Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Ravens S Ed Reed to a 3 year, $15M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Maximum value of Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is $16 million for 3 years. Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/314573481230610433

Can you fix the headline please (3 years, not 2). About had a heart attack.

BTW - anyone who looks at "max value" on a contract for a 34 year old doesn't quite get it. Year 2 is basically a mutual option and year 3 is a mirage. When you strip it all away, we're committed to $7 million for a Hall of Famer that even in an injury filled season was still a dynamic playmaker who was a significant part of their Super Bowl run (including a Super Bowl pick). He will make less than Glover Quin's $6.25 million this season and unlike the Lions we don't take a $5 million cap hit if he doesn't get it done in 2 years. Ask the Saints if they regret bringing in a 34 year old Darren Sharper in in 2009 (9 ints and a Super Bowl ring). He was pretty much done in 2010, but Reed's bar starts much higher and he has to know that a 2nd Super Bowl run in 2013 would yield a Ray Lewis-esque love fest out of his shadow.

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
justo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jch1911 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
***Update***
Quote:
Maximum value of Ed Reed's deal with the Texans is $16 million for 3 years. Very strong deal for an older safety, especially in this market

http://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/statuses/314573481230610433

So if that's the deal AND $7M is guaranteed, it could look like this
2013: $3.5M + $1.5M SB (fully guaranteed)
2014: $3.5M + $1.5M SB
2015: $4.5M + $1.5M SB
Do non-QB's ever get SB bonus money?
The difference is that this is a FOOTBALL forum. Heated debates about FOOTBALL are expected and encouraged. If you want to discuss your cure for Ebola, try ebolasfuture.com or any other appropriate forum.
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this signing will help this season, and i like the thought of moving him into where our 3rd safety would play in the nickle and dime, but this only elevates S to possibly a 1st or 2nd round need, as we are no longer looking for depth but a guy who can start in 2 years, we have to have Reeds replacement on the roster come kick off, we simply cant waste Reeds experience like that
Dawgtx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pastor Dillon wrote:
this signing will help this season, and i like the thought of moving him into where our 3rd safety would play in the nickle and dime, but this only elevates S to possibly a 1st or 2nd round need, as we are no longer looking for depth but a guy who can start in 2 years, we have to have Reeds replacement on the roster come kick off, we simply cant waste Reeds experience like that

Why 1st or 2nd? Quin, who many think it's catastrophic that we lost, was a 4th round pick. It'd be nice, but, I still think WR, LB, and NT trump drafting a S.
buckwild

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

S will be taken before NT as you can get those guys later in the draft.

It should be interesting to see how the draft falls for us

Thanks Mike23md for the Sig
LORK 88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgtx wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

Why 1st or 2nd? Quin, who many think it's catastrophic that we lost, was a 4th round pick. It'd be nice, but, I still think WR, LB, and NT trump drafting a S.

Agreed, I don't see how signing Ed Reed, who will start for 1-2 years, elevates safety to the first two rounds. Why would we draft someone so early on just to be a backup? We can draft someone rounds 3-4 who gets the luxury of developing behind Ed Reed.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
Pastor Dillon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most valuable thing that Reed brings is experience and we want to set up a safety to be a Reed type player for the next 10-12 years, so why not draft a safety high to learn from Reed? We play with 3 safeties a lot, unless we plan on changing our scheme

Quin was a 4th rounder, but it also took him 3 years to really develop into a good player, plus he was a CB when we drafted him and he started at CB until his move to safety

This is why i was against signing Reed, it creates a sense of "hole filled" when we still have a hole, its just not as big for the next season or 2

not to mention that lost in all this is the fact that Manning is in his 30s now(31 when the season starts) and is only signed for 2 more years and will be a 6 million cap hit next season,

We all remember year after year after year of us needing a safety, and when was the only time drafting a safety wasnt really an issue? it was last off season when we have Manning and Quin penciled in.

We are 1 injury away from either of our plus 30 safeties from starting Keo...which we all agree is unacceptable, but so would be having a rookie 4th or 5th round safety that isnt much better than Keo with less experience

we have 4 picks in the top 3 rounds, and we need to come out with 4 holes filled for this year and in the future, and drafting late round safeties rarely works out

look at our 2 starting safeties Manning(2nd) and Reed(1st) were both high draft picks. Some times you get lucky by switching a CB to S or you get a steal, but late round(5th-7th) safeties arent as easy to come by as other players in late rounds

We looked ahead last season and drafted OLB in round 1, and thats gonna save us(hopefully) this season
EliteTexan80

Most Valuable Poster
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawgtx wrote:
Pastor Dillon wrote:

I think Quin (and Manning, to a lesser extent) illustrate that the Texans don't go LOOKING for a S. If we find one (and by and large, this is a good draft to find one) we're not afraid to look at bigger CBs who may lack foot speed, but make up for that with instincts and physical play.

I actually echo PDs assesment, we don't let the need for a S go away with this signing, and we SHOULD look to address this in the top 64 of the draft...IF the right guy is there. However, limiting it to ONLY S is something that I can pass on, as there are a few CB/S tweeners in this draft, to go along with a pretty deep S class.

In short - if the Texans are on the clock in the 2nd and a guy like NC State's David Amerson, SCARs Jonathan Banks, Rutgers' Logan Ryan or Darius Slay from Mississippi State is there for the taking, take him. They provide depth on both the CB and S depth chart, and the overlying plan of stepping in for Reed further down the line is accomplished as well. Yes, you do this at the expense of ILB and NT, but with two 3rd round picks in the fold, you have that sort of leverage. NT is one that could get thin quickly, but ILB always seems to be a position that falls.

If not - no biggie, this IS a deep S draft. If you don't land one of these guys in the 2nd, you can always look to the 3rd, where you have some great leverage with two picks, and guys such as Baccari Rambo from Georgia, Robert Lestar from Alabama, Earl Wolff from NC State - maybe they don't have ceilings that some of the CB tweeners have, but they have an understanding of the position along with the safety net of knowing they're only used in a very limited state.

TL;DR - If the RIGHT guy falls to us in the 2nd, a guy who has a lot of upside and high measures of production, take him. However, if the right guy isn't there, we have the luxury of waiting it out and finding that guy later on in this draft, or maybe even in the 2014 draft. At the end of it all, you let need dictate portions of your draft...but never overlook a gift that falls in your lap, you know?

vike daddy wrote:
EliteTexan80 wrote:
I wanna be a mod.

vastly over rated.
Apollo Stallion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only so many different ways I can put it. #3 Safety is a borderline starting position in this system and needs to be viewed in the same category as #2 ILB, NT, and #3 CB. For all the bellyaching about Shaun Cody, he was only on the field for 24% of snaps and Mitchell 37%. The trifecta of suck that was Demps(33%)/Nolan/Keo combined for 48% of snaps and that certainly was not because they were so good we couldn't keep em off the field (that's defensive snaps, not special teams btw)!

Look at it this way, our #1 pick last year was drafted into a position with 2 clear starters ahead of him that were only 25 years old. Mercilus only played 47% of snaps last year, again less field time than #3 safeties did. If we're willing to draft a guy to protect against a FA walking that was certainly less expected with Barwin than Mario, why wouldn't we draft the heir apparent to a safety with 1 or 2 years left, especially if he could get as many snaps as rookie as Mercilus did.

Furthermore, Manning and Quin almost never came off the field last year, playing 98% and 97% of snaps which doesn't strike me as wise with 34 and 31 year olds, so I'd love to see that closer to 90%, which puts #3 safety on the field about 2/3rds of snaps!

12 Year Texans Season Ticket Holder
Texansfan713

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Mark Berman ‏@MarkBermanFox26 31s

Ed Reed has arrived in Houston. Declined comment. Will sign 3-year deal tomorrow.

Hopefully the press conference is tomorrow too. I wonder if they will let Lecher (if he agrees to a deal) sign tomorrow along with Reed.

Edit: Pancakes tweet said the press conference will be tomorrow.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apollo Stallion wrote:
Only so many different ways I can put it. #3 Safety is a borderline starting position in this system and needs to be viewed in the same category as #2 ILB, NT, and #3 CB. For all the bellyaching about Shaun Cody, he was only on the field for 24% of snaps and Mitchell 37%. The trifecta of suck that was Demps(33%)/Nolan/Keo combined for 48% of snaps and that certainly was not because they were so good we couldn't keep em off the field (that's defensive snaps, not special teams btw)!

Look at it this way, our #1 pick last year was drafted into a position with 2 clear starters ahead of him that were only 25 years old. Mercilus only played 47% of snaps last year, again less field time than #3 safeties did. If we're willing to draft a guy to protect against a FA walking that was certainly less expected with Barwin than Mario, why wouldn't we draft the heir apparent to a safety with 1 or 2 years left, especially if he could get as many snaps as rookie as Mercilus did.

Furthermore, Manning and Quin almost never came off the field last year, playing 98% and 97% of snaps which doesn't strike me as wise with 34 and 31 year olds, so I'd love to see that closer to 90%, which puts #3 safety on the field about 2/3rds of snaps!

Couldn't agree more. I think we need to draft an in the box type safety as it seems to be an easier transition. But one that has the athletic ability to play deep later in his career after reed is done.
CAS22

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC at 10:00. Gonna be a good one.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Per Rotoworld:

Quote:
Updating a previous item, Ed Reed's Texans contract is good for three years with a max value of $15 million.
Per NFL Network's Albert Breer, Reed will receive $6 million in the first season. The Texans now have Reed under control through his age-37 campaign, though it would be somewhat surprising if he finished the deal. The $5 million annual average leaves Reed outside the league's top-ten most highly paid safeties.

ADOPT-A-TEXAN: CJ "Polish Hat" Fiedorowicz
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

***Update***
Quote:
Ed Reed is getting a 3 year deal worth $15 mil with $5 guaranteed.

http://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/315110884475285504
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Brady Tribute

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Houston Texans All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: