Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears parting ways with LB Brian Urlacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://t.sportige.com/sportige/#!/entry/nfl-rumors-no-one-wants-brian-urlacher,514ee166d7fc7b567081960a

According to several sources, thereís simply no one around the league, at the moment, willing to give Urlacher, a stating at job at linebacker. The need for a 4-3 MLB isnít that great at the moment anyway, but to also pay someone who is an injury risk and with the best part of his career behind him, the $3-3.5 million he wants for one season seems a bit much at the moment.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
I have to admit I have no idea what qualifies a # being retired... Will we see another #54 in a Bears uni?
I bet we do...heck, Ditka's number isn't even retired. Lots of Bears numbers retired over the years, they are tentative to do it now because they really limit the uni numbers left to use.

As for this whole situation with Urlacher...I really hate to see one of my favorite players be shown the door, but I do have to admit that I understand the reasoning, and it probably is the right move.

Does this mean I have to change my FF username now? lol

Username no, avatar yes. Smile

Urlacher is a sure fire HoF'er and I think the Bears will indeed retire his number down the road. My guess is they won't reissue 54 right away regardless. Singletary's # isn't retired either but Urlacher should be considered way before him anyway.

My hope right now is that Brian doesn't go to another team. I said a week or two ago that I didn't want to see him play another season for the Bears because it probably would end badly. I don't want to see that bad ending anywhere else for his sake.

What? Singletary was an 8 time All Pro (7 1st Teams), won 2 DPOY awards, amd led the '85 Bears Defense that won a SB. He led 8 top tier defenses in his 12 seasons.

Urlacher was a 5 time All Pro (5 1st Teams), won 1 DPOY, and led just 5 top tier defenses in his 13 seasons.

Uhhh, seriously? That's your criteria for determining the better player?

Mike Singletary was great but he is probably the most over rated Chicago Bear of all time.
I guess you never saw him play.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Facts overrule wishes in my world. And one of the firmest facts is football (especially pro) is a big man's game. There is no real argument about that.

There are no facts to what you were saying earlier.
The statement above supports the truth of what I have said all along.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
I have to admit I have no idea what qualifies a # being retired... Will we see another #54 in a Bears uni?
I bet we do...heck, Ditka's number isn't even retired. Lots of Bears numbers retired over the years, they are tentative to do it now because they really limit the uni numbers left to use.

As for this whole situation with Urlacher...I really hate to see one of my favorite players be shown the door, but I do have to admit that I understand the reasoning, and it probably is the right move.

Urlacher is a sure fire HoF'er and I think the Bears will indeed retire his number down the road. My guess is they won't reissue 54 right away regardless. Singletary's # isn't retired either but Urlacher should be considered way before him anyway.

My hope right now is that Brian doesn't go to another team. I said a week or two ago that I didn't want to see him play another season for the Bears because it probably would end badly. I don't want to see that bad ending anywhere else for his sake.

What? Singletary was an 8 time All Pro (7 1st Teams), won 2 DPOY awards, amd led the '85 Bears Defense that won a SB. He led 8 top tier defenses in his 12 seasons.

Urlacher was a 5 time All Pro (5 1st Teams), won 1 DPOY, and led just 5 top tier defenses in his 13 seasons.

Mike Singletary was great but he is probably the most over rated Chicago Bear of all time.

I don't remember Singletary as a player but he also had a lot more talent around him than Urlacher.
Two HoFers in the D line. And all the others could play. And the linebackers were great.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sugashane wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

No, that would be Jim McMahon, by a long shot. He was the weak link of the team, both in play and physical fragility. I could be wrong but I don't think he played a whole season in his entire career. Even with the best defense in the NFL (arguably in history), a top 3 HB all-time (by ANY listing) and a fantastic line, he still manages to be overwhelmingly mediocre.

I still maintain Orton, Jim Miller, Griese, Campbell, and Stewart are all better QBs that have started for the Bears just in the last decade or so. Obviously I need not mention Jay, as he is head and shoulders better then all of the aforementioned QBs, but I'll list him as well.
McMahon's physical limitations was his downfall. He was the smartest of all those QBs (Stewart BTW was not good as a Bear). If you needed someone to pull out a game by sheer will power McMahon was your man. His passes looked like wounded ducks but he knew how to win from the beginning of his college career. None of those QBs were able to read defenses like McMahon and he pulled out the greatest comeback the Bears ever had in my lifetime.

It is ridiculous to even think the first five you mention even compare (as Bears) to McMahon. Cutler has a lot to show, too.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
Jim McMahon, while he himself is indeed overrated, isn't held at the lofty height that Singletary is. And yes Windy, he had loads of talent around him. Some people (perhaps rightfully) believe Singletary was the 3rd best LB from the 85 Bears behind Wilbur Marshall and Otis Wilson.
Nobody believes that.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
Facts overrule wishes in my world. And one of the firmest facts is football (especially pro) is a big man's game. There is no real argument about that.

No it doesnt Laughing

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does Urlacher have to do with the 85 Bears?

I know I've asked this before, but we can we, as educated fans, stop comparing the current team to the team that was on the field nearly 30 years ago? It's one of our biggest flaws.
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

They can't really retire very many more numbers. The Bears have retired 13 numbers, the most in the NFL, and they also have the most HOF players, so retiring the numbers of every HOF-caliber player would be impossible. In training camp there are usually a few guys with duplicate numbers, one on offense and one on defense, because they don't have enough numbers to go around.

What the equipment staff will almost certainly do, however, is try to keep Urlacher's number "cool" for a while. For the next few years they will probably assign it to a player who's almost certain to get axed in the first round of cuts so that most fans won't see it during regular season play.
bears2308

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

You heard of Darren Sproles? Not comparing the two talent wise but the dude is tiny and stays relatively healthy. He only missed time last year due to a wrist injury.
Mudderfudder77

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

They can't really retire very many more numbers. The Bears have retired 13 numbers, the most in the NFL, and they also have the most HOF players, so retiring the numbers of every HOF-caliber player would be impossible. In training camp there are usually a few guys with duplicate numbers, one on offense and one on defense, because they don't have enough numbers to go around.

What the equipment staff will almost certainly do, however, is try to keep Urlacher's number "cool" for a while. For the next few years they will probably assign it to a player who's almost certain to get axed in the first round of cuts so that most fans won't see it during regular season play.

The NFL has told the Bears that they are not allowed to officially retire anymore numbers - this was right after the Butkus/Sayers number ceremony.

Best Bears can do now if have some sort of 'ring of honor' and start putting players into it.

Adopt-a-Bear Lamarr Houston

Man-child. QB-killer. Defender of the run. Destroyer of worlds
IronMike84

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mudderfudder77 wrote:
IronMike84 wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

The NFL has told the Bears that they are not allowed to officially retire anymore numbers - this was right after the Butkus/Sayers number ceremony.

Best Bears can do now if have some sort of 'ring of honor' and start putting players into it.

Don't they already have something like a "ring of honor" somewhere in Soldier Field where most people don't see it? I thought I walked past something of that sort once.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

No it doesnt Laughing
O gee, how have I missed all the tiny players in the league and actually believe my lying eyes?
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bears2308 wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:
GOGRIESE wrote:
ChicagoAl wrote:

You heard of Darren Sproles? Not comparing the two talent wise but the dude is tiny and stays relatively healthy. He only missed time last year due to a wrist injury.
Darren Sproles was NOT a first round draft pick and he was NOT a second round draft pick. Darren Sproles is a perfect example of what I have said - tiny guys are rarely drafted in the higher rounds. Those are rarer than hen's teeth.

AND Darren Sproles has NOT been worth a first round draft pick. He, like Austin will be, is a gimmick guy not used that often.
ChicagoAl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike84 wrote:
What does Urlacher have to do with the 85 Bears?

I know I've asked this before, but we can we, as educated fans, stop comparing the current team to the team that was on the field nearly 30 years ago? It's one of our biggest flaws.
What is wrong with comparing to the very best? People are still compared to Babe Ruth and he played almost 90 years ago. People will always be compared with Michael Jordan, Ernie Banks and Walter Payton, it is one of the great things about sports.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: