Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

We need a 49ers 1981 approach to our secondary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doc Draper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: We need a 49ers 1981 approach to our secondary Reply with quote

in 1981 Head Coach and Offensive Guru Walsh realized the 49ers needed defense and resisted drafting a number of highly touted offensive players. We need a 49ers 1981 draft this year.

In 1981 they took Ronnie Lott (1), a DL that was a bust in the 2nd, Eric Wright in the 2nd, Carlton Williamson in the 3rd and teamed these three rookies with a little used veteran who got cut from the Lions a few years earlier Dwight Hicks and had spot duty for the 49ers.

We need this approach. We need to take the best 3-4 CB and S that are on the board before we select anything else. I dont care if a WR like Williams from Baylor drops to us. Even if this means even passing up my favorite player would have an very small chance of dropping to us the LB from K State, we got to fix the secondary.

I could envision we could start the season with a starting secondary of T J McDonald at Free Safety, Meriweather at Strong Safety, Amerson at CB, and Leon McFadden at CB. In reality they would probably have Wilson start the season as starting CB but would move to the third CB by mid season. Backups would be Crawford and Minnefield and S Bernstein and good ole slow but consistent Doughty.
killacam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: We need a 49ers 1981 approach to our secondary Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:
in 1981 Head Coach and Offensive Guru Walsh realized the 49ers needed defense and resisted drafting a number of highly touted offensive players. We need a 49ers 1981 draft this year.

In 1981 they took Ronnie Lott (1), a DL that was a bust in the 2nd, Eric Wright in the 2nd, Carlton Williamson in the 3rd and teamed these three rookies with a little used veteran who got cut from the Lions a few years earlier Dwight Hicks and had spot duty for the 49ers.

We need this approach. We need to take the best 3-4 CB and S that are on the board before we select anything else. I dont care if a WR like Williams from Baylor drops to us. Even if this means even passing up my favorite player would have an very small chance of dropping to us the LB from K State, we got to fix the secondary.

I could envision we could start the season with a starting secondary of T J McDonald at Free Safety, Meriweather at Strong Safety, Amerson at CB, and Leon McFadden at CB. In reality they would probably have Wilson start the season as starting CB but would move to the third CB by mid season. Backups would be Crawford and Minnefield and S Bernstein and good ole slow but consistent Doughty.

Im down!! sign me up!! i love the draft you project!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: We need a 49ers 1981 approach to our secondary Reply with quote

Doc Draper wrote:

i'm down for addressing the secondary with the 2nd and 3rd round picks and possibly one more late round pick. It's not the only place we need youth at though. Young Ilb, OLB, and another Tackle prospect is needed, if Davis doesn't come back another young TE could be chosen or RB.

Also, I don't see us getting rid of Josh Wilson, Josh was average last year but outside of a few plays where he got burnt bad he was mostly solid. Gomes will be back unless we like Pugh or someone we draft or pick up as a reserve better. Gomes is only 23 years old, he can only improve. Justin Pugh is only 25 and will only get better.

Bernstine is coming off a horrific knee/leg injury, safe to say he'll be a good candidate for physically unable to perform list (PUP) or even IR, possibly Minifield also.

I really don't see any rookie we take in round 2 or 3 coming in and taking a job away from Wilson and probably not Biggers either. Biggers and Wilson are in their prime, can improve still and were average last year, but a whole lot better than cbs like DeAngelo hall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
21 ALL THE WAY

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After playing the draft game in another thread, I'm a lil more confident we may be able to get us so quality guys in the draft to help fix our flaws. Yes I know the game is not reality, but with some trade downs we can come of the draft quite a few steals. Not all teams need to address there Secondary like we do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good pass rush makes any secondary look good. Yes we need some new bodies in the secondary, but shouldn't completely ignore other positions. We need to add some young athletic pass rushers to our front 7.

Thanks to mike23md for the sig

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Washington Redskins All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: