Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

How would you rank our need positions?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matts4313

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Of all the unknowns on our roster, it seems to me like RT has the most viable in-house solution with Jeremy Parnell. It surprises me to see OT so high on the list for some people.

I'd probably rank it:

1) OG/C - Definitely need one, but would be very happy to land two interior linemen.

2) DT - Age, depth, and importance of the position for our team is why I'd rank it second. Though I don't know if we need to force it in the draft. We could probably get by with Lissemore backing up Hatcher and Ratliff for 2013 if need be.

3) S - Even if both Barry Church and Matt Johnson develop into dependable, quality starters (big if), we need more players there.

The good thing is, I think there is some depth at all 3 positions in the draft. If we take the best guy on the board out of these positions with our first 3 picks, I think there's a pretty good chance we end up with 3 immediate (or early) starters.

I dont get it. How is DE not a bigger need. We have 3 of those guys on the entire roster, and truthfully (Spencer) would probably be served best in the "elephant" SOLB role...

Also - one could argue that a Cook/Costa/MB trio looks better at Center than just having Parnell at RT with no back up plan. Agree?
Baixis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RT - Free is just awful and should never again be anything more than a backup.

RG - It sounds like Costa is going to continue to start, so a stud next to him would help two spots!

S - I like the two we have, but neither has a ton of experience and both are coming off injuries. Do we even have a 3rd or 4th safety?! Don't say McCray!!!

RB - I think this is a bigger need than most I guess. I love Murray, but he hasn't proven he can stay healthy all year, and when he's hurt, we have NOBODY right now. That makes this a pretty big need in my book!

DE - I like Crawford so far. I think Hatcher can play out there too, but is probably better inside, which is why I say DE rather than DT.

WR/CB - Who's our #2 when Miles goes down? Who's our slot corner if one of the starters misses time? Simply need more depth at these two spots!
SHSTE92

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG - Just a joke.
S - Needed one for years, even more important in Tampa 2.
OLB - Wilber and Albright? And Carter who can't stay healthy? Big need.
OT - Even if Parnell beats out Free, is that a huge win for the team?
C - Just weak.

DE - No true 4-3 DE on the roster, need depth behind Spencer and Ware.
MLB - Screwed if Lee gets hurt.
RB - Screw is Murray gets hurt.

WR - No one we can really start on the outside beyond Austin and Bryant.
TE - Need a blocking tight end.

DT - Ratliff, Hatcher, Crawford, Lissemore, Price...could stand to ad to it but not bad.
FB - Can't hurt to challenge Vickers.

CB - Claiborne, Carr, Scandrick and Moore. I like it.
QB - Not young, but solid starter and back-up.

Member of the Tank for Jameis Winston Fan Club #Lamest4Jameis
Nextyearfordaboyz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
Nextyearfordaboyz wrote:
Of all the unknowns on our roster, it seems to me like RT has the most viable in-house solution with Jeremy Parnell. It surprises me to see OT so high on the list for some people.

I'd probably rank it:

1) OG/C - Definitely need one, but would be very happy to land two interior linemen.

2) DT - Age, depth, and importance of the position for our team is why I'd rank it second. Though I don't know if we need to force it in the draft. We could probably get by with Lissemore backing up Hatcher and Ratliff for 2013 if need be.

3) S - Even if both Barry Church and Matt Johnson develop into dependable, quality starters (big if), we need more players there.

The good thing is, I think there is some depth at all 3 positions in the draft. If we take the best guy on the board out of these positions with our first 3 picks, I think there's a pretty good chance we end up with 3 immediate (or early) starters.

I dont get it. How is DE not a bigger need. We have 3 of those guys on the entire roster, and truthfully (Spencer) would probably be served best in the "elephant" SOLB role...

Also - one could argue that a Cook/Costa/MB trio looks better at Center than just having Parnell at RT with no back up plan. Agree?

We've got Ware at one end, Spencer at the other, and a former 3rd round pick that looked good last season as a backup. I don't buy Spencer as the OLB. Kiffin's scheme relies on getting pressure with your front 4, and Spencer can do that.

I'm not saying there is no need, but I would be ok with a bargain vet and a mid-round rookie. The 3-tech is said to be the most important position on this defense. We need to develop a good one.

Also, I don't disagree with the need for a tackle. But it's not nearly enough to make it the number 1 need in my opinion. I'd like to see Parnell get a shot. He's earned it, imo, where those center options have not.

Location: I state my opinion. You Listen. I won't change my stance.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Parnell also. I remember one of the games this season he was a starter on Free's side and I only found out at the end of the game he was starting and I never once looked at his side cause there wasn't any pressure coming.

Dirk Gently on 2012 Cowboys O-line wrote:
I think last year we gave up pressure to 3 jewish ladies from brooklyn.
textaz03

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG
1Tech
ROT
Saf
SAM
3Tech
OC
DE
OG
RB
WR
QB
TE

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyways" - John Wayne
roysmyboy31

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OG- terrible players there
RT- Free will almost certainly be cut, so we will need someone here
S- in need of at least one quality player, we are very unproven here and good safety play is important in Kiffin's scheme
C- Don't like what we have here either. Not a great sign when Phil Costa is our best player at the position.
DT/DE- we could use more big guys up front
RB- Murray's durability is concerning to me and we need a better backup anyway
SAM- just because we don't really have anyone there right now, but there could be someone on our roster that can play it at a serviceable level
QB- not that high with Romo here, but I have thought that we need to start preparing for life after Romo so we are not caught without any plan at QB when he leaves. Couldn't hurt late.

Most Valuable Poster (6th Ballot)

FF Fanatic

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have OG and S as my top 2.

In Redball I Trust!
The price of progress is trusting the process.
Heart. Leadership. Passion. Will.
The_Slamman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matts4313 wrote:
The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
#1 - SAM
#2 - Safety
#3 - Guard
#4 - Tackle
#5 - 1-Tech

Tonight before I go to bed, I will thank God that you are not the GM of the Dallas Cowboys.

You pray to all the western gods, I will take the eastern ones.

Laughing

Deal!!!

In terms of needs, I'm going to keep it really simple... Do whatever it takes to fix the OL and make it good. In the NFL today, even the best defenses get torched because of the rule changes. Teams must be prepared to win in a shootout. OL above all else including safety, 3 tech, 1 tech and SOLB.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im basing my list assuming that Free is cut.

RT--Id love to think that Parnell could potentially be the second best offensive lineman on the team after tyron smith, but im not willing to put all our eggs in one basket. Frankly we dont know much at all about him. He could be the absolute worst player on the offensive line.

RG-- Burningduece is terrible. An actual burning duece could out perform him at RG.

S-- Church coming off an achilles and Matt Johnson proved nothing last season besides he could be very injury prone. I do like both players, but we would be banking on a ton of unknowns here.

C-- Costa, Cook, every option we have sucks.

LG-- i like Livings, but he could easily be upgraded. Do i expect us to fix every spot on the o line? No, I dont. And Livings should be the last one to go based off of last year, but this should be one of our top needs nonetheless.

SLB--this depends if we play Spencer here on first and second down. If we do. DE can be moved to this spot.

DE--see above post. Not a huge need if spencer is playing every down at DE. If he is playing at SLB then it becomes a need.

DT-- if Spencer plays SLB and we dont fill the DE spot we could move hatcher out to DE. Thus, opening up another position of need at DT.

If you can follow my mess of an explanation between SLB, DE, and DT congrats. Good news is we do have some flexibility at these positions. Our needs at these spots depend on where spencer and hatcher play.
Dboys88-82

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The_Slamman wrote:
MaddHatter wrote:
#1 - SAM
#2 - Safety
#3 - Guard
#4 - Tackle
#5 - 1-Tech

Tonight before I go to bed, I will thank God that you are not the GM of the Dallas Cowboys.

Ditto.
Baixis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dboys88-82 wrote:
Im basing my list assuming that Free is cut.

RT--Id love to think that Parnell could potentially be the second best offensive lineman on the team after tyron smith, but im not willing to put all our eggs in one basket. Frankly we dont know much at all about him. He could be the absolute worst player on the offensive line.

RG-- Burningduece is terrible. An actual burning duece could out perform him at RG.

S-- Church coming off an achilles and Matt Johnson proved nothing last season besides he could be very injury prone. I do like both players, but we would be banking on a ton of unknowns here.

C-- Costa, Cook, every option we have sucks.

LG-- i like Livings, but he could easily be upgraded. Do i expect us to fix every spot on the o line? No, I dont. And Livings should be the last one to go based off of last year, but this should be one of our top needs nonetheless.

SLB--this depends if we play Spencer here on first and second down. If we do. DE can be moved to this spot.

DE--see above post. Not a huge need if spencer is playing every down at DE. If he is playing at SLB then it becomes a need.

DT-- if Spencer plays SLB and we dont fill the DE spot we could move hatcher out to DE. Thus, opening up another position of need at DT.

If you can follow my mess of an explanation between SLB, DE, and DT congrats. Good news is we do have some flexibility at these positions. Our needs at these spots depend on where spencer and hatcher play.

So it looks like you're all for replacing every OL spot except Smith. Not a horrible idea I guess, but the MOST pressing needs? So tell me, once that line is fixed, who exactly is gonna carry then rock WHEN Murray goes down? And heaven forbid Miles' little hammies act up at the same time as Murray is out! I don't totally disagree with, but I just can't understand how you don't even mention RB or WR. Replacing TWO OL this year would be good IMO. We can get the other two next year.
plan9misfit

FF Fanatic
Most Valuable Poster (5th Ballot)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texas_OutLaw7 wrote:
I have OG and S as my top 2.

My top 5 needs:

1. OG
2. C
3. S
4. DE
5. DT

RT is also a need, but if we select an OG and a C, it should help the entire line.

Co-Founder: DCRA - No McQuistan, No Super Bowl
Northland wrote:
If mediocrity is your SuperBowl then Garrett is your Lombardi.
MaddHatter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see people bashing my list but nobody has taken the time to actually address why they feel it's misguided. It's in line with most other lists you'll find, I simply placed the one position where we have nobody of starter quality higher than others.

Sig courtesy of mack.
Baixis

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaddHatter wrote:
I see people bashing my list but nobody has taken the time to actually address why they feel it's misguided. It's in line with most other lists you'll find, I simply placed the one position where we have nobody of starter quality higher than others.

Well I haven't bashed it, BUT, I will say that SAM is far from our biggest need, BECAUSE, we drafted Wilber just last year in the 4th. Him and Albright - who has shown some decent stuff himself AND had pretty darn good measurables coming out of college - should be able to hold down that spot, with Sims and possibly Spencer subbing in certain situations. That makes SAM less than say RT, where we have two guys - one of which will probably get cut, and the other who has never been anything but a backup. It also puts SAM behind a spot like Safety, where again, we have two guys, BOTH coming off injury, and NEITHER having much experience, or even NONE. Personally, I also think SAM is behind a spot like RB, because we all know that Murray will spend some time injured. During that time, who is our RB?! Dunbar? Tanner? Please! We have to have someone who can carry 15-20 balls a game, for a few games at least. So anyway, hope that helps with WHY people don't like your list.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Dallas Cowboys All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: