Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears parting ways with LB Brian Urlacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
"This is nonsense."--Well, at least you were kind enough to warn us before we read the rest of your post. Laughing

Oh my, the first person plural. You speak for the board? For the Bears?

Then why is your living legend Mike Ditka on such poor terms? What arrogance. Cool

Look out below, the Bears will fall below 10-6. Wink
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

Look out below, the Bears will fall below 10-6. Wink

Does this post ring a bell with you?

Badger75 wrote:
NFC Chicago Bears
AFC Pittsburgh Steelers

Wink

I guess Brian Urlacher was going to single-handedly carry the Bears to a deep playoff run, but now they will be below 10-6. Rolling Eyes
texans_uk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been scratching around and the league minimum for a guy with 10+ years is $944,000. Wouldn't you be slightly insulted if you had been the main man in your company for 12 years, then when it came to renewal they only offered you twice the minimum salary for a man with your experience.

I understand the whole "He was paid $9.5m", "His play has declined" argument, but for a man with as much pride as I'm sure Brian has, being offered a paltry $2m had to sting.

Keleth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:
I've been scratching around and the league minimum for a guy with 10+ years is $944,000. Wouldn't you be slightly insulted if you had been the main man in your company for 12 years, then when it came to renewal they only offered you twice the minimum salary for a man with your experience.

If I did exactly the same job and did it to the same standards as before then yes I would be insulted.
However if I did the same job but to nowhere near my previous standards then I'd probably expect to get fired not just get a pay cut.

Do you think Urlacher should have given the Bears money every time he missed a game through injury because the Bears paid him even when he wasn't performing ?
No sensible person thinks that so why should sensible people think he should be over paid just because of his past.

If they'd offered him $6m and another team had offered him $10m then he probably would have forgotten all about loyalty and been off.

The NFL is a business and this sort of thing is standard which is also why I have no problem with players holding out.
vikingsrule

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like MN may be interested, but not as what Urlacher wants. My guess is that Urlacher remains a free agent until after the draft and signs with a team who still needs a starting MLB.

MN would probably still be a prime spot for him, given the scheme is familiar. Guess it depends though on if they grab a starting MLB in the draft, which Frazier seems to prefer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

I understand the whole "He was paid $9.5m", "His play has declined" argument, but for a man with as much pride as I'm sure Brian has, being offered a paltry $2m had to sting.

Yeah, this argument works in a field where careers average longer than 4 years and the performance curve doesn't start arcing down sharply around 30...not so much pro football.

Urlacher is about to Olin Kreutz himself.
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letting Urlacher go means the Tampa 2 is also gone. That means DB Tillman is gone. The new defense will take time to build. Who steps into MLB, Briggs? Then who fills his slot at OLB?

Dumb move. Cool
Bobikus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smart move by the Bears. Urlacher's not worth $3m+ at this point.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
Letting Urlacher go means the Tampa 2 is also gone. That means DB Tillman is gone. The new defense will take time to build. Who steps into MLB, Briggs? Then who fills his slot at OLB?

Dumb move. Cool

They can just draft a Cover 2 MLB. There should be two good ones available at 20 in Ogletree and Brown.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Billy Spikes wrote:
Quote:
What the Bears pulled with Urlacher was a cheap, manipulative ploy to get Urlacher to say no, so then the team could say it tried.

http://twitter.com/realfreemancbs/statuses/314524089379348482

I'd like for someone to offer me an 'insulting' $2m contract...

Why would Webby offer you such a steep decrease in salary?

aceinthehouse wrote:
I'm so confident in the Skins this season (offensively), I think they challenge the Patriots scoring record.
Call it a hunch. Idea
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vikingsrule wrote:
Seems like MN may be interested, but not as what Urlacher wants. My guess is that Urlacher remains a free agent until after the draft and signs with a team who still needs a starting MLB.

MN would probably still be a prime spot for him, given the scheme is familiar. Guess it depends though on if they grab a starting MLB in the draft, which Frazier seems to prefer.

I'd like this signing if we could find a role for him, but I don't want him as a starter. I don't want to build through Free Agency.

Not your typical Vikings anymore.
Billy Spikes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

****Update***
Quote:
LB Brian Urlacher on the Dan Patrick show said that his agents have spoken to the Vikings, Cowboys, & Cardinals.

http://twitter.com/mikejurecki/statuses/315098555419332608
Tom Brady Tribute
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:

Dumb move. Cool
a) tampa 2 isn't going anywhere, Mel Tucker said everything is remaining the same, right down to the terminology. It just means somebody else will be lining up at MLB from now on. This was at most a year away from happening anyway so I don't see the real big deal. b) why does Peanut require the tampa 2. The bears played more 2-man than any other coverage last year, and Peanut was an all pro. I think he'll be fine in any coverage, since, ya know, he's played them all at a very high level for a decade.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
Ketchup

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

texans_uk wrote:

Sure the reality of it had to sting but him saying its insulting is just a lack of rationale. His play isn't worth more then the $2 million the Bears offered. Like most players when they get his age, he's not seeing his play decline but it has. I honestly wouldn't even pay him the vet minimum if I was a GM.

Kempes on the custom sig!
Badger75

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess we will all see soon enough.

New GM, new HC, new schemes. The Bears were 10-6 last year. Are they going to improve on that in 2013? Hope so.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: