Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hoping Jarvis is average
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SteelProven

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
SteelProven wrote:
Jones on film shows his skill set isn't completely refined, so his strength a POA in the run can be help with some coaching. The Steelers need a pass rusher and as long as Jones shows effort aginst the run I'm good with that.

My biggest concern is one I mentioned before and that's age. Jarvis Jones signs a 4 year deal at the end of that deal he'll be 28 yrs old heading into his 29th bday. Meaning just into two contracts the Steelers could be in the same position as they were with Harrison. Jones will be 24 yrs old this season.

The one plus I believe you really have to consider is the read option offense. J. Jones quickness out side of his strength will be a asset. He's very good at making plays through trash. He identifies the ball carrier and makes plays.

40 times for me aren't highly valued when it comes to my evalutions of players in the front 7. I'm more concerned with there splits and explosion drills.

His age does not bother me at all. I look at it this way, if we were to draft him and sign him to a 4 year deal, we would most likely give him a contract extention after his 3rd year. At this time he would be close to turning 27. If we give him a 5 year deal he would finish that deal at close to 32 years old. At this point we would have 8 years of service from him and could reassess the situation. Even if we did not get another year out of him I would be happy with 8 years as long as they he was an impact player. I mean no one is complaining about Deebo who only started for 6 years.

Harrison being as good as he was came from a shot in the dark. His age isn't he biggest negative it's just a negative for me. Especially if by chance he doesn't beat out Worilds gets injured anything that could hold him back. Which in the end doesn't give the Steelers full usage of his abilities.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its true. Let's say I have an inside source.

I'm not disregarding your opinion onJarvis Jones, he's good, yes I know but understand this... How Steelers operate; they draft not for present but rather 5 years later. Normal expectation for each class is 2-4 starters/ good playing time. When Lebeau hang up his cleats (and he will) Butler is going to play one-gap attack. That's why Ziggy Hood and Cameron Heyward both are here to stay. Both who may either not getting enough playing time or in wrong scheme but they aren't going anywhere. This is a financial situation for the Steelers. As we are in a rather, "recession" cap, they wil retain hood andheyward both before the switch of scheme like how 49ers did it.

Monetarily, we are at advantage because Colbert and Khan both see to its end of benefit, and at end of the long string, its becoming more solid compared to rusty in the middle.

One negative aspect of this strategy; availability.

Will those kind of players become available via free agency? Nfl draft? Talents aren't surplus and they are indeed in a high demand. It seem complicated at first but truthfully, it is simple as it is complicated.

As for Jarvis Jones, he is a good player but he doesn't fit our map for next 5 years. The sacks total were low because of two only things; surgence of Cortez Allen and. How we employs d-linemen. Not saying its not working but it ain't broke. You play your best 11 men on field, not 11 positional men.
Ward4HOF

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gatoradus wrote:
Its true. Let's say I have an inside source.

As for Jarvis Jones, he is a good player but he doesn't fit our map for next 5 years. The sacks total were low because of two only things; surgence of Cortez Allen and. How we employs d-linemen. Not saying its not working but it ain't broke. You play your best 11 men on field, not 11 positional men.

Well, if you truly have an inside source, and you are sure that Jones doesn't fit in to our "map for the next 5 years", who are we seriously considering in the 1st, then? I'm all ears!

But if Jones is there at 17, I as a fan, will be hoping they take him over Moore, Vacarro, Mingo, Eifert or Rhodes.

If they choose Allen or Patterson, then I'd be fine, I guess, but not many others excite me more than Jones (hubba hubba.. Drool )

Props to Jamison on the sweet sig!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: