First off, outside of LT where do the Bears have better than the Packers? TJ Lang and Josh Sitton are better than James Brown and Gabe Carimi. EDS and Robert Garza are a wash, and Bryan Bulaga is considerably better than J'Marcus Webb. Ergo, the Packers OLine is better than the Bears OLine.

WR/CB, this is where depth comes into play. With this being a passing league, and 3 WR formations are the foundation of most passing attacks you really need 3 or 4 CB. After their starters, whose really capable? Bowman? Packers are deeper than the Bears. Same thing with the wide receivers. Cobb and Marshall are wash, and assuming Jeffrey can take that big step then he and Nelson are a wash. Personally, I don't see that huge jump. And then Jones and Bennett? Bennett isn't as talented as James Jones. But I'll say WR are a wash anyways.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
GoodAsGould13


Joined: 24 Feb 2013
Posts: 94
Location: Lake in the Hills, IL
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CWood21 wrote:
GoodAsGould13 wrote:
But lets compare positions and see how we stack up.

QB- Easily Packers
WR- Close but slight edge to Packers
RB- Easily Bears
TE- With how Finley played last year, and you losing Crabtree I give Bears the slight edge.
FB- Packers
O-Line- Bears

Defense.

Linebackers- Packers
Safties- Pretty Close, Ill say Packers
CBs- Bears easily
D-Line- Close, but I say Bears

Special Teams- Bears
Coaching- Packers


Pretty even in my opinion, but I know the Packers right now are the better team.


No, just no.

QB - Packers
RB - Bears
FB - Packers
WR - Wash
TE - Wash
OL - Packers

DL - Bears
LB - Packers
CB - Packers
S - Wash

ST - Bears

First off, outside of LT where do the Bears have better than the Packers? TJ Lang and Josh Sitton are better than James Brown and Gabe Carimi. EDS and Robert Garza are a wash, and Bryan Bulaga is considerably better than J'Marcus Webb. Ergo, the Packers OLine is better than the Bears OLine.

WR/CB, this is where depth comes into play. With this being a passing league, and 3 WR formations are the foundation of most passing attacks you really need 3 or 4 CB. After their starters, whose really capable? Bowman? Packers are deeper than the Bears. Same thing with the wide receivers. Cobb and Marshall are wash, and assuming Jeffrey can take that big step then he and Nelson are a wash. Personally, I don't see that huge jump. And then Jones and Bennett? Bennett isn't as talented as James Jones. But I'll say WR are a wash anyways.


I can already tell you are the type of person who thinks they are always right so I am not even going to try.

If you see my other posts, I said that for CB Packers are much deeper, but the Bears have two of the tops CB in the league so thats why I chose them. Saying that Marshall and Cobb is a wash basically saying they are equal is laughable to me. Marshall is a top 3 WR in this league while Cobb is Top 15-top 10. And also if you read my posts, I said my view on the WR are bias and a bit homerish. I remember all season hearing Packers fans complaining that they have the worst line in the NFL and now when I say the Bears is just a little better people stand up for them again.

And just to clarify, I never said YOU were the one who said they would win 5 to 6 games, I said people on here have.

Just my opinion, but I think that a Mod making a thread like this is kind of classless. I mean you never know what can happen and mocking a team with a thread like this is just not something I would expect a mod to create. Who knows, Aaron Rodgers could get hurt in the preseason and you guys could end up only winning 5 games. Not saying that I want that at all, because I actually want all teams in this division to flourish and become better so it will be known as the best division in the league. Like I said, just an opinion, but everyone is different.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
CWood21


Moderator
Joined: 27 Jun 2008
Posts: 35188
Location: 'Merica
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
I can already tell you are the type of person who thinks they are always right so I am not even going to try.


That's a cop out for this debate and you know it. If you can't have a bit of healthy debate, you're in the wrong place. I know that isn't the case. So...let's get back to the topic at hand.


GoodAsGould13 wrote:
If you see my other posts, I said that for CB Packers are much deeper, but the Bears have two of the tops CB in the league so thats why I chose them. Saying that Marshall and Cobb is a wash basically saying they are equal is laughable to me. Marshall is a top 3 WR in this league while Cobb is Top 15-top 10. And also if you read my posts, I said my view on the WR are bias and a bit homerish. I remember all season hearing Packers fans complaining that they have the worst line in the NFL and now when I say the Bears is just a little better people stand up for them again.


I'm not disagreeing that Peanut/Jennings are probably better than any two cornerbacks the Packers can throw out, but it's the sum of all of them that gives the Packers the edge IMO. You're seeing a league that is becoming extremely passing oriented where your nickelback is essentially another starter for all intents and purposes. You can disagree all you want, but the fact of the matter is that 3 WR sets are becoming a staple of just about everyone's offenses. Even offenses that were primarily run first and foremost are opening up their offensive playbooks. Hell, look no further than your Bears if you need more proof. And not using the injury excuse, but what about depth behind your two big guys should they miss some time? Do you really trust DJ Moore (who I believe is listed as your dimeback, but please correct me if I'm wrong) to pick up the slack? Personally, I'd rather have Davon House and/or Jarrett Bush. And then the whole Heyward >>> Bowman. Yes, the Bears starting CB are probably better right now but age isn't on their side and the depth is on the Packers side.

In what world is Brandon Marshall a top 3 WR? Did Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, and AJ Green all just disappear off the face of the earth? Those four are all CLEARLY better than Brandon Marshall. And then you get into the slew of receivers where it becomes pick your favorite/which one fits in your scheme the best with guys like Vincent Jackson, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Julio Jones, etc. I'd really love to know what makes Brandon Marshall a top 3 WR. I'm a big fan of Marshall's game, but don't mistake him being force fed the ball as an indication he's a top 3 receiver. And if you said your views are bias on the wide receivers, why didn't you recuse yourself from making an opinion. It doesn't help your argument.

And most of the issues with the offensive line could be boiled down to two facts. Marshall Newhouse is a below-average LT, and the injuries took their toll on the offensive line. Bryan Bulaga, who was a top 5 RT the year before, only played in 9 games this season before he was IRed and a rookie offensive lineman replaced him at RT. Jeff Saturday, who was signed to replace one of the more underrated players in the league Scott Wells, looked like he had aged about ten years from the last few years in Indianapolis. And then Derek Sherrod, that a lot thought could solidify the LT spot, wasn't able to play at all last year as he was recovering from that horrible injury.



Quote:
Just my opinion, but I think that a Mod making a thread like this is kind of classless. I mean you never know what can happen and mocking a team with a thread like this is just not something I would expect a mod to create. Who knows, Aaron Rodgers could get hurt in the preseason and you guys could end up only winning 5 games. Not saying that I want that at all, because I actually want all teams in this division to flourish and become better so it will be known as the best division in the league. Like I said, just an opinion, but everyone is different.


Feel free to contact a Global Mod or even Webby if you feel this is an inappropriate title. It was created to spur discussion. The Vikings were thought to have over-achieved last year, it was a question to see how others thought the Vikings were going to end up with win wise. It wasn't meant to mock the Vikings, so not sure where that's coming from. And absolutely, Rodgers could get hurt and the Packers only end up winning 5 games. Still doesn't change my opinion that the Packers will win the NFC North based on some simple theory. And I'd say the NFC North is amongst the better divisions in football. Three teams with at least 10 wins, and two of them were in the playoffs. That's pretty darn good if you ask me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
HyponGrey


Joined: 23 Jun 2012
Posts: 3727
Location: Down the road from NFL Films
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
northernpackfan wrote:


There were a few interesting assessments you made that I don't necessarily agree with. First, while I like Bennett, and think he could be a stud if used properly, I'm leery of the NYG TEs. In 2010, Kevin Boss was their receiving TE, and they let him walk in FA, and he hasn't been heard of since. In 2011, Jake Ballard was their top TE, and while NE scooped him from waivers, he hasn't been able to come back from his injury, and therefore is a non-factor. In 2012, it was Martellus Bennett's year in NY. Will he be able to put up another productive year outside of the Big Apple? Nobody knows yet, but NYG TE trends don't suggest so.

In terms of the OL, I think you need to break them down two ways. Chicago's line is better at run blocking, but the Packers' line is, IMO, slightly better in pass protection, not that either line was anything to write home about in 2012. Therefore, while I would agree that the overall edge goes to the Bears, I think it is only by a slight margin.

Again, as far as the CBs go, I agree with your assessment that the Bears' CBs are better, but I don't think it is by as much as you attest. I'd say because of the Packers' depth and youth, the Bears are not better easily, they are just better.

Other than those 3 points, and your WR claim, which I will address in a separate post, I like your evaluation a lot, well done. I can totally see the Bears in the playoff picture, and if some of their FA signings/draft picks work out, and they get a couple of bounces going their way, they could be a real threat in the NFC North.

BTW, I really think Trestman is going to do a lot for the Bears' O, he was heads and shoulders above all but one of his CFL counterparts, over whom he was only slightly better. And while the defense may regress a little with the coaching changes, and probably needs a pretty significant overhaul in the next year or two, the offensive improvements could cover up those weak spots during the transition.


Me and you think so similarly its kind of crazy. When it comes to Bennett, the reason I think that he will work is the chemistry with the team he is already creating. He and Marshall already had a great connection before this, and he Marshall Jeffery and Rodriguez have all been training together in Miami since the signing occurred. Plus I think we can agree that Bennett is a better athlete, and has had more expectations then Boss and Ballard.

When it comes to the line I do think it is pretty close it just all depends on how Kromer works with them. The fact that he is known for his line capabilities and has a great connection with Bushrod already I feel will help the line as a whole. (Its hard not for us Bears fans to get excited about the best line weve had since 06)

And to address your other points about the receivers, I agree with you. I fully admit that my thoughts are pure homerism, but I guess I have my reasons. The main reason is the fact that I watched Jeffery his last two seasons of college and wanted him more than Ive wanted any receiver recently. I just think he has all the potential to be special. When it comes to Earl Bennett, I dont think he will ever be great, I just think he has the components to be a very solid slot receiver if we use him correctly.
Cobb has the clear lean on Bennett, and Jones over Jefferey. Marshall over Nelson is really your only advantage at WR.

Bushrod is only a slight improvement over Webb. Even with his "Chemistry with Kromer" he only got saved by Brees' quick release. I'm not convinced he's not just as bad as Newhouse. Moot point since Bulaga and Sitton trump your line by themselves, even with the Slauson addition.
_________________
justo wrote:
Bostick drove a guy 12 yards and finished off with a pancake and I'm not sure where my pants went.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KManX89


Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 1742
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoodAsGould13 wrote:
Ketchup wrote:
GoodAsGould13 wrote:
My whole point with my original post was that there is no way we are only winning 5 or 6 games like some of you think. We have done much more this offseason so far than the Packers have done, and I think the changes we have made to the O-Line alone will make us a better team then last year.
Signing free agents doesn't make your team automatically better especially when you over pay for an average T like Bushrod. Bushrod is going to get torn apart just like he did in NO. The only signing that I consider as a major upgrade is Bennett at TE.

As for the Packers, we don't sign free agents. We just don't. They hardly ever live up to the contracts they get. We are getting better though simply by getting healthy. Desmond Bishop missed all of lat year and is EASILY our best ILB. Nick Perry, our rookie 1st round pass rusher, is coming back healthy after being placed on IR after week 6. Derek Sherrod should also finally be healthy after his broken leg. Just those three players gives us a starting ILB, starting OLB and legit competition for starting LT.

That all doesn't even mention that we always do the most damage during the draft and signing UDFA's.


Signing a tackle who has been to back to back pro bowls is in my opinion a MAJOR upgrade to what weve had in the past. Sure, he wasnt the best FA tackle, but he was one of the better ones and he has a great connection with Kromer already and seeing as what our cap space was, I think it was a perfect signing. Also signing Slausen today upgrades our O-line exponentially.

We were weak at O-line- Signed 3 offensive lineman.

We were weak at LB so we signed 2 decent Linebackers.

I know you guys always do your work in the draft and never focus on FA thats why I emphasized SO FAR.

Do you yourself believe that the Bear will only win 5 or 6 games


Fair enough, but like you and others said, we're a D&D team, so it pretty much goes without saying that we haven't made any improvements to our roster YET.

As far as which teams will finish where this year, I suspect you guys will improve next year while Minnesota will probably regress a little. I don't expect AP to repeat last year's performance and as we all know, they're a much worse team when AP isn't playing otherworldly (and by that, I mean rushing for over 200 yards a game).

PS, losing Crabtree is no big loss since he's just a blocking TE, and we still got D.J. Williams on the roster, and will be getting Quarless back. Hopefully we can replace him with Kelce or Eifert for a dangerous 2 TE set with Finley. Both can catch the ball AND block.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
justo


Joined: 05 Aug 2012
Posts: 13093
PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Jason Hanson played 21 seasons in the NFL, all in the same division as the Packers, but he never won a single game at Lambeau Field."
_________________
Pugger wrote:
Pugger? Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Green Bay Packers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 97, 98, 99  Next
Page 7 of 99

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group