Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Tomlin at Tenn Pro day
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Tomlin at Tenn Pro day Reply with quote

Quote:
Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, a friend of UT head coach Butch Jones, was the most prominent NFL official in attendance. He spent time chatting with Bray while watching drills Wednesday.

Getting the low down on all the Tenn WR in the draft.

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
steelcurtain29

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They weren't there for that reason.

Quote:
Steelers' braintrust had dinner with Tennessee QB Tyler Bray before attending his Pro Day.

- Adam Schefter
AlanFanecaFan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Quote:
Steelers' braintrust had dinner with Tennessee QB Tyler Bray before attending his Pro Day.

- Adam Schefter

They interviewed Geno Smith at the combine for the exact reason Jebrick stated...lowdown on the WRs...seeing Bray is just a side dish.

Gunny Highway wrote:
Ed Reed coughs real hard and his other testicle descends and he admits Hines Ward has far more grit than he does
Wardfan05

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelcurtain29 wrote:

Quote:

- Adam Schefter

Does it seem like they've been looking at a lot more QB's this year than in recent years?

-Geno Smith
- Tyler Bray
- Landry Jones

Are they simply picking the QB's brains on their receivers, or trying to find a guy who can become the future backup/potential trade chip?

- Thanks, Joe_is_the_best
wwhickok

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Quote:

- Adam Schefter

Does it seem like they've been looking at a lot more QB's this year than in recent years?

-Geno Smith
- Tyler Bray
- Landry Jones

Are they simply picking the QB's brains on their receivers, or trying to find a guy who can become the future backup/potential trade chip?

Both. Its certainly the best way to see how a WR relates and communicates witha QB and I have no doubt they are legitimately interested in at least considering Bray or Landry
jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wardfan05 wrote:
steelcurtain29 wrote:

Quote:

- Adam Schefter

-Geno Smith
- Tyler Bray
- Landry Jones

Haley and Fischer had dinner with EJ Manuel on Mon. too.
jebrick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THey talked to Bray at the combine as well.

I think the Steelers are looking hard at QB to draft. Bray and Manuel would be great. mid round prospects

"You build with draft choices. You find people with talents adaptable to your plans and then you teach them to do things the way we do them." - Chuck Noll
at23steelers

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jebrick wrote:
THey talked to Bray at the combine as well.

I think the Steelers are looking hard at QB to draft. Bray and Manuel would be great. mid round prospects

I saw Mike Glennon's stock is dropping. Would you take him with a 3rd or 4th round pick? How would you rank those 3?
jcm412

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I wouldn't touch any until the 5th.
kysteeler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jcm412 wrote:
Personally I wouldn't touch any until the 5th.

I think if the right guy is there in the 4th I would be on board. Say they got LB, WR, RB (and S if we lose Sanders), then a QB in the 4th would be ok.

I think Brey has the better chance of being there in the 4th than EJ
Le-Morte-dJames

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

5th is generally where I would start looking for developmental QB's. we have our primary backup in place for the next couple years so we really don't need to draft a QB unless their is serious value. We have too many needs to use a 1st-4th round pick on a guy that will most likely be our 3rd stringer for the next 2-3 years
JLambert58

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't understand why Tomlin is wasting his time with QBs. Seems like he has QB fetish. Last year it was Kirk Cousins. This year, Geno Smith?? A complete waste of time. Bray? Why would we take a QB this year? Ben1, Gradkowski2, Chuck3 period. We've got way important needs to fill. I hope as some mentioned earlier that he is simply picking their brains about WRs and other players on the team. Otherwise it makes no sense. Wait until next year T.

Although I'm glad he's scouting the Tenn WRs.
GreasyApples

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was watching NFL Network, and Mayock (I think?) mentioned Tomlin asking Patterson to see his vert.

Bray'd go too early for my taste if we were interested.
Steeler Hitman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think that the Steelers will openly tip their hand. Teams are always trying to get a read on what their opponents are looking at and no way the Steelers tip their hand on who they are really interested in.

Good teams will scout all positions and speak glowingly about players people think they are interested in. The one's they are uh or meh on are the ones they are usually interested in. You have to keep a poker face.

Remember 2008? The Steelers were interested in a OG prospect who was considered a late round prospect. The early word was the Stlers loved Brendan Albert. During the individual workouts someone discovered that Brendan had pretty good feet and could probaly play LT. Kansas City snatched him several positions before us. You learn to give the generic answers that you constantly hear Colbert and Tomlin give: "We will improve our football team at any position." "We are retooling not rebuilding."

Right now fans and the media are making a big deal about the time spent talking to QB's. That is alright because we all know that they are not taking a QB in the first few rounds. Rest assurred they want to have their homework done on Patterson if he falls to us at #17 a la Mendy and DeCastro. The Steelers will do their homework so that they know if they should move down in round one or up in round two for Hunter and what type of person is Da'Rick Rogers. I'm sure there are OL's, DL's and LB's the Steelers will look at as well and speak glowingly about. Very Happy

Thanks for the Sig CalhounLambeau!
grubs10

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope this means they are actually interested in any of the three receivers there. I would love any of those three on the Steelers as long as we aren't reaching for Hunter or Rogers. If we get a chance at Patterson without a crazy trade then it isn't a reach IMO.

Just remembered Rogers didn't play at Tennessee last year. He wasn't there correct?

^Props to jgutowski24 on the Sweet Wiz Style Sig^

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Pittsburgh Steelers All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: