Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Ravens S Ed Reed to a 3-year, $15M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
And saying "Rotoworld is reporting" is discrediting. It's wrong.

No. Your definition of report is wrong, and that's why you're confused.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste websites is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

Official definition aside, that is wrong to say that someone who isn't the original reporter, "reported" something.

Also according to the definition: "To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings."

If it's not Rotoworld's findings, it's isn't "their report", which that post made it sound like.

Just because it "sounds like" to you, doesn't mean it's incorrect. He used the word "reporting" correctly. You just have an incorrect definition in your head.

I'm not talking about the word "report" here, I'm talking about the way the sentence was used [formed], which led to all of this argument.

"Rotoworld is reporting" Is, as i said discredits the original, actual reporter of the then exclusive information, making people think that a copy-paste website was the one who had it first.
Tom Brady Tribute
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

Why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste websites is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

Official definition aside, that is wrong to say that someone who isn't the original reporter, "reported" something.

Also according to the definition: "To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings."

If it's not Rotoworld's findings, it's isn't "their report", which that post made it sound like.

Just because it "sounds like" to you, doesn't mean it's incorrect. He used the word "reporting" correctly. You just have an incorrect definition in your head.

I'm not talking about the word "report" here, I'm talking about the way the sentence was used formed, which led to all of this argument.

"Rotoworld is reporting" Is, as i said discredits the original, actual reporter of the then exclusive information, making people think that a copy-paste website was the one who had it first.

Except it's not incorrect. You're interpreting it that way because your definition of the word is incorrect. Rotoworld IS reporting that. It's absolutely and 100% unequivocally correct.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

Now your using qualifiers that you've made up as well. How they found the information is irrelevant. If they found it because Adam Schefter talked to his sources, they're still reporting their findings.

To avoid derailing this thread more, this will be my last post on the matter. It's a bit silly to see adults arguing against the definitions that are in every dictionary and thesaurus available.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo Sports, ESPN, USA Today, etc are all reporting this same thing. Is that incorrect to you too?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

I'm not talking about the word "report" here, I'm talking about the way the sentence was used formed, which led to all of this argument.

Except it's not incorrect. You're interpreting it that way because your definition of the word is incorrect. Rotoworld IS reporting that. It's absolutely and 100% unequivocally correct.

They report it on second-hand, pass along information that an actual reporter found using his personal sources.

As i said before why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste websites is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

The way that post was used, discredits the person who actually broke the story, that is what i had a problem with... not that Rotoworld did or didn't "report" their passing along information news, it was the way the sentence made it seems like they did the work someone else did in order to find the information of the report.
Tom Brady Tribute
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

They report it on second-hand, pass along information an actual reporter found using his personal sources.

As i said before why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste websites is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

The way that post was used, discredits the person who actually broke the story, that is what i had a problem with... not that Rotoworld did or didn't "report" their passing along information news, it was the way the sentence made it seems like they did the work someone else did in order to find the information of the report.

You're not getting this: It SEEMED that way because you have a false definition of the word.

But, that's the last I'm posting on this topic. You're wrong, Billy. The dictionary says so. Just because something "seems" wrong to you, doesn't mean it is wrong. You shouldn't correct posters who are using words correctly, it's a bad look.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Guys: Enough derailing. Take it to PM if you guys want to discuss it more. Let's keep it about Ed Reed...
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Yahoo Sports, ESPN, USA Today, etc are all reporting this same thing. Is that incorrect to you too?

Those places either hear the news from the NFL team insider or give credit to the person who broke the news [the latter which Rotoworld does aswell] but my issue was never saying it is incorrect to say that any of them reported the news like you think.

My issue was the way that post was written, it makes you think it was rotoworld who reported the news first, which discredited the actual reporter.
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll say this for the final time.

My problem is with the way the post was written, "Rotoworld is reporting", it discredits the real reporter. If the poster used the source that Rotoworld used [Albert Breer] it would of been fine to say "Via rotoworld, Breer reported that..." The way that post was written makes people think that it was rotoworld who broke the news and not someone else and i simply clarified that it wasn't them, that it was someone else who originally reported it and that the report didn't originally come from them as they have no sources or insiders and are simply a copy-paste website or organizes news reports into one place.
Tom Brady Tribute
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I'll say this for the final time.

My problem is with the way the post was written, "Rotoworld is reporting", it discredits the real reporter. If the poster used the source that Rotoworld used [Albert Breer] it would of been fine to say "Via rotoworld, Breer reported that..." The way that post was written makes people think that it was rotoworld who broke the news and not someone else and i simply clarified that it wasn't them, that it was someone else who originally reported it and that the report didn't originally come from them as they have no sources or insiders and are simply a copy-paste website or organizes news reports into one place.

Sorry but if they had said Rotoworld had "breaking news" that would be one thing, but it's not and you're wrong. They are reporting on guys who broke the news about the signing stop getting all bent out of shape when somebody says that rotoworld is reporting a story that's currently in the sports news.
BaltimoreTerp

Most Valuable Poster (4th Ballot)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE LET'S JUST TALK ABOUT ED REED'S BEARD OR SOMETHING

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just feel that putting it in that way is discrediting the original actual reporter and it bugged me.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosstafarian

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaltimoreTerp wrote:
OH MY GOD I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE I DON'T CARE LET'S JUST TALK ABOUT ED REED'S BEARD OR SOMETHING

It goes well with James Harden's beard.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
I just feel that putting it in that way is discrediting the original actual reporter and it bugged me.

That's fine. Let's move on now.

See if you can find me a "report" about the Bengals signing Andre Smith... Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: