Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Hoping Jarvis is average
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Hoping Jarvis is average Reply with quote

I am really hoping that Jarvis Jones has an average 40 time and good but not great combine performance. I believe this is the only way the Steelers will have a shot at Jones since all the medical reports I am hearing are positive. The most recent report that came out stated that he might not have even had spinal stenosis.

If he comes out and runs a sub 4.6 forty, he is a top 5 pick. I want to see a number around 4.65 to 4.75. I think if he runs in that range we have a chance at him. To me it doesn't matter how slow his forty is or how many reps he does on the bench. I've seen all I need on tape. He was the best passrusher in college football for two years straight, while playing in the SEC. He even seems to have a a little nastiness to him. If he did dop all the way to 17 I think he would have a big chip on his shoulder to tear the NFL up and prove how good he is.

This was a pipe dream until about a month ago. Now it looks as if it could be a reality. I am even willing to trade our 3rd to move up if our team is 100% confident in Jones medical. For me Jarvis is the 2nd best 3-4 OLB prospect to come out of college the last 5 years (If medical is not an issue).

Here are my rankings of 3-4 OLB prospects coming out in the last 5 years:

1. Von Miller
2. Jarvis Jones
3. Brian Orakpo
4. Aldon Smith
5. Melvin Ingram
6. Aaron Maybin
7. Brandon Graham
8. Brian Cushing
9. Courtney Upshaw
10. Ryan Kerrigan

This list for them is at the time of the draft not counting what we've seen in their careers to this point.

Last edited by rollins on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hoping Jarvis is average Reply with quote

I was going to call you insane until I read the last sentence. But my major concern about Jones is how effective he can be against the run.
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hoping Jarvis is average Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
I was going to call you insane until I read the last sentence. But my major concern about Jones is how effective he can be against the run.

yeah that list would look totally different if we counted what they have been in the NFL lol.

I don't have as much of a concern about his play against the run since most of these top pass rushers struggle against the run. Jordan, Mingo, and most OLB prospects struggle against the run coming out of college (probably more than Jones and yet where not have as good against the pass). You don't get James Harrisons every day. He would be our ROLB anyway not a LOLB so its a little less concerning.

Last edited by rollins on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
at23steelers

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Hoping Jarvis is average Reply with quote

rollins wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

yeah that list would look totally different if we counted what they have been in the NFL lol.

I don't have as much of a concern about his play against the run since most of these top pass rushers struggle against the run. Jordan, Mingo, and most OLB prospects struggle against the run coming out of college (probably more than Jones and yet where not have as good against the pass). You don't get James Harrisons every day. He would be our ROLB anyway not a LOLB so its a little less cocerning.

Where would you have Worilds (as backup) and Woodley line up??
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Hoping Jarvis is average Reply with quote

at23steelers wrote:
rollins wrote:
wwhickok wrote:

I don't have as much of a concern about his play against the run since most of these top pass rushers struggle against the run. Jordan, Mingo, and most OLB prospects struggle against the run coming out of college (probably more than Jones and yet where not have as good against the pass). You don't get James Harrisons every day. He would be our ROLB anyway not a LOLB so its a little less cocerning.

Where would you have Worilds (as backup) and Woodley line up??

Woodley would star where he has always played on the left side and Worilds and Jones would battle to start on the right side. I don't understand why that was even a question.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

no shuttle i can find yet.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
stefan52268

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

So will he take a fall like Damontre Moore?

Props to Lyasr529 on the sweet sig!
JLambert58

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

Looks like it. Welcome to Pittsburgh, Mr. Jones. Wink
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stefan52268 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

honestly, no. And im no longer sure that Moore will fall much either. Not a lot of Defensive players in this.draft have stood out. The ones that did will go.first. After that itll be the best of the average and I think Moore and Jones couod be at the top of that list.
JLambert58

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
stefan52268 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

honestly, no. And im no longer sure that Moore will fall much either. Not a lot of Defensive players in this.draft have stood out. The ones that did will go.first. After that itll be the best of the average and I think Moore and Jones couod be at the top of that list.

Those are pedestrian numbers. I would expect he falls out of the top 10, and if so, you never know how it plays out from there.
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

I love this, we have a very good chance of seeing him available at our pick. This just made my day. I didn't think there was any chance he ran less than a 4.70 but like I said in the 1st post IDC what his measurables were becuase I saw him dominate the best conference in college football for two straight years.

He is still my NUMBER 1 PROSPECT if the medical checks out
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said he had a leg problem. i would still trust film more than combine numbers. Moore and jones have put up some good film. Jones can't stop the run but neither can Ware.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
rollins

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
stefan52268 wrote:
jebrick wrote:
Jones was very average

4.85 40,
30.5 vertical,
8'7 / 9'3" long,
7.45 3-cone,
20 reps,

I hope Moore doesn't fall. I want him to go as early as possible to ensure the steelers do not take him. I hate him as a prospect.

But I feel that both of these players probably will fall. As much as teams say that the combine doesn't matter, numbers like Jones and Moore have put up will definitley affect their draft stock. I use the eye test and thats why Jones' numbers don't bother me but Moore's do. It's not about how many sacks they have, it's how they got them. Jones has plenty of sacks where he flat out beats a LT or is so fast off the ball noone had a chance to touch him. Moore has a lot of sacks that were coverage sacks. He just doesn't have the explosivness or bend that I see with Jones. Also Jones spent a lot more time in coverage and standing up as opposed to Moore.
wwhickok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
They said he had a leg problem. i would still trust film more than combine numbers. Moore and jones have put up some good film. Jones can't stop the run but neither can Ware.

Are you saying you think Jones is going to.be the next DeMarcus Ware?

If thats true he is bound to.go top 10.
jebrick

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wwhickok wrote:
jebrick wrote:

Are you saying you think Jones is going to.be the next DeMarcus Ware?

If thats true he is bound to.go top 10.

He has shown athleticism that is Ware-like. I have said all along, he is a top 5-10 player based on pass rush alone. If he fell to the Steelers I would wonder if something was wrong.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: