Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

crazy idea, how crazy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoorah_09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: crazy idea, how crazy? Reply with quote

ok, now i know we have other needs more important than a WR….but I was thinking… (getting a little bored with the browns right now as we all are) If we trade back in the draft, pick up a second rounder, than use that first round pick to get victor cruz and front load his contract bc the giants cant afford it, and….we can haha. he would be better than anyone we'd get in the first round anyways…

Thoughts?
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few problems.

1. Isn't there a time frame of when we would have to send in an offer for Cruz?

2. Why does everyone think its so easy to trade down?

Essentially, you expect a team to trade up with us before the draft to a spot where they won't even know who is or isn't available, in a draft that lacks superstar top end talent, then send that lower first round pick we received for Victor Cruz and hope the Giants don't match it.

I don't think this idea is crazy. I simply don't think it would ever ever happen.
whoorah_09

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, i never remember the rules as far as what you can do and when, and I know its not easy to trade down, but its just nice to think about things like this…and actually have intelligent conversations with ppl who know what they are talking about.
KamTrus20

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we traded back and wanted to go the WR route I would prefer we took Tavon Austin. Everytime I watched him he blew my doors off with his athletic ability and openfield creativity. I don't know a lot of what to look for in a WR to tell if he can succeed at the NFL level so I cannot speak to much about how he will pan out. He is crazy quick and it seems every other talent evaluator out there is speaking highly of him.

We can attack deep with Gordon and Benji, stretch the seems with Cameron, physically beat them up with Trent Richardson on the ground and Greg Little through the air and then when the defense is on its heels to protect deep and beaten up by Little and T-Rich boom hit them with the electricity.

Jamison on the sig
bulldog

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KamTrus20 wrote:
If we traded back and wanted to go the WR route I would prefer we took Tavon Austin. Everytime I watched him he blew my doors off with his athletic ability and openfield creativity. I don't know a lot of what to look for in a WR to tell if he can succeed at the NFL level so I cannot speak to much about how he will pan out. He is crazy quick and it seems every other talent evaluator out there is speaking highly of him.

We can attack deep with Gordon and Benji, stretch the seems with Cameron, physically beat them up with Trent Richardson on the ground and Greg Little through the air and then when the defense is on its heels to protect deep and beaten up by Little and T-Rich boom hit them with the electricity.

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to WR's, but there's one thing I've always noticed about the good ones.

They have a huge catching radius. And catch with their hands

The guys that can jump and bend their bodies in crazy ways and catch the ball fully extended and make it look effortless.

I think this concept applies to CB's as well when it comes to batting passes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijQF2rwX_4

Its one of the bigger things I look for.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bulldog wrote:
KamTrus20 wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to WR's, but there's one thing I've always noticed about the good ones.

They have a huge catching radius. And catch with their hands

The guys that can jump and bend their bodies in crazy ways and catch the ball fully extended and make it look effortless.

I think this concept applies to CB's as well when it comes to batting passes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lijQF2rwX_4

Its one of the bigger things I look for.

There is only so much space on the field, and Austin occupies relatively little of it.

There are many routes on a tree, and Austin runs only a handful of them.

In this vertical offense, I just don't see the need for a 1st round WR who has made a name for himself getting the ball close to the line of scrimmage. There are speedy RBs who can do that same role you would draft Austin for available on day 3 of the draft. No need to blow your wad on a limited role player in round 1.

Also, I just don't want the Browns to be the team to hold the distinction of drafting the shortest WR in the 1st round ever. Especially after drafting the oldest QB in the 1st round ever.

Austin's skillset would lend itself nicely to Houston's offense, and more specifically, Matt Schaub's arm. I think that's his most likely landing spot.

P.S. Love the Throwback Thursday video. Haden is a bad, bad man. The one-handed INT 19' away was unbelievable.
ditchdigger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost forgot about the OP's question.

Too crazy. It's bat turd crazy.

Best just to wait a year if you really want to get a shot at Cruz. Doubt that he'd sign in Cleveland, though.
duke2056

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure if you do this the 1st has to be YOUR OWN 1st, otherwise every team that wanted to do this would just trade down to the lowest 1st they could get.

Zero chance the Browns draft a QB at pick 4, or trade up for a QB.

And Matt Ryan is so great he has one playoff win.
Thomas5737

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duke2056 wrote:
Pretty sure if you do this the 1st has to be YOUR OWN 1st, otherwise every team that wanted to do this would just trade down to the lowest 1st they could get.

I think it has to be your own pick or higher, but yeah.
Dropkick_pride

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trade down for a 1st and 2nd round pick...

use the 1st to steal Cruz...

use the 2nd to steal Pitta....

Laughing if it were only that easy. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dropkick_pride wrote:
trade down for a 1st and 2nd round pick...

use the 1st to steal Cruz...

use the 2nd to steal Pitta....

Laughing

You forgot the last two steps... ????, Profit!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Cleveland Browns All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: