Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Bears parting ways with LB Brian Urlacher
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Malik wrote:
Sorry, I'm of the opinion that you overpay you hall of fame face of the franchise player. I'm a Yankees fan and Jeter was MASSIVELY overpaid for what his production is going to be in these last few years. But he's DEREK JETER. He has represented the Yanks for almost 2 decades and is a first ballot Hall of Famer that faithfully represented the uniform better than any Yankee in the history of the franchise.

I don't know if Bears fans feel exactly the same about Brian Urlaucher, but they should of gave him that 4 million unless they are going to absolutely positively over-the-cap.

There's no hard salary cap in baseball. You can afford to overpay a player like Jeter and still pay players at other positions top $. Using the Yankees in general is just a bad example.

Bears have been overpaying him the past few years. His cap hit last season was $9.5m. No need to continue doing that...

Missed the point entirely.

The last line of my post. They paid him $9.5m last season (well $7.5m with a $9.5m cap hit) for a 68 tackle season. He's lucky he's getting offered anything...
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A product or a service is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it and not one cent more. The beautiful thing about a free market is that Brian will now be able to get paid exactly what he is worth. Don't be surprised if teams are not knocking down his door to get him.

If the McCaskeys want sentimentality, they can buy the entire CD Box Set for three easy installments of only $19.95 on a late night infomercial. In the meantime, they can put their efforts into assembling a winning football team in whatever way they see fit.
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:
A product or a service is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it and not one cent more. The beautiful thing about a free market is that Brian will now be able to get paid exactly what he is worth. Don't be surprised if teams are not knocking down his door to get him.

If the McCaskeys want sentimentality, they can buy the entire CD Box Set for three easy installments of only $19.95 on a late night infomercial. In the meantime, they can put their efforts into assembling a winning football team in whatever way they see fit.

What teams have been knocking down his door to get him?

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Nabbs4u

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superman(DH23) wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
It's interesting that $1.5 million is the make or break difference. You would think that after all those years playing in the NFL that $1.5 million wouldn't be that big of an issue.

It's obvious they really didn't want him back. They (most FO) don't care what you did or meant to the organization for well over a decade. It's a what have you done for me lately league. Low balling the face of your franchise in a so called attempt and watching him walk is a calculated intentional move on their part. Just like it was for Brian Dawkins and what that tool Joe Banner did to him in 09'. I'm not saying you meet the demands of Urlacher (4m) but meeting in the middle (3) and not giving an ultimatum of take this or the highway is what "should" of been done so he can retire a Bear. Just goes to show how cut throat the NFL can be as a buisness.
Urlacher's play last year wasn't worth $4M or $3M for that matter. $2M for a 35 yo player coming off 2 serious injuries in the same calendar year is a very generous offer. Lach even admitted he may not get a $2M offer elsewhere. He claims its not about the money, but rather the process. Through his own admission, his agent presented the Bears w/a contract proposal at the combine for $5.5M per, there was no contact for the next 3 weeks, then at the start of FA the Bears offered him $2M for 1 year. Apparently there was no budging from the Bears on this #, and this is why Lach felt disrespected. He didn't feel properly negotiated with. There's a lot of talk on the radio and the net that the Bears didn't really want him back and it was a lowball offer to save face. Maybe it was, but what I've seen of the FO it was most likely a case of they had a # in mind and they weren't willing to budge from that #.

So you agree or disagree with what I posted? My comprehension skills might be failing these days but didn't you just say "in a different way" what was written?

Bird Watch:
Jeremy Maclin: 6 Gm/ 27 Rec/ 445 Yds/ 4 TD/ 16.5 YPC/
SteelKing728

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
BrettFavre4 wrote:
Wow...fully expected Reed to leave the Ravens before Urlacher left the Bears. I just can't picture him on any other team.

You'd have to think at this point of his career he's going to strictly be looking to go to a contender. Otherwise I'd love Buffalo to throw him an offer.

What playoff/Super Bowl contenders have holes at LB? Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver, New York Giants, Minnesota, Atlanta, Seattle?

Confused

and the list keeps growing...Love it! Cool

Its tough being the face of a franchise, and not being able to stay with that team until retirement, but this is a business. No one is going to pamper you and always give you what you want.

Urlacher was a great player. One of the best MLBs ever, but age has caught up to him it seems. He's a shell of his former self. He's not an anywhere close to where he use to be.

I this his best bet would be to retire, but it looks like he still wants to play. He'll provide great leadership to a team, and can help out the young guys (i.e a "players coach"), but I think he'd just end up being a liability sooner than later.

even though for a long time I hated him, I wish him well.

down but not out. I still believe!
WhackyPlague

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malik wrote:
Sorry, I'm of the opinion that you overpay you hall of fame face of the franchise player. I'm a Yankees fan and Jeter was MASSIVELY overpaid for what his production is going to be in these last few years. But he's DEREK JETER. He has represented the Yanks for almost 2 decades and is a first ballot Hall of Famer that faithfully represented the uniform better than any Yankee in the history of the franchise.

I don't know if Bears fans feel exactly the same about Brian Urlaucher, but they should of gave him that 4 million unless they are going to absolutely positively over-the-cap.

$2 million is already overpaying him considering what you get on the field. If either party is insulting the other, it's Urlacher insulting the Bears.
ttitansfan4life

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Louis Friend wrote:
vikingshomer wrote:
Louis Friend wrote:
BrettFavre4 wrote:
Wow...fully expected Reed to leave the Ravens before Urlacher left the Bears. I just can't picture him on any other team.

You'd have to think at this point of his career he's going to strictly be looking to go to a contender. Otherwise I'd love Buffalo to throw him an offer.

What playoff/Super Bowl contenders have holes at LB? Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Houston, Indianapolis, Denver, New York Giants, Minnesota, Atlanta, Seattle?

Confused

http://espn.go.com/nfl/standings/_/group/2
You were saying?

Same thing I'll say now, one of these things is not like the others.

Same goes for NYG, Indy, and Pittsburgh.
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000152556/article/report-vikings-not-interested-in-brian-urlacher

Make that two teams that don't want Brian at the "Bargain Basement" price of $3.5-$4 Million per year. Will the Cowboys make that a Trifecta?

Perhaps someone has overestimated their worth.
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a mistake.

Lacks class.

Guess that means Peppers and Tillman are next?

That defense helped them get to 10-6 last year.
TheVillain112

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger75 wrote:
This is a mistake.

Lacks class.

That "lacks class" part would have been if they cut him last season to save themselves $7.5m. There were articles last season about Urlacher possibly being a cap casualty because of his $9.5m cap hit. Bears let him play out on the contract.

Don't see anything wrong with a new regime wanting to go in a new direction...
GOGRIESE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheVillain112 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
This is a mistake.

Lacks class.

That "lacks class" part would have been if they cut him last season to save themselves $7.5m. There were articles last season about Urlacher possibly being a cap casualty because of his $9.5m cap hit. Bears let him play out on the contract.

Plus the difference between Peppers, Tillman and Urlacher is that Tillman and Peppers are still playing good football.

^^ props to Ty on the sig Smile

2013-Adopt A Bear- CB Tim Jennings #26
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabbs4u wrote:
Superman(DH23) wrote:
Nabbs4u wrote:
X_Factor_40 wrote:
It's interesting that $1.5 million is the make or break difference. You would think that after all those years playing in the NFL that $1.5 million wouldn't be that big of an issue.

It's obvious they really didn't want him back. They (most FO) don't care what you did or meant to the organization for well over a decade. It's a what have you done for me lately league. Low balling the face of your franchise in a so called attempt and watching him walk is a calculated intentional move on their part. Just like it was for Brian Dawkins and what that tool Joe Banner did to him in 09'. I'm not saying you meet the demands of Urlacher (4m) but meeting in the middle (3) and not giving an ultimatum of take this or the highway is what "should" of been done so he can retire a Bear. Just goes to show how cut throat the NFL can be as a buisness.
Urlacher's play last year wasn't worth $4M or $3M for that matter. $2M for a 35 yo player coming off 2 serious injuries in the same calendar year is a very generous offer. Lach even admitted he may not get a $2M offer elsewhere. He claims its not about the money, but rather the process. Through his own admission, his agent presented the Bears w/a contract proposal at the combine for $5.5M per, there was no contact for the next 3 weeks, then at the start of FA the Bears offered him $2M for 1 year. Apparently there was no budging from the Bears on this #, and this is why Lach felt disrespected. He didn't feel properly negotiated with. There's a lot of talk on the radio and the net that the Bears didn't really want him back and it was a lowball offer to save face. Maybe it was, but what I've seen of the FO it was most likely a case of they had a # in mind and they weren't willing to budge from that #.

So you agree or disagree with what I posted? My comprehension skills might be failing these days but didn't you just say "in a different way" what was written?
It was long winded, but the last sentence kinda expresses my feelings. I don't think the Bears lowballed him, I think they had th $2M figure in mind from the start of the process, and they didn't want to mess around negotiating to it. I think out of respect they came to the table immediately w/ their best offer. I think Brian took the fact that they started w/ their best offer as disrespect. His agent started the negotiating process the way negotiations typically go, ask for the moon and work backward. Personally I think it was respectful of the Bears to come out w/ their best offer right away. Instead Brian spent 3 weeks calling back and asking if the # had changed. The biggest irritant for me, if it's true, is that Emery didn't phone Lach to notify him that he thought it was best to go another direction at this point. Instead, according to Lach's agent, the agent was notified that negotiations were over, and 20 secs later the release was sent out that they were parting ways. That could have been handled a lot better for the former face of the franchise.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Superman(DH23)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOGRIESE wrote:
TheVillain112 wrote:
Badger75 wrote:
This is a mistake.

Lacks class.

Plus the difference between Peppers, Tillman and Urlacher is that Tillman and Peppers are still playing good football.
Yeah 2 first team all pros, versus a guy who hasn't been to the probowl in 3 years. Big difference.

2013 Bears Forum Mike Ditka Award Winner
2014 Adopt-A-Bear Alshon Jeffery
Badger75

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadrunner wrote:

This is nonsense. Sports is about team chemistry, emotion. Plenty of franchise owners have gone looking for that bang for their buck.

The current owners walked in and were handed the Lombardi trophy. Persperation courtesy of Jim Finks, Mike Ditka and Buddy Ryan.

Sports economics is the alchemy of good sense and good instincts. Cool
Roadrunner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This is nonsense."--Well, at least you were kind enough to warn us before we read the rest of your post. Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> NFL News All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: