Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Falcons sign former Giants DE Osi Umenyiora to 2-year deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
titwio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Osi can still be an effective player. Still one of the best speed rushers in the game IMO. Last season he didn't start but has shown he's effective when he does with 9 sacks in 9 games the year before and 11.5 sacks and 10 FF's the year before that.

Everyone know he's not great at sealing the edge and playing the run but if the Falcons need a pass rusher.... then Osi is going to workout great for them. At least in my opinion .
w4rrior723

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawagiants10 wrote:
This is where I thought he would end up all along. He already lives in Atlanta during the off season and he is going to a contender. Atlanta should be playing with a lead most games so with his speed playing in a dome, being able to pin his ears back and rush the passer, 10 sack season easily.

Yeah, this is the perfect fit for Osi. They already have a terrific run defense too so he can just go after the QB. If he can stay healthy I don't so why he wouldn't put up double digit sacks on that D.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheKillerNacho wrote:
I'm not sure how much Umenyoira has left, but he still would be an excellent addition to a team that has literally no pass rusher on their roster at the moment. Having said that, this signing has a chance to be Ray Edwards 2.0.

Not a chance Osi can atleast get to the QB fast enough to fall into him for 4 sacks in 1 season Very Happy That would trump the 3.5 sacks we got from Ray in 2 seasons XD

Also im not greedy at all to the other poster When Biermann, Matthews, and Massaquio are the only DE's on your roster and all are 5th round or lower guys only 1 with starting experience. Then we need all the help we can get Very Happy
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:
This is where I thought he would end up all along. He already lives in Atlanta during the off season and he is going to a contender. Atlanta should be playing with a lead most games so with his speed playing in a dome, being able to pin his ears back and rush the passer, 10 sack season easily.

Yeah, this is the perfect fit for Osi. They already have a terrific run defense too so he can just go after the QB. If he can stay healthy I don't so why he wouldn't put up double digit sacks on that D.

We had a below avg run defense last year bro. The year before we had a terrific run defense. Last year it was up and down a good bit. Seemed to get better as the year went on though. We need 1 good NT run stuffer and 1 good quality OLB that can do coverage and stop the run and then we should be fine.
JonnyQuest

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:

We had an atrocious run defense last year. They stepped up in the Seahawks game, but regressed back to being terrible in the SF game.

Falcons. O's. Wizards. Caps.
GSUeagles14

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconFan13 wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:

Yeah, this is the perfect fit for Osi. They already have a teurrific run defense too so he can just go after the QB. If he can stay healthy I don't so why he wouldn't put up double digit sacks on that D.

We had a below avg run defense last year bro. The year before we had a terrific run defense. Last year it was up and down a good bit. Seemed to get better as the year went on though. We need 1 good NT run stuffer and 1 good quality OLB that can do coverage and stop the run and then we should be fine.

Nicholas ans spoon are both well above average starters, we're fine there
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:

Yeah, this is the perfect fit for Osi. They already have a teurrific run defense too so he can just go after the QB. If he can stay healthy I don't so why he wouldn't put up double digit sacks on that D.

I am quite sure you are the only person who thinks that on the Falcons board Very Happy Most of us want a good OLB in the 1st 3 rounds. You can look at everybodies mock drafts we are making and see olb is covered early by all of us. Nicholas is a avg player that is great depth and a spot starter. He is not that great in coverage but is ok in run defense.

Spoon i give you is a stud and im glad to have him.

Plus we only have 4 LB's on the entire roster in Spoon, Nicholas, Dent, and James. Getting a better quality OLB to go with spoon pushes nicholas to depth at both OLB spots with james giving our LB core much more talent and the depth we need there to continue.
Jgoldiscool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FalconFan13 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:

I am quite sure you are the only person who thinks that on the Falcons board Very Happy Most of us want a good OLB in the 1st 3 rounds. You can look at everybodies mock drafts we are making and see olb is covered early by all of us. Nicholas is a avg player that is great depth and a spot starter. He is not that great in coverage but is ok in run defense.

Plus we only have 4 LB's on the entire roster in Spoon, Nicholas, Dent, and James. Getting a better quality OLB to go with spoon pushes nicholas to depth at both OLB spots with james giving our LB core much more talent and the depth we need there to continue.
Count me in with GSU. We need a backup OLB. Spoon and Nicholas are fine. 3 DE's is a much more alarming number considering how bad our D line has been the last few seasons. With how little we use 3 linebackers I would be fine heading into to the season with 5. IF we don't draft or pickup a LB, we most likely will have the same group as last year: Spoon, Nicholas, Dent, James, and Schiller. Defensive end is a much bigger hole. Even if we pick up one in FA, I would still want to draft at least 2 more.

XBL GT: l JGOLD l
FalconFan13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgoldiscool wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
GSUeagles14 wrote:
FalconFan13 wrote:
w4rrior723 wrote:
ottawagiants10 wrote:

Count me in with GSU. We need a backup OLB. Spoon and Nicholas are fine. 3 DE's is a much more alarming number considering how bad our D line has been the last few seasons. With how little we use 3 linebackers I would be fine heading into to the season with 5. IF we don't draft or pickup a LB, we most likely will have the same group as last year: Spoon, Nicholas, Dent, James, and Schiller. Defensive end is a much bigger hole. Even if we pick up one in FA, I would still want to draft at least 2 more.

Theirs no way we will keep 6 De's on the roster Very Happy Im not against adding 2 DE's at all. 1 in FA 1 in draft or 2 in the draft none in FA. But Biermann is a better DE than nicholas is a LB as of right now. I would bank on us running 6 lb's before 6 DE's. Plus we have been linked to alot of LB's some in FA like Dansby and some in the draft early like ogletree, Brown, Hodges etc... So obviouslly they think we need some help there.
BladeKor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has yet to sign.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Falcons making strong push to sign Giants free-agent DE Osi Umenyiora and are trying to wrap up a deal with him before end of the weekend.

http://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/statuses/315180086003384320
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Per a source with knowledge of the situation, Umenyiora is expected to join the Falcons on Sunday or, at the latest, on Monday.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/23/umenyiora-joining-falcons-sunday-or-monday/
Tom Brady Tribute
bucsfan333

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crap. The Saints got Lewis, who I really wanted. Now, the Falcons are getting Osi, who I really wanted. Confused
VTPatsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Falcons career is Osi going to be closer to, in terms of attitude and production?

John Abraham or Ray Edwards?
BeeperKing

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTPatsFan wrote:
Who's Falcons career is Osi going to be closer to, in terms of attitude and production?

John Abraham or Ray Edwards?

I'm going to guess Ray Edwards. I'm not a fan of this at all, but if its cheap, I won't be so mad.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: