Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Texans sign former Ravens S Ed Reed to a 3-year, $15M deal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nugpimpen wrote:
lol what is happening in this thread

Same thing I've been thinking Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I understand correctly what Rotoworld does is basically the same thing that Billy does here right?
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaclinandMCcoy wrote:
if I understand correctly what Rotoworld does is basically the same thing that Billy does here right?

Exactly the same thing. Billy too is "reporting" things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaclinandMCcoy wrote:

Yes i said it myself in a post on the previous page, neither one of us are reporters, we do not report things, were passing along information from the people who report the news from their private sources and insiders, such as Adam Schefter.

To say Rotoworld reported something, to me, is false. They do not have exclusive sources or private information and are not reporters.
Tom Brady Tribute
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Both Breer and Rotoworld (as well as several other outlets) are reporting this.

Rotworld is passing along information from some else's reporting, they are not who reported this news.

Saying Rotoworld reported something is no different than saying someone who posts a thread in this forum is reporting something... it's just passing along information from somewhere else, not someone actually reporting/breaking a news story.

You may want to look up the definition of "report", because it appears the one you have in your head is off.

Hence the saying "Several media outlets are reporting...".

I think your misunderstanding what i mean.

Here is my issue... saying "Rotoworld" is the one who reported something, aka are the people who used their sources to find out an exclusive information is what i have a problem with because it's wrong. They don't have sources and haven't reported anything on their own.

It was Albert Breer who reported this news.

If he said "I seen on rotoworld that Ed Reed received this type of contract" i would be fine with it, but to say Rotoworld "reported" something, it's just not fair towards Breer who actully did the job of finding private information that only he had at the time of his report.
Tom Brady Tribute
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Flaccomania wrote:
Both Breer and Rotoworld (as well as several other outlets) are reporting this.

Rotworld is passing along information from some else's reporting, they are not who reported this news.

Saying Rotoworld reported something is no different than saying someone who posts a thread in this forum is reporting something... it's just passing along information from somewhere else, not someone actually reporting/breaking a news story.

You may want to look up the definition of "report", because it appears the one you have in your head is off.

Hence the saying "Several media outlets are reporting...".

I think your misunderstanding what i mean.

Here is my issue... saying "Rotoworld" is the one who reported something, aka are the people who used their sources to find out an exclusive information is what i have a problem with because it's wrong. They don't have sources and haven't reported anything on their own.

It was Albert Breer who reported this news.

If he said "I seen on rotoworld that Ed Reed received this type of contract" i would be fine with it, but to say Rotoworld "reported" something, it's just not fair towards Breer who actully did the job of finding private information that only he had at the time of his report.

Again, it's because your definition of "reporting" is wrong.

Albert Breer broke the story. He was the first to report it.

Many outlets are now reporting it, including Rotoworld.

It wasn't the poster you attempted to correct using the word "reporting" wrong, it's you.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Albert Breer who reported it.

The original post said "Rotoworld is reporting 3 years/$15MM." - That is what bugged me, it was not Rotoworld who reported it.

If you don't have a problem with the way that post was written, in a way in which discredits the original reporter and gives credit to a website who copy-paste news of other people, that is fine... that is how you are.

But for me, it bothered me saying "Rotoworld is reporting 3 years/$15MM.", it's not their report and based on that post, it sounds like it is.
Tom Brady Tribute
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

The original post said "Rotoworld is reporting 3 years/$15MM." - That is what bugged me, it was not Rotoworld who reported it.

If you don't have a problem with the way that post was written, in a way in which discredits the original reporter and gives credit to a website who copy-paste news of other people, that is fine... that is how you are.

But for me, it bothered me saying "Rotoworld is reporting 3 years/$15MM.", it's not their report and based on that post, it sounds like it is.

If that's how you interpret it, that's fine and dandy -- but don't correct somebody for using a word correctly just because you don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy is right in this case, IMO, not that it matters or anything, but what Rotoworld does is no different than what Billy does on this site.

REPORTING something, to me, means that you know, FROM the actual source, the details of what you're reporting.

In this case, Schefter/Breer are REPORTING the news. Rotoworld is re-posting/passing along/etc. the news, they are not reporting it at all.

Steve Smith Sr. on Panthers Secondary wrote:
"I'm 35 years old and I ran around those boys like they was schoolyard kids."
tylerdouglass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:

That's the thing though, you're being bothered because your definition of the word report is incorrect.

You're mixing up reporting the news with breaking the news.

re·port (r-pôrt -prt)
n.
1. An account presented usually in detail.
2. A formal account of the proceedings or transactions of a group.
4. Common talk; rumor or gossip: According to report, they eloped.

v. re·port·ed, re·port·ing, re·ports
v.tr.
1. To make or present an often official, formal, or regular account of.
2. To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings. See Synonyms at describe.
3. To write or provide an account or summation of for publication or broadcast:

Just because they weren't the first doesn't mean they didn't report it.

Rotoworld is reporting to it's readers. Billy is reporting to the people of FF. It's all reporting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SnA ExclusiVe wrote:
Billy is right in this case, IMO, not that it matters or anything, but what Rotoworld does is no different than what Billy does on this site.

REPORTING something, to me, means that you know, FROM the actual source, the details of what you're reporting.

In this case, Schefter/Breer are REPORTING the news. Rotoworld is re-posting/passing along/etc. the news, they are not reporting it at all.

You also have an incorrect definition of the word "reporting" then.

And by your logic then, unless Schefter and Breer both talk to the same guy, one is "reporting" and one isn't? What if their "source" got it from another "source"? Are they no longer "reporting"?

Fact is -- what Billy is doing, what Rotoworld does, what Schefter and Breer are both doing is "reporting" news. It's the very reason why you can have several news sources "reporting" the same news.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And saying "Rotoworld is reporting" is discrediting. It's wrong.

Why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste website is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

Official definition aside, that is wrong to say that someone who isn't the original reporter, "reported" something.

Also according to the definition: "To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings."

If it's not Rotoworld's findings, it's isn't "their report", which that post made it sound like.
Tom Brady Tribute

Last edited by Billy Spikes on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Flaccomania

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

That's the thing though, you're being bothered because your definition of the word report is incorrect.

re·port (r-pôrt -prt)
n.

v.tr.
2. To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings. See Synonyms at describe.

Rotoworld is reporting to it's readers. Billy is reporting to the people of FF. It's all reporting.

And bingo was his name-o.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy Spikes wrote:
And saying "Rotoworld is reporting" is discrediting. It's wrong.

Why would Adam Schafter, Albert Breer, Ian Rapport work hard at what they do if someone says a copy-paste websites is the one who reported the story? They can instead just wait around, hear news from somewhere else and then tweet about it afterwards saying it was their report and still get paid for it just the same.

Official definition aside, that is wrong to say that someone who isn't the original reporter, "reported" something.

Also according to the definition: "To relate or tell about; present: report one's findings."

If it's not Rotoworld's findings, it's isn't "their report", which that post made it sound like.

Just because it "sounds like" to you, doesn't mean it's incorrect. He used the word "reporting" correctly. You just have an incorrect definition in your head.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tylerdouglass wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:

re·port (r-pôrt -prt)
n.

v.tr.

It's a pretty good sign that you've lost an argument when you start pulling out the dictionary.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: