Discuss football with over 60,000 fans. Free Membership. Join now!

 FAQFAQ  RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FootballsFuture.com Forum Index
FootballsFuture.com Home

No Longer able to "Show their Horns" - Rule Change
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Kellerman


Joined: 16 May 2010
Posts: 3598
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
My understanding is that it will be called when the RB seeks out the contact in the open field and they didn't have to. I actually think this would affect Adrian near the sidelines more than anything.

I think this is an example of the type of play they want to eliminate. He didnt lead with his head here, but that's the type of situation they are looking at IMO: http://youtu.be/Bqs24InfI7g


More time should be spend teaching players how to tackle. Al Harris is basically standing upright, if you watch the hit closely, it's actually Harris who lowers his head. Adrian leans forward and powers through him.

I've been watching through a couple of clips of these head to head hits, and the common factor that seems to stand out is poor tackling form. Defensive players who are standing upright, and trying to tackle with their head/shoulder, i.e. putting their head at head height trying to tackle a player at full tilt. These hits wouldn't happen if players tackled properly (i.e. rugby tackle, hit/drive with shoulder, head on the outside of the player, low to high).
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6981
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kellerman wrote:
More time should be spend teaching players how to tackle. Al Harris is basically standing upright, if you watch the hit closely, it's actually Harris who lowers his head. Adrian leans forward and powers through him.

I've been watching through a couple of clips of these head to head hits, and the common factor that seems to stand out is poor tackling form. Defensive players who are standing upright, and trying to tackle with their head/shoulder, i.e. putting their head at head height trying to tackle a player at full tilt. These hits wouldn't happen if players tackled properly (i.e. rugby tackle, hit/drive with shoulder, head on the outside of the player, low to high).


Like I said, my example was more to show the type of situation the rule would be enforced. I do not think it would be called on that specific play, though I could see refs' judgment being affected by how the defender falls (I hope not though)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6981
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new rule prohibits ball carriers and defensive players from initiating contact in the open field with the crown of the helmet. The crown, as explained by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, is the top of the helmet. The facemask and hairline of the helmet may still be used to initiate contact.

Fisher emphasized that ball carriers will be permitted to protect themselves, by dropping their pads and dipping their helmets. A foul arises only if the top of the helmet is used to ram the opponent.

In that way, the new rule is an extension of the rule against spearing, which in NFL parlance means hitting a player who is on the ground with the crown (top) of the helmet.

Also, the blow with the top of the helmet must be “forcible,” a know-it-when-you-see-it standard that could potentially cause reasonable minds to differ. As a result, the decision will be treated as a judgment call, not subject to replay review.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/new-helmet-use-rule-is-more-narrow-limited-than-believed/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25290
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a safety standpoint this rule makes all the sense in the world.

From a football standpoint it remains to be seen.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleNation22


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 420
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klomp wrote:
The new rule prohibits ball carriers and defensive players from initiating contact in the open field with the crown of the helmet. The crown, as explained by Rams coach Jeff Fisher, is the top of the helmet. The facemask and hairline of the helmet may still be used to initiate contact.

Fisher emphasized that ball carriers will be permitted to protect themselves, by dropping their pads and dipping their helmets. A foul arises only if the top of the helmet is used to ram the opponent.

In that way, the new rule is an extension of the rule against spearing, which in NFL parlance means hitting a player who is on the ground with the crown (top) of the helmet.

Also, the blow with the top of the helmet must be “forcible,” a know-it-when-you-see-it standard that could potentially cause reasonable minds to differ. As a result, the decision will be treated as a judgment call, not subject to replay review.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/20/new-helmet-use-rule-is-more-narrow-limited-than-believed/


This leads me to believe it will get called all to often.
The defender will most likely be at fault in most cases I think, like the Al Harris play, but I think the offensive player will get called for it more.

Like was mentioned earlier, there should be more emphasis on teaching defenders how to tackle.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PrplChilPill


Joined: 26 Feb 2007
Posts: 9161
Location: SLP, MN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Five hits all of last year? How will removing 5 hits make the game safer? Was anyone hurt on those five hits?

So many ways to make the game safer, this seems like one of those "it will make the game safer" statements that has no basis in reality, but passes so they can all feel good about themselves, while guys get concussions and broken knees.....
_________________
Wins are a team stat, not a QB stat
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vikings209


Joined: 18 Dec 2006
Posts: 1219
Location: San Diego
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil Uno wrote:
31-1 :?

I'm guessing the 1 was Wilf and all the other owners are just mad they don't have Adrian Peterson. 8)


Nope it was the Bengals that voted against it.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freakout


Joined: 05 Mar 2007
Posts: 2975
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is dumb that it isn't reviewable. If it hardly ever happens then how is having a occasional challenge going to hurt anything.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Al Harris play would be called. He cleans his clock with his shoulder which is what they say they want to see more of. He doesn't square up and doesn't lead with the crown of his head, no penalty IMO.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
twslhs20


Joined: 28 Feb 2008
Posts: 12473
Location: Where the true depth of one's soul doesn't resonate with the world
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the best hits of all time. yet illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R978jQELomo

not illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcn4Iya0AQ
_________________

Joe_is_the_best ^^
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PurpleNation22


Joined: 07 Jan 2013
Posts: 420
Location: Iowa
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

twslhs20 wrote:
one of the best hits of all time. yet illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R978jQELomo

not illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcn4Iya0AQ


According to the new rules, yes the AD one would be illegal.

One could argue the Brown hit was reckless and Bush was defenseless.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PurpleNation22 wrote:
twslhs20 wrote:
one of the best hits of all time. yet illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R978jQELomo

not illegal?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcn4Iya0AQ


According to the new rules, yes the AD one would be illegal.

One could argue the Brown hit was reckless and Bush was defenseless.


This is where I'm hopeful they call it correctly. In the first play AD catches the ball, turns around and the defender is right there. I don't feel that he squares up and launches himself in that instance. IMO shouldn't be penalized.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rpmwr19


Moderator
Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 25290
Location: Stillwater, MN
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they call it correctly that's a penalty; launching has nothing to do with it.
_________________
RPMs Viking Roster/Cap Tracker
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fishtanked


Joined: 15 Mar 2008
Posts: 807
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpmwr19 wrote:
If they call it correctly that's a penalty; launching has nothing to do with it.


Not the way I interpret the rule, he doesn't have time to square up to deliver the hit.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Klomp


Joined: 11 Aug 2011
Posts: 6981
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishtanked wrote:
rpmwr19 wrote:
If they call it correctly that's a penalty; launching has nothing to do with it.


Not the way I interpret the rule, he doesn't have time to square up to deliver the hit.


My interpretation as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   

Post new topic   Reply to topic    FootballsFuture.com Forum Index -> Minnesota Vikings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group