Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears parting ways with LB Brian Urlacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CBears019

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
I have to admit I have no idea what qualifies a # being retired... Will we see another #54 in a Bears uni?
I bet we do...heck, Ditka's number isn't even retired. Lots of Bears numbers retired over the years, they are tentative to do it now because they really limit the uni numbers left to use.

As for this whole situation with Urlacher...I really hate to see one of my favorite players be shown the door, but I do have to admit that I understand the reasoning, and it probably is the right move.

Does this mean I have to change my FF username now? lol

In a matter of months your sig, avvy, and name have all become obsolete. Gotta be rough...

FG: 25/28 XP: 41/42 LNG: 58 Yards

AZBearsFan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBears019 wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:
I have to admit I have no idea what qualifies a # being retired... Will we see another #54 in a Bears uni?
I bet we do...heck, Ditka's number isn't even retired. Lots of Bears numbers retired over the years, they are tentative to do it now because they really limit the uni numbers left to use.

As for this whole situation with Urlacher...I really hate to see one of my favorite players be shown the door, but I do have to admit that I understand the reasoning, and it probably is the right move.

In a matter of months your sig, avvy, and name have all become obsolete. Gotta be rough...

Wait, GRRLacher isn't your last name????

GRRLacher wrote:
I told you guys AZ was awesome...he in fact makes triple the pay I get for moderating here.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Username no, avatar yes. Smile

Urlacher is a sure fire HoF'er and I think the Bears will indeed retire his number down the road. My guess is they won't reissue 54 right away regardless. Singletary's # isn't retired either but Urlacher should be considered way before him anyway.

My hope right now is that Brian doesn't go to another team. I said a week or two ago that I didn't want to see him play another season for the Bears because it probably would end badly. I don't want to see that bad ending anywhere else for his sake.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GRRLacher wrote:

I'd suggest GRRCarimi or GRRWebb
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chisoxguy7 wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:

If anyone changes their name and it is not to The Black Unicorn, they are making a mistake.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WindyCity wrote:
chisoxguy7 wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:

If anyone changes their name and it is not to The Black Unicorn, they are making a mistake.

WEE SNAW!

.....Also, I may or may not have spent about 30 seconds cursing Google for not having any "real pictures" of black unicorns..... It went something like "WHY IS ALL OF THIS ART?"

Last edited by chisoxguy7 on Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
andjordand

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is Urlacher really a 1st ballot HOF candidate though? I mean, he was great for the first 5-6 years of his career, but the last 4 or so after the wrist injury have been a different story, he's been more bark than bite. Regardless of Pro-bowl voting, Urlacher has undergone a prolonged decline into mediocracy. 54 hasn't been a top 5 4-3 LB in the division let alone the NFL, since the emergence of Tulloch, Henderson, Levy and Greenway (including Briggs, of course). I think he will be waiting a number of ballots before eventually getting a yellow jacket,, there are just too many recent highlights of him getting torched by average running backs and receivers. Lance has more Butkus/Singletary LB DNA than Brian ever did.
chisoxguy7

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Is Urlacher really a 1st ballot HOF candidate though? I mean, he was great for the first 5-6 years of his career, but the last 4 or so after the wrist injury have been a different story, he's been more bark than bite. Regardless of Pro-bowl voting, Urlacher has undergone a prolonged decline into mediocracy. 54 hasn't been a top 5 4-3 LB in the division let alone the NFL, since the emergence of Tulloch, Henderson, Levy and Greenway (including Briggs, of course). I think he will be waiting a number of ballots before eventually getting a yellow jacket,, there are just too many recent highlights of him getting torched by average running backs and receivers. Lance has more Butkus/Singletary LB DNA than Brian ever did.

I don't think you're giving the man enough credit. While his play has declined, he was the leader of the defense, a captain, and the face of the franchise. His contribution to the Bears was far more than his play.
johnnyboy8102

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Urlacher is a sure fire HoF'er and I think the Bears will indeed retire his number down the road. My guess is they won't reissue 54 right away regardless. Singletary's # isn't retired either but Urlacher should be considered way before him anyway.

My hope right now is that Brian doesn't go to another team. I said a week or two ago that I didn't want to see him play another season for the Bears because it probably would end badly. I don't want to see that bad ending anywhere else for his sake.

What? Singletary was an 8 time All Pro (7 1st Teams), won 2 DPOY awards, amd led the '85 Bears Defense that won a SB. He led 8 top tier defenses in his 12 seasons.

Urlacher was a 5 time All Pro (5 1st Teams), won 1 DPOY, and led just 5 top tier defenses in his 13 seasons.
bears2308

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

What? Singletary was an 8 time All Pro (7 1st Teams), won 2 DPOY awards, amd led the '85 Bears Defense that won a SB. He led 8 top tier defenses in his 12 seasons.

Urlacher was a 5 time All Pro (5 1st Teams), won 1 DPOY, and led just 5 top tier defenses in his 13 seasons.

Boom.

If teams retired numbers for every HOF'er they'd be out of numbers at some point...
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andjordand wrote:
Actually, the first year after the wrist surgery might have been Lach's best season ever. He led the NFL in splash plays. Was the #1 ranked coverage LBer, institutional in the Bears #1 Run defense that year. He was completely robbed of a first team all pro that year, but instead was named 2nd team. 2011 was another probowl caliber year. 2012 was the first year where it was apparent that he was not able to play to his normal standard. Now that may have been the injury, or it may have just been age.

As far as whether he's a first ballot HOFer or not. If he doesn't play this year, not likely, b/c Ray Lewis will be going in that year and the committee doesn't like to put 2 players at the same position in the same year

OneBadCat wrote:
Ahah Okay first of all Gamble was lost to IR this year but when healthy he proved to be 2nd only to Revis last season.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Uhhh, seriously? That's your criteria for determining the better player?

Mike Singletary was great but he is probably the most over rated Chicago Bear of all time.
WindyCity

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

Mike Singletary was great but he is probably the most over rated Chicago Bear of all time.

I don't remember Singletary as a player but he also had a lot more talent around him than Urlacher.
Sugashane

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiscbearsfan wrote:
johnnyboy8102 wrote:
wiscbearsfan wrote:
GRRLacher wrote:
pigsooie5 wrote:

No, that would be Jim McMahon, by a long shot. He was the weak link of the team, both in play and physical fragility. I could be wrong but I don't think he played a whole season in his entire career. Even with the best defense in the NFL (arguably in history), a top 3 HB all-time (by ANY listing) and a fantastic line, he still manages to be overwhelmingly mediocre.

I still maintain Orton, Jim Miller, Griese, Campbell, and Stewart are all better QBs that have started for the Bears just in the last decade or so. Obviously I need not mention Jay, as he is head and shoulders better then all of the aforementioned QBs, but I'll list him as well.
wiscbearsfan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim McMahon, while he himself is indeed overrated, isn't held at the lofty height that Singletary is. And yes Windy, he had loads of talent around him. Some people (perhaps rightfully) believe Singletary was the 3rd best LB from the 85 Bears behind Wilbur Marshall and Otis Wilson.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Chicago Bears All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 11 of 13

Jump to: