Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Why Fluker or Cyprien is going to be our pick at 18.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 16925
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
In the past 27 years, does anyone know how many times 5 OL have gone in the top 17? Zero times. One of them will fall to us.


Yup, don't talk about any possible contingencies. That's wise.

I mean, it's not as if everyone knows we need OL, and if they want a shot at one of those top 5 guys that they'd have to trade up ahead of us to grab the last one.

What if, against all conceivable odds, someone sneaks up to 17 for the last OL, like what happened with Unger? I think that's worth discussing, even if it is unlikely.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23320
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
In the past 27 years, does anyone know how many times 5 OL have gone in the top 17? Zero times. One of them will fall to us.


Yup, don't talk about any possible contingencies. That's wise.

I mean, it's not as if everyone knows we need OL, and if they want a shot at one of those top 5 guys that they'd have to trade up ahead of us to grab the last one.

What if, against all conceivable odds, someone sneaks up to 17 for the last OL, like what happened with Unger? I think that's worth discussing, even if it is unlikely.


Because no one here has ever proposed a DT, or a S, or even a WR? In what world are we not discussing other possibilities?

The probability of a top OL not being there is small - but that in no way ensure we will take one of them even if they are available.

Just the, "they will all be selected early" discussion is premature. There is no historical evidence to back that up.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 16925
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
In the past 27 years, does anyone know how many times 5 OL have gone in the top 17? Zero times. One of them will fall to us.


Yup, don't talk about any possible contingencies. That's wise.

I mean, it's not as if everyone knows we need OL, and if they want a shot at one of those top 5 guys that they'd have to trade up ahead of us to grab the last one.

What if, against all conceivable odds, someone sneaks up to 17 for the last OL, like what happened with Unger? I think that's worth discussing, even if it is unlikely.


Because no one here has ever proposed a DT, or a S, or even a WR? In what world are we not discussing other possibilities?

The probability of a top OL not being there is small - but that in no way ensure we will take one of them even if they are available.

Just the, "they will all be selected early" discussion is premature. There is no historical evidence to back that up.


Jerry Jones had never drafted a player from Arkansas, either, but he still stuck us with Felix Jones.

The past isn't always a good predictor of the future. When I look at the big board we did as a forum, "forsaking need" as you put it, I see potential for us to be completely wiped out of all our top prospects by #18.

Maybe it's not likely, but there is definitely potential for that to happen. And it's worth discussing what we might do in that circumstance.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23320
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really am struggling to consider where you get the notion that we should not discuss the circumstances, but okay.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 16925
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I really am struggling to consider where you get the notion that we should not discuss the circumstances, but okay.


Because the premise of this thread was what we should do if no one fell to us, and your response was, "One of them will fall to us".

I don't think it's a stretch to say that based on your response, you don't think it's a topic worth discussing.

I think this is probably the most interesting and under-discussed topic at this point in the offseason. I would love to hear your thoughts on what your preference would be if scenario came to fruition.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Texas_OutLaw7


Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

Joined: 27 Mar 2005
Posts: 23320
Location: Cowboys Forum ROH Class of '12
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually responding more towards the discussion that was occurring in the second page.

I would have little problem with Cyprien, Jarvis Jones.
_________________


In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 1281
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take back what I said. I believe one of the Guards will fall to us and also have been convinced Fluker is not the guy at 18. Too slow and we need mobile lineman. However, my point is what if none of them guys fall. Then what to do and it is a good question and assuming one will is not a good idea cause if they don't then what? Gotta be ready for any situation in a draft. ( Not that were actually drafting lol )
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB champions = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
sodakcowboy78


Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 548
Location: sioux falls so dak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Dallas will have a couple of JG players in their sights and either go get them by trading up a few spots or a surprise pick at 18. I hear a lot of trade down desires but really folks...what prospect will be there at 18 that Dallas doesnt value that another team would? Although a trade back to pick up another high pick would be fine by me, i just believe Dallas goes and gets their guy like they have been doing (Dez, Lee, MO) or they stay put and pull the trigger (TSmith,Carter,Crawford)...I highly doubt a trade back. I could really see a guy like Jarvis Jones falling or even Star Lotulelei or Sharrif Floyd slipping down to a spot where it only makes sense to move up and grab one of them...something like a move up to 14 or 15 which wouldnt cost much more than a 4th rounder for a potential star player in the league for years to come. I think Dallas realizes they overvalued TSmith and could of had JJWatt which will take a guys like Cooper and LJohnson off the target list of guys to move up for (now, im not saying if they r there at 18 they dont take one of them).


Peace
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nextyearfordaboyz


Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Posts: 16925
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any regret at Valley Ranch about taking a stud left tackle who will only turn 30 in his tenth NFL season. The guy is a cornerstone. You can't have regret about that.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Justin Hoover82


Joined: 19 Jan 2013
Posts: 1281
Location: Ft.Worth Texas
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
I don't think there is any regret at Valley Ranch about taking a stud left tackle who will only turn 30 in his tenth NFL season. The guy is a cornerstone. You can't have regret about that.


^ THIS ^ Yes JJ Watt is one of maybe the best defender in football but it's hard to predict something like that. However, T.Smith is a very good NFL LT as of now and will only get better. Over the next few seasons I suspect he will become one of the best tackles in the league and be the key cog of our o-line for the next 10 yrs. If you think our o-line blows now ( which it does ) imagine how it would be without T.Smith. I can't even fathom it.
_________________
AMERICA'S TEAM and 5x SB champions = DALLAS COWBOYS!!!!!

Joe_is_the_best on the sig!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Conquest8089


Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 2679
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyron Smith was a tremendous pick & a cornerstone for the next decade. Given the teams inability to address the OL, Jerry deviating from past draft strategies & nabbing an Offensive Linemen paid major dividends.

In this draft, Cyprien is a Reach at 18. Look at the cap situation, Jerry must draft a premium position & be thrilled to have that player for 4 Years w/ an option on a completely reasonable contract. Ideally, you find a complement to DeMarcus Ware. If Anthony Spencer cannot be retained longterm, you need a pass rusher opposite Ware. A 4 Years 10.0 Million Contract for an edge rusher is beyond Value in the league. Damontre Moore is a player I would consider. Have to do Due diligence, determine the nature of the off the field issues... But like Tyron Smith- He's 20 Years old & will be a cornerstone for years to come.
_________________
I'm The guy who got shunned on FFs for arguing J.J. Watt should be selected 1st Overall in the 2011 Draft. I also thought Gabe Carimi would be a Perennial Pro Bowler. Live & Learn
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
the lone star


Moderator
Joined: 18 Apr 2005
Posts: 23092
PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're most likely gonna trade down from #18 to get more picks. We don't have the money to go after big time free agents (probably better off that way), and we don't have the picks to fill all of our needs. Jerry loves to trade down too. If an OL falls, a team is going to want to trade up, and Jerry will force a deal.

We'll get a guy like Eric Reid in the 2nd, and hopefully a guy like Joseph Randle in the 3rd.

I'm totally straight with that though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group