Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

Blaine Gabbert
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Blaine Gabbert Reply with quote

Assuming you guys draft Geno. What would you want in return? [/code][/list]

#JDI
MoJo122-b-21

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we really need another Geno thread? This exact conversation is already in the other thread.

Clearly, when you draft an expected franchise quarterback, the old one is shown the door.

"We're not trying to win the AFC South, we're trying to own the AFC South."
- Gus Bradley
bigbadbuff23835

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoJo122-b-21 wrote:
Do we really need another Geno thread? This exact conversation is already in the other thread.

Clearly, when you draft an expected franchise quarterback, the old one is shown the door.

K thanks for the help brah.

#JDI
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they get offered a first or early second, I don't see Gabbert getting dealt. I also don't see any team giving that up either.

Geno won't be given the starting job. It would be assumed that he would beat out Gabbert and Henne, but he would have to do exactly that. If Gabbert catches fire in the offseason and proved why he was the pick he was, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him win the starting job. He'll be given the opportunity that Brees was given when the Chargers drafted Rivers, although it will because of a true open competition, not because of a holdout.

I just don't see the front office removing the top competition for Geno unless they're given a great deal of compensation; compensation that I just don't see another team giving up, given his level of performance at the pro level so far.

- Best since day one -
The road to success is always under construction - Gus Bradley

Last edited by iPwn on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
KhanYouDigIt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
Geno won't be given the starting job

If we take Geno at 2, there will not be a competition. It will be Geno's job.

No way Dave and Gus let Blaine/Chad start over their "guy".

TEDDY TEDDY TEDDY

Props to JMG on the sig
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

It would be stupid to do it that way, IMO. They've talked about how they don't care who you are, that no matter what, you will always be in competition, then gift the the most important job on the team to a rookie who can't beat out a player who is a couple months older than him, just because of who is his? Doesn't that seem kinda counter-intuitive to everything that's been talked about so far? If Gabbert outplays Geno, he should play.

There's no reason to rush Geno into the starting job if he isn't outplaying who is in front of him. Isn't that what we were complaining about with Gabbert his rookie year? Why screw it up again?

- Best since day one -
Jaguarfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

It would be stupid to do it that way, IMO. They've talked about how they don't care who you are, that no matter what, you will always be in competition, then gift the the most important job on the team to a rookie who can't beat out a player who is a couple months older than him, just because of who is his? Doesn't that seem kinda counter-intuitive to everything that's been talked about so far? If Gabbert outplays Geno, he should play.

There's no reason to rush Geno into the starting job if he isn't outplaying who is in front of him. Isn't that what we were complaining about with Gabbert his rookie year? Why screw it up again?

If we had a good QB on our roster, or an aging veteran who could hold the team over until Geno was ready, not starting Geno would be fine. Odds are, the best QB besides Geno would be Blaine Gabbert. The job would be Geno's without question. Hell, if Geno didn't win the job, I'd be worried.

Poz- 68 comb tackles, 1 sack 2 int
Henne- 103/173 1,222 yards 2 td 5 int 72.9 rating
#JDI
MightyRx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguarfan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

If we had a good QB on our roster, or an aging veteran who could hold the team over until Geno was ready, not starting Geno would be fine. Odds are, the best QB besides Geno would be Blaine Gabbert. The job would be Geno's without question. Hell, if Geno didn't win the job, I'd be worried.

I wouldn't.
Gabbert has shown, at least in practice and preseason, that he can play.
It's when the games started counting that his play deteriorated.
Which can be attributed as much to bad coaching as well as Gabbert not being up to task.
iPwn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyRx wrote:
Jaguarfan wrote:
iPwn wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

I wouldn't.
Gabbert has shown, at least in practice and preseason, that he can play.
It's when the games started counting that his play deteriorated.
Which can be attributed as much to bad coaching as well as Gabbert not being up to task.
And the players around him, as well. That o-line did him no favors.

Also, things like footwork and getting the playbook down might be something that takes a bit of time for him to transition, and they'd rather he continue learning, rather than throwing him in the fire to work it out.

That said, unless it's a "getting up to speed" type thing, where they're waiting for him to develop specific parts of his game first, I would expect him to beat out whomever was on the roster. But I'd still hope that it would be a fair competition where the best player was given the chance to start.

I mean people would have said they would be worried if Rivers couldn't beat out Brees when he came in, but I think even if the competition had been fair and not based on Rivers's holdout, that Brees would have won the job. It's entirely plausible that we see that type of scenerio play out here, even if not likely.

- Best since day one -
Tugboat

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iPwn wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Talk is cheap though. I'll believe that we'd draft a QB at #2 with the expectations that go along with that, only to give the starting job to the 'old regime guy', when i see it.

It's easy to talk big about 'no player is safe', 'no spot is guaranteed'...but when you're talking about a QB at #2...there's some well established subtext to what's being said there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Blaine Gabbert Reply with quote

bigbadbuff23835 wrote:
Assuming you guys draft Geno. What would you want in return? [/code][/list]

want in return for what? Gabbert?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

exactly why putting my distaste for Geno as a high pick aside, I don't see Geno being the pick at #2, despite the supposed interest. Preaching competition and then drafting a QB at #2 when there is a top 10 pick from just 2 years ago on the roster would send mixed messages.
JaguarCrazy2832

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

Rushing him before he is ready would be just as dumb if not more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

My question is...what makes a QB who isn't ready to start, worthy of the #2 pick?

Other teams find these guys, like Kaepernick in the 2nd round. If we're finding our 'raw upside' QB with major holes in his game at #2 overall, not the #2 round...are we really getting ahead?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tugboat wrote:
JaguarCrazy2832 wrote:
KhanYouDigIt wrote:
iPwn wrote:

My question is...what makes a QB who isn't ready to start, worthy of the #2 pick?

Other teams find these guys, like Kaepernick in the 2nd round. If we're finding our 'raw upside' QB with major holes in his game at #2 overall, not the #2 round...are we really getting ahead?
Eli Manning wasn't ready to go day one and struggled as bad as Gabbert his rookie year, and I don't know anyone who will ever tell you he wasn't worth the first pick (or the #5 pick plus everything else that was given up for him) or that the Giants didn't end up well ahead by getting him.

- Best since day one -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Jacksonville Jaguars All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: