You are currently viewing the old forums. We have upgraded to a new NFL Forum.
This old forum is being left as a read-only archive.
Please update your bookmarks to our new forum at forums.footballsfuture.com.

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Jesse Williams

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SMPLS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Jesse Williams Reply with quote

Hi board. Long time no see. I currently have a man crush on Jesse Williams. Assuming that either Austin/Patterson/Rhodes/Cooper don't fall for need value reasons, I would like the Purple to take him at 23 then go BPA at 25.

With the opinion of Mr. Cosell supporting my position: http://media22.podbean.com/pb/3ebdba4421b7e52021e0a71c863de89b/5160397f/data/blogs25/329295/uploads/GregCosellDraftDT4513.mp3

You're thought?
BadgerBoy001

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Jesse Williams Reply with quote

SMPLS wrote:
Hi board. Long time no see. I currently have a man crush on Jesse Williams. Assuming that either Austin/Patterson/Rhodes/Cooper don't fall for need value reasons, I would like the Purple to take him at 23 then go BPA at 25.

With the opinion of Mr. Cosell supporting my position: http://media22.podbean.com/pb/3ebdba4421b7e52021e0a71c863de89b/5160397f/data/blogs25/329295/uploads/GregCosellDraftDT4513.mp3

You're thought?

I wouldn't love it, but I wouldn't have a huge problem. Could be pat Williams 2.0
CriminalMind

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fair amount of prospects I would prefer over him with the 1st round picks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No thanks. You can get a DT of the same value at the bottom of the second. With the way that we rotate our D linemen we shouldn't spend a high pick on a player who is strictly a NT and will only be a two down player. If we take a DT in the first he should be able to take over for Kevin Williams.
Freakout

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I view Williams as a 3-4 DE / NT. Using him pretty much the same way that he was used at Alabama. If we were a team needing that type of player I would have no trouble taking him in the first round.

He is a space eater that will occupy two lineman without being pushed around. He is not very good at disengaging and making tackles. He had 37 tackles last season, only 7 of them were solo tackles. Compare that to John Jenkins who was used in a similar role at Georgia. Jenkins had 50 tackles, 22 of them were solo.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mind Jesse Williams of the bigger one technique players, simply because he is exceptionally strong and possess very nice athleticism.

He is knocked for not being much of a pass rusher, but that can largely be the fault of the scheme he played in. The Nick Saban 3-4 relies heavily on a NT who takes up blocks.

Put him in a scheme like the Vikings, I think he would have a better reputation of being a pass rusher simply because of his strength and quickness.

I am intrigued by him and of the likely first round DTs, he is probably my favorite.

I guess i dont see him as simply a big bodied space eater, I think he can be more than that in the right scheme.

But again, any rookie DT added will probably be a 20-25 snap per game player at best. Why use a first on that.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love Jesse Williams on this team.

He is pure power, with surprisingly quick feet and good athleticism for his size. And like someone else said, he's a space eater and will command the double team, which is exactly what this defense needs. No matter who the team drafts to be the middle linebacker, they need to get that big d-lineman in front to keep the blockers away from the second level.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
I dont mind Jesse Williams of the bigger one technique players, simply because he is exceptionally strong and possess very nice athleticism.

He is knocked for not being much of a pass rusher, but that can largely be the fault of the scheme he played in. The Nick Saban 3-4 relies heavily on a NT who takes up blocks.

Put him in a scheme like the Vikings, I think he would have a better reputation of being a pass rusher simply because of his strength and quickness.

I am intrigued by him and of the likely first round DTs, he is probably my favorite.

I guess i dont see him as simply a big bodied space eater, I think he can be more than that in the right scheme.

But again, any rookie DT added will probably be a 20-25 snap per game player at best. Why use a first on that.

THIS. IMO Williams is more versatile than he's been getting credit for. He played a ton of 5-tech end as a junior and was primarily asked to eat blockers as a SR. I agree that the Vikings could get a 2 down NT in R2 of this draft, but guys with William up-side are not always available and almost never in the 20s. I've been in love with him for months, but don't take my word for it. Greg Cosell likes him more than Star.
Zephiel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesse Williams reminds me of Pat Williams. He would be a good fit on this team, but not in the first round.

DTs are going to fall because there's more supply than demand, and there will be better ones than him at 23/25. I really think we could get Williams in Round 2. Tackles with little to no pass rushing ability don't get taken early, like Brandon Thompson last year.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zephiel wrote:
Jesse Williams reminds me of Pat Williams. He would be a good fit on this team, but not in the first round.

DTs are going to fall because there's more supply than demand, and there will be better ones than him at 23/25. I really think we could get Williams in Round 2. Tackles with little to no pass rushing ability don't get taken early, like Brandon Thompson last year.

But his lack of pass rushing ability more indicative of his skill or the scheme he was in. Physically, I think he can be a viable pass rusher from the one technique spot if he isnt asked to play over the Center like he did in a 3-4.

I think John Jenkins is more similar to Pat Williams than Jesse Williams is.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Zephiel wrote:

But his lack of pass rushing ability more indicative of his skill or the scheme he was in. Physically, I think he can be a viable pass rusher from the one technique spot if he isnt asked to play over the Center like he did in a 3-4.

I think John Jenkins is more similar to Pat Williams than Jesse Williams is.

We are on the same page. Williams is far more athletic that your average run-stuffer. IMO: Williams' floor is Casey Hampton and his ceiling is an Australian/non-turd Albert Haynesworth.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: