Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Back by popular demand....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Back by popular demand.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Owner/general manager Jerry Jones said the NFL Draft won’t necessarily determine what the team decides to do with the tackle. In fact, the Cowboys could make a decision on Free in the coming weeks.

“I think there’s more to it, without trying to talk in riddles,” Jones said. “There’s more to it. That implies a decision after the draft on Free, and we may be doing things there with our offensive line before the draft, relative to Free.”

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Decision-On-Free-Not-Yet-Settled-Could-Happen-Before-Draft/57f824a0-b770-4dbc-8ed5-39ec5bf36110

Quote:
Garrett emphasized how crucial this year’s draft is. He said the Cowboys need to run better and be stronger on the offensive line.
Dez Bryant seems fine after his finger surgery, and Garrett said the star receiver is upbeat and positive. Garrett recalled how emotional Bryant was after finding out he’d broken his finger and may need immediate surgery. He quickly went to Garrett and told him he can’t go on injured reserve and needed to finish the season. Bryant demonstrated physical strength, but Garrett said the strides he’s seen from Bryant off the field mentally and with his maturity level have been just as great. He said the consistency Bryant’s developed personally has carried over to the field.
Speaking of Wilber and Johnson, Garrett said he thought those two could have a similar arc as some of his previous draft choices that became crucial defensive contributors in later seasons. He needed foresight when dealing with players who had injuries in college, including Sean Lee and Bruce Carter, but Garrett reaped the benefits of those risks. Garrett said with more progress in the offseason, Wilber and Johnson could become defensive contributors with a more prominent role next season.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Garrett-Expresses-His-Thoughts-At-NFC-Coaches-Breakfast/d59983cb-51bf-4ac6-936a-b5ff70c4035a

Quote:
"We think our two starters probably are on our team," team executive vice president Stephen Jones said Monday. "We may get some insurance there, just like we did with Ernie (Sims), and then of course we’re going to draft. We’ve got some players to draft and college free agents to get, but we do think our two young guys could start for us."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706647/the-starting-safeties-are-barry-church-and-matt-johnson

Quote:
Jones suggested that an extension for Romo will happen soon. He didn’t want to provide an exact date, but he feels good about where Romo’s at in his career and the dialogue with the quarterback, which is ongoing. He understands fans’ concerns not getting a deal done yet, but he said he has a better idea than most about where the talks stand. He’s not concerned it will be a long-term wait before a deal is reached. He also said the contract won’t hamper personnel decisions, which likely means it’s doubtful the team would go sign a high-profile free agent immediately after getting a deal done.

Jones said the Cowboys really wanted Anthony Spencer. More specifically, Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli were impressed after watching tape on him and thought he could be a difference maker in the new defense.

The addition of Derek Dooley as the wide receivers coach is one Jones really liked. He said Garrett clearly holds a great deal of respect for Dooley, who will have a lot of input in the passing game.
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Jones-Analyzes-State-Of-Team-Suggests-Romo-Deal-Close/cd0e1f90-d239-4b81-888d-00000c179e62

Quote:
Jones' point is it wouldn't make sense to sign Urlacher to backup Sean Lee, only to cut him after a year. "You don't ever dismiss Hall of Famers in my book," Jones said. "It would be difficult. He obviously plays what Sean plays. To move everything around for a year doesn't really make a lot of sense. But at the same time, you don't ever rule it out."
Jones was also asked about wide receiver Laurent Robinson, who was released by Jacksonville last week. Robinson has lingering concussion and ankle issues that give the Cowboys pause. "We got to look at the big picture with Laurent," Jones said. "He had some injuries that we're going to be doing our homework on and be going from there."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706657/cowboys-say-no-to-brian-urlacher-maybe-on-laurent-robinson

And Just for TO7:

Quote:
Listen
Tomlin worked with Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli in Tampa Bay.

"Monte is going to be great in particular, Monte in a combination with Rod, that's a lethal combination," said Tomlin, who worked with the duo from 2001 to 2005 as a defensive backs coach. "These guys are football purists. I imagine they're somewhere in the bowels of that facility right now, man, with trash cans talking about how to defend the A, B, C gap.

"I grew up professionally with those guys. They're special people. I wish them nothing but the best. I acknowledge if you're competing against them, you got your hands full for a lot of reasons. I've been blessed to be associated with those guys."

Tomlin doesn't believe the switch will be a problem for Kiffin and Marinelli.

"How those guys work, I really think it's insignificant when you talk about whether or not you got four guys with their hand on the ground or three guys with their hand on the ground," Tomlin said. "One thing that they're going to do is they're going to be fundamentally sound, their going to play responsible football and they're going to play extremely hard with the 11 men that they have. I look forward to watching their tape. I think there's a lot of people in the NFL looking forward to watching their tape. Those are the type of guys, when they put tape out there, it's food for all of us. It's going to be fun."

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706689/mike-tomlin-is-big-fan-of-monte-kiffin
htfryar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a couple of those that I hadn't seen yet. Thanks Matts.

Homer Simpson wrote:
Beer, the cause of, and solution to all of life’s problems.
Desperado82

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"One thing that they're going to do is they're going to be fundamentally sound, their going to play responsible football and they're going to play extremely hard with the 11 men that they have"

I keep hearing this, and have to admit it has me excited.

^^^mack
Desperado Dan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Quote:
"One thing that they're going to do is they're going to be fundamentally sound, their going to play responsible football and they're going to play extremely hard with the 11 men that they have"

You must be more optimistic than I am, because when I hear it, I think, "I've heard this before."

The eyes of Texas are upon you...
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado82 wrote:
Quote:

The bold makes me laugh - like it's a shot at Rob Ryan

Sig courtesy of mack.
Texas_OutLaw7

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Quote:

The bold makes me laugh - like it's a shot at Rob Ryan

And Coach Joe, really.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there an official count on how many times Rob sent out a Defensive package with the wrong number of players? I know many times we had 10 guys out there and a few times we had 12

Sig courtesy of mack.
canadaluvsdalla

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
Was there an official count on how many times Rob sent out a Defensive package with the wrong number of players? I know many times we had 10 guys out there and a few times we had 12

We once had 13

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@DavidMooreDMN: Sources say NT Josh Brent won't play for the Cowboys in 2013, but club doesn't want to comment publicly until NFL rules on his status.

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Back by popular demand.... Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:

And Just for TO7:

Quote:
Listen
Tomlin worked with Kiffin and defensive line coach Rod Marinelli in Tampa Bay.
http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4706689/mike-tomlin-is-big-fan-of-monte-kiffin

Meh. I don't hate the signing of Kiffin. I am happy that the son of Ryan was shown the door, I just would not have gone with Kiffin. I was appeased by Marinelli. But I would still gladly trade both for Horton. Nice to see they are well respected, though. They certainly have earned that.

In Redball I Trust!
flyingmonkey30

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

canadaluvsdalla wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:

We once had 13

And 9.

Check out my draft thread!
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=490478t=447580&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Rtnldave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "fundamenatly sound" thing is what caught my eye. If it was said in the past, I must have missed it. But in all honesty, playing fundamentaly sound football with good, not great players, will take you further than playng a half a$$ed style of football with great players. Just my opinion.
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desperado Dan wrote:
Desperado82 wrote:
Quote:

You must be more optimistic than I am, because when I hear it, I think, "I've heard this before."

Youve heard the Steelers HC say that we are hiring a great coach that will make us fundamentally sound?

I can honestly say that I have never heard a steelers coach talk us up before outside of the pre-game political mumbo jumbo.
Texas_OutLaw7

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/article-RowanKavner/Depth-Of-Dooley%E2%80%99s-Football-Knowledge-Caught-Garrett%E2%80%99s-Eye/a554b14f-814e-4da4-85ce-aadd299fe223

Love it.

Quote:
“He understands, as Nick Saban used to say, you guys are looking at this thing through a straw, meaning everybody views the entire game through what their responsibility is,” Garrett said. “As a head coach, you have to step back and see the whole landscape and see what is best for your football team. Derrick, having been in that situation for six years, understands that perspective.”

Garrett said a lot of college ideas are being incorporated into the professional game. In his own division alone, the Eagles hired Oregon coach Chip Kelly to lead the group. Last year, the Redskins developed their whole offense to fit the versatile style of rookie quarterback Robert Griffin III.

It was possible the Cowboys would never get to hear the college ideas brought forth by Dooley, though, because he wasn’t looking for work immediately after his time at Tennessee was through.

In Redball I Trust!
Matts4313

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Gosselin is officially an idiot. How does he have a job with no knowledge on how the NFL works....

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20130321-gosselin-why-the-cowboys-could-be-the-only-team-in-nfl-history-not-to-participate-in-the-draft.ece?ssimg=912695#ssStory933284

Quote:
On what happens if the Cowboys can’t get a deal done with Tony Romo before the draft:

Gosselin: “You can’t draft them. There are money slots for all the rounds and all the picks. If you don’t have the money for your first round pick, you can’t make it. You can’t draft. They have to clear the money up before they go on the clock or they can’t make draft picks, and the problem gets worse. If they restructure Romo, they can probably get $3 million (under the cap), which would allow you to draft but again, they’re right at that ceiling. You can’t do anything. My guess is they’ll cut Doug Free come June 1. They can’t even cut the guy now because they can’t take the cap hit, same with Marcus Spears. This team is pressed against the cap like no other team.”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: